• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:09 AM

Mostlikeky it is CAN or LIN

sig.jpg
sig1.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Top speed runs are killers no matter how well the car is set up.

#82 showgun

showgun

R32 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:15 AM

The T-Rex kit seems to be receiving good reviews.

Posted Image
2003 Z33 Millennium Jade, Track (SOLD)
ARC|Bride|ChargeSpeed|Cosworth|DAMD|HKS|JWT|Mastergrade|NISMO|STANCE|SSR (SP3)|TurboXS|VOLK (RE-30)|VISracing|Vortech

2009 Super Silver, Premium Edition R35
ALCON|AMS|BBS|COBB|ENDLESS|Forged Performance|GTC TITAN|Speed For Sale| Swift Springs

#83 kholdstare

kholdstare

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:31 AM

you mean this kit right?

https://theshophoust...duct/t-rex-pro/

Can I see the factory gauges with this unit as well (as software implementation)? Will it use factory GPS?

Edited by kholdstare, 26 October 2020 - 04:51 AM.

sig.jpg
sig1.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

#84 wspy

wspy

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:43 AM

you mean this kit right?

https://theshophoust...duct/t-rex-pro/

Can I see the factory gauges with this unit as well (as software implementation)? Will it use factory GPS?

I believe that it can do/show everything like stock plus the other stuff. They (TheShopHouston) recently had a post on IG of a high HP car that has this installed.

#85 FauxshowGTR

FauxshowGTR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:44 AM

The T-Rex kit seems to be receiving good reviews.

Ya it looks sorta cool but I think it looks way too overpowering and out of place on the GTR and at 1k more I just don’t wanna go this route.

the AC wheel at the old function wheel really bothers me. If I had CBA w the old screen it would be more likely but I’m DBA

2015 BE recently acquired  :shiftdrive:

#86 kholdstare

kholdstare

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:38 AM

ok i out with the trex unit.

this is more an android tablet than a car implementation. only thing you can control is AC and all the music stufff, but no factory gauges.

you have to use the ecutek app and dongle for the gauges. that might be ok for tuners but is far away from the stylish factory gauges ( btw which were designed by polyphony digital, gran turismo 6)

For 1.6k I expect to have all functions like OEM.

Edited by kholdstare, 27 October 2020 - 03:55 AM.

sig.jpg
sig1.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

#87 spdmn75

spdmn75

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:53 AM

Thats why I vote to separate the audio from the rest of the factory functions. A stand alone audio has more flexibility and retains factory gauges

Edited by spdmn75, 27 October 2020 - 11:15 AM.

'15 GTR FBO

'20 Civic Type R

(11 previous LS cars)

IG   spdmn75

#88 FauxshowGTR

FauxshowGTR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:03 AM

Thats who vote to separate the audio from the rest of the factory functions. A stand alone audio has more flexibility and retains factory gauges

I think you have a few families to choose from for your Audio improvements:

1. If you just want to upgrade your Sound quality
    • Best option is to go aftermarket headunit
    • Remove OEM Sub and replace with aftermarket amp and sub using (mostly) factory wiring
    • 2nd best option is to upgrade the OEM speakers, but you will be limited on handling power and thus speaker selection (And thus questionably worth the effort
  2. If you want to improve your user experience (add carplay, additional cams, gauges, etc...)
  3. If you want both
    • Improved sound quality and user experience certainly leans heavily to upgrading to AM headunit system (either new TRex, or custom 2nd radio) and  then adding your preferred speaker arrangement
    • I think there is a "middle ground" here by going with the more affordable intercept style (SBD, Niffty city, etc...) to get additional user functions and expansion, and then only add a removable subwoofer in the boot or with a special box like R35audio kit (depends if you are ok with 8's or want 10" or 12" woofer

I am leaning to the last option. More affordable and factory appearance, but with sub additional bass for a fuller sound. Im not sure how well it will balance with the factory components but I don't see a easy to way to power them with an AMP while still keeping factory HU.

But thats why I am here for advise :wink:

#89 spdmn75

spdmn75

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:20 AM

i'm on my 5th aftermarket radio setup. After using the Apple Carplay in another car it seemed to be the better option over my ipad setup. I'm currently finishing up a Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX that fits the factory location of where my ipad was. This does require the AC controls to be relocated, but leaves the factory guage screen in place. I really dislike the look of that vertical screen unit.

'15 GTR FBO

'20 Civic Type R

(11 previous LS cars)

IG   spdmn75

#90 FauxshowGTR

FauxshowGTR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:27 PM

i'm on my 5th aftermarket radio setup. After using the Apple Carplay in another car it seemed to be the better option over my ipad setup. I'm currently finishing up a Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX that fits the factory location of where my ipad was. This does require the AC controls to be relocated, but leaves the factory guage screen in place. I really dislike the look of that vertical screen unit.

With all of your experience, How do you feel about adding the intercept Car Play type system to allow for carplay on the OEM system, and then adding a 1-DIN Headunit where the CD Player is (keep the RRR panel in place) and use the AM HU to drive the external stereo setup?

Im not sure the power of the OEM Bose amp but if its enough to get decent sound out of aftermarket 3ways, I would even vote to ditch the DIN approach and just add a removable rear sub in the trunk tapped into the mono leads.

#91 spdmn75

spdmn75

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:55 PM

Thats one option but then you would need some war to switch back and forth on the audio or have a dedicated speaker for the apple car play part

'15 GTR FBO

'20 Civic Type R

(11 previous LS cars)

IG   spdmn75

#92 FauxshowGTR

FauxshowGTR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:30 PM

Thats one option but then you would need some war to switch back and forth on the audio or have a dedicated speaker for the apple car play part

The more I think about it...stick with the factory satellites, add a 10in sub that easily removable in trunk for when you need to haul luggage or go to track, and add the carplay module.

While the factory 3ways arent world class I think they could sound alright when balanced with a sub

#93 WholeGrainHomie

WholeGrainHomie

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 10:45 AM

I think you have a few families to choose from for your Audio improvements:

1. If you just want to upgrade your Sound quality
    • Best option is to go aftermarket headunit
    • Remove OEM Sub and replace with aftermarket amp and sub using (mostly) factory wiring
    • 2nd best option is to upgrade the OEM speakers, but you will be limited on handling power and thus speaker selection (And thus questionably worth the effort
  2. If you want to improve your user experience (add carplay, additional cams, gauges, etc...)
  3. If you want both
    • Improved sound quality and user experience certainly leans heavily to upgrading to AM headunit system (either new TRex, or custom 2nd radio) and  then adding your preferred speaker arrangement
    • I think there is a "middle ground" here by going with the more affordable intercept style (SBD, Niffty city, etc...) to get additional user functions and expansion, and then only add a removable subwoofer in the boot or with a special box like R35audio kit (depends if you are ok with 8's or want 10" or 12" woofer

I am leaning to the last option. More affordable and factory appearance, but with sub additional bass for a fuller sound. Im not sure how well it will balance with the factory components but I don't see a easy to way to power them with an AMP while still keeping factory HU.

But thats why I am here for advise :wink:

Nifty City has great costumer service and they seem to have good support for their module. My only thing is that I wish to have the console with the latest version of Android or at least version 10. I just don't want my system to be obsolete in the near future. Hardware needs some more RAM as well. CarPlay might be laggy after some updates.

#94 kholdstare

kholdstare

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 05:21 AM

I was unable to find a user manual or detailed description about the nifty city module.

How to switch cams? will it display OEM gauges?

sig.jpg
sig1.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

#95 ymararma

ymararma

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 07:55 PM

Where do we buy one of these CAR PLAY upgrades?

#96 chavoush

chavoush

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:32 PM

Hi guys, sorry have been out of the loop for a while, i guess i can blame it on covid. So back in september I said my SBD failed, etc. It did. On a whim (for other things it almost never works), I disconected the car battery. Left it for 5 minutes and reconnected. The whole thing began to run again, stock radio and sbd unit. The SBD unit never did that again and other than that have had no issues. Not sure if it's still available but overall i'm 97% happy with it. my only minor issues are.

while in SBD, the temp control screen is the SBD's screen and not very obvious. like, i don't think there's a defrost sign. 

second, if i'm in SBD carplay, i can listen to stock FM radio but for example if Waze has an altert, it won't switch ovrer to the SBD to announce it.

like I said, minor problems. I know Chinese crap is crap, but i have to say, this crap is one notch higher than the usual crap and you can see it by the better quality of the unit it self.

Yes, Definitely, would do it again.

Hope this helps someone.

#97 rob_evo_pnw

rob_evo_pnw

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:40 PM

Mine had the front camera and dash cam stop working a week after

Been working with the manufacturer  

0 user(s) are reading this topic