Photo
- - - - -

Which Engine oil do you use and why?

poll oil rli amsoil motul mobil1

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Engine Oil Poll

What Engine Oil do you use and why? Please include the weight of the oil.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 HILife GT-R

HILife GT-R

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:37 PM

Mines get like that not too long after 1000 miles.

#62 Cruiser

Cruiser

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for answers. Oil is brand new - as I said only 150 miles on highway and maybe 50 miles on local roads. 4 days old. Level is ok, car sounds like new (i have 5600 miles total on that car)
I was a little scared. I know this colour only from my 2KD-FTV Diesel in Toyota Hilux truck.
Oil changes every 5000miles are usual for me. Same was with 370z. In Z oil was always clean like in Land Cruiser.
Thanks one more time!

Cruiser

#63 TexasEd

TexasEd

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:34 AM

I go with exactly what the owner's manual calls for which is Mobil 1, 0W x 40W. Six months or 6,000 miles. I had dealer change at 6 months with 2,500 miles on my car. With an expensive car and under warranty I do not want to deviate, and a record of the change has been logged in the system just in case I should ever need to refer to it.  Cost was $180 which I did not mind spending.

2020 Nissan GTR Premium (currently own)

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance (currently own)

#64 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8598 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:56 AM

Wanted to add I just got the results from my fourth sample I have submitted to Dyson Labs. With the help of Terry Dyson and James240, I have managed to improve almost all the parameters. There is room for improvement though as my water content still needs to drop but he suspects when more of the old oil is removed with future oil changes the water content will drop more.

For the first time he has has been happy to see the antiwear and viscosity  parameters where they should be. Even fuel dilution finally was finally below 4% (now at 2.1%). The driven dt40 that was suggested to me initially (by others) definitely was not "cutting the mustard" with the ethanol use. The combo of RLI and WIX is performing better for my build and fuel use than the driven dt40.

Redemption 2.0 Tuned by Ben Linney = Smooth as Fawk!!
Switzer 90mmSS Exhaust = Loud as Fawk!!

#65 Aviator2020

Aviator2020

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:23 AM

im assuming the dealer puts mobil 1... what does your dealer charge? mine is $180

#66 NT-GTR

NT-GTR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:41 PM

im assuming the dealer puts mobil 1... what does your dealer charge? mine is $180

That's a very typical price for the dealer to charge and, yes, they only use Mobil 1 FS 0W40 European Formula.

2009 Gunmetal Grey Nissan GT-R

#67 BlueBeast

BlueBeast

R32 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:26 PM

Mobil1. Nismo filter

2013 Deep Blue Pearl Premium GT-R

Volk TE37 Ultra M-Spec

Greddy Ti Exhaust

Gotboost 3" intakes/Gotboost Air/Oil Separator/Turbosmart BOV/ID 1050x Injectors

Cobb AP/Tuned by Motorsport Calibration

EPI N-Tune Front Lip and Side Skirts/Rexspeed brake ducts

Apple Carplay/Carismo CF steering wheel & paddle shifters

#68 richj92

richj92

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:33 PM

I was using Amsoil after some feedback style research (nothing scientific). Changed oil every 2000 miles. Hard street use, no tracks. Definitely not saying this is because of the Amsoil; but the VTC stuck closed and caused $9,000 of damage. My shop/tuner said he only uses Nissan OEM filter and Motul oil so thats the route Ill be going from now on.

#69 colo_evo

colo_evo

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:38 PM

the VTC stuck closed and caused $9,000 of damage.

Sounds like you got taken. Please explain.

#70 richj92

richj92

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:42 PM

Cam covers, cam sprockets, timing chain/guide/etc, a multitude of sensors, gaskets and other odds and ends. Multiple oil changes to flush out the metal throughout.

Attached Files

#71 lovethetrees

lovethetrees

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:48 AM

motul is the only oil to use.

#72 shawnhayes

shawnhayes

NISMO Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5598 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 08:06 PM

Wanted to add I just got the results from my fourth sample I have submitted to Dyson Labs. With the help of Terry Dyson and James240, I have managed to improve almost all the parameters. There is room for improvement though as my water content still needs to drop but he suspects when more of the old oil is removed with future oil changes the water content will drop more.

For the first time he has has been happy to see the antiwear and viscosity  parameters where they should be. Even fuel dilution finally was finally below 4% (now at 2.1%). The driven dt40 that was suggested to me initially (by others) definitely was not "cutting the mustard" with the ethanol use. The combo of RLI and WIX is performing better for my build and fuel use than the driven dt40.

Superb to hear.  Best one I used as well.

Shawn

#73 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8598 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:04 AM

Superb to hear.  Best one I used as well.

Shawn

Going to do another analysis  this month to see if any more improvement with less of the older oil in the system.

Redemption 2.0 Tuned by Ben Linney = Smooth as Fawk!!
Switzer 90mmSS Exhaust = Loud as Fawk!!

#74 Geno88

Geno88

Nismo Owners Car Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1955 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:31 PM

RLI - hands down, lab tested, performance tested.

2016 GTR Nismo
1969 Camaro RS/SS
2018 McLaren 720S
2017 Infiniti Q50S

#75 13blackedition

13blackedition

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:52 PM

I have been using Motul 300V 0w 40 the last two oil changes. This time the shop that I went to didn't have it so they put in Mobil 1. Oil temps went up a little and engine feels

a little more rough. I am sure it's fine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users