11 replies to this topic

#1 Breedy00

Breedy00

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:37 PM

Wanted to get your take on loud(er) exhaust in a neighborhood.  Although my GT-R is pretty loud with an AAM midpipe, I don't drive it very often and it's not really my concern.  The vehicle I'm asking about is a 2018 Ford Raptor.  One of the biggest knocks on the Raptor is the shitty exhaust sound.  It's shockingly bad.  I have a 2018 Lincoln Navigator (same engine as Raptor) and while much quieter, it has a much deeper and more pleasing exhaust note.  Recently did an intake, boost tubes, larger intercooler, and a tune making around 550 hp at the crank from 450 stock. That made it sound a little better with the stock exhaust, but not much. I want to make it sound better, but just about every better option is also significantly louder. We are moving to puckered ass neighborhood in Orlando this summer and don't want to be that guy on day one.  Looking at either the Stainless Works or Borla Atak.  

#2 Gdzilla_

Gdzilla_

Marketplace Moderator

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4783 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 05:17 PM

So you already know that it is a **puckered ass neighbourhood** but you are willing to take that gamble.

Okay then... one should expect to get some push back. And the neighbours that know how the local police handle noise ordinance by-laws, could or will be your biggest headache.

If your GTR is not your DD, then you might not get any hassle.

Good luck either way 😎

Edited by Gdzilla_, 11 April 2020 - 05:17 PM.

Current Stable:
2009 R35 Premium Edition 'GDZILLA' / Ivory Pearl / Ebony / brought home Sept. 8th 2008 / weekend warrior
2006 Solstice 'EMILEY' / Olympic White / Ebony on Suede / for those 'Top Down' summer days
2014 GMC All Terrain Sierra 4x4 'C2SKYE' / Summit White / Ebony Faux Carbon Fiber / trailer hauler
1999 Vulcan Nomad 'TAZ' / Pearl Boulogne / Candy Arsenate Green / quick weekend get-a-ways
2008 Vulcan Classic LT 'PEARL' / Crystal Pearl White / Metallic Titanium / quick weekend get-a-ways for the wife
2019 Tucson Ultimate AWD 'POLRCUB' / Winter White / Ebony on Beige / Wife's daily driver
'EMILEYII' / Solstice battery powered ride on car / White / daily driver for my daughter
'GDZILLAII' / R35 GTR battery powered ride on car / White / weekend warrior for my daughter
1999 R34 Gtt Skyline / White / Ebony / Sold

#3 Breedy00

Breedy00

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:17 PM

That's why I'm hesitant. Might wait to do anything until I get down there. I occasionally make early trips to the airport that might bother folks.

#4 Crank_Run

Crank_Run

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 11:25 AM

Where are you moving from where you think this will be a problem?

Yes, FL has a statute that forbids modifying your exhaust past it's factory decibel levels. No, it's not enforced. And it's Orlando. Everyone and anyone who's a motorhead has a loud exhaust. The police have way better things to do (especially during these times) to keep them busy, rather than respond to a loud noise complaint.

#5 crepr12

crepr12

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:47 AM

Don't see how normal driving in or out of any neighbor hood would be a issue...pounding the RPMs in the drive way is a different story

50th Bayside Blue (No Stripes)

#6 Threewhitelights

Threewhitelights

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:00 AM

Keep the RPMS low, and try to be as friendly and neighborly as possible. I hated my neighbors until I spent an afternoon chatting with them in their driveway. What they did (and continue to do) that pissed me off before doesn't bother me now. You'd be surprised how much goodwill a simple neighborly relationship can bring you.

Also, what are boost tubes?

Edited by Threewhitelights, 06 August 2020 - 10:01 AM.

#7 colo_evo

colo_evo

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:06 AM

I can confirm gen 2 raptors sound horrible! Id leave it stock if I was you.

#8 Mid-Life Crisis

Mid-Life Crisis

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:00 AM

Where are you moving from where you think this will be a problem?

Yes, FL has a statute that forbids modifying your exhaust past it's factory decibel levels. No, it's not enforced. And it's Orlando. Everyone and anyone who's a motorhead has a loud exhaust. The police have way better things to do (especially during these times) to keep them busy, rather than respond to a loud noise complaint.

^^^This. I live approximately an hour away from Orlando, in Melbourne. There are all kinds of exhausts to be heard here, some that sound decent, and others that are either trash fart can exhausts, or Cletus with his broken/no exhaust. Then you have some pick 'em up trucks that spew diesel smoke on demand. I sure don't see anyone getting pulled over by police for any of that.

CURRENT: '18 Cadillac ATS-V Championship Edition PAST '14 Jaguar XFR-S '19 Corvette Grand Sport//'18 Audi S5 Sportback '15 Maserati Granturismo Sport '17 MB AMG C63 Cabriolet '17 Lotus Evora 400//'15 Audi S4, Stage II '14 Nissan GT-R//'08 Pontiac G8 GT '11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon//'09 Nissan GT-R '12 Mitsubishi EVO MR//'07 BMW M6 Coupe '09 Cadillac CTS-V//'05 Audi S4 '06 Infiniti M35 Sport//'04 Subaru STi '02 Subaru WRX//'91 GMC Syclone (two--the first caught fire) '86 Buick Grand National//'86 Olds Cutlass Calais International '86 Chevy Z24//'85 Pontiac Fiero '81 Mustang//'64 Rambler

#9 Kama_Supra

Kama_Supra

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:13 PM

Haha, it's all give and take.  I won't complain about your loud pool parties if you don't whine about my exhaust.  However, I do keep the garage closed for the cold start on a N/A motor (GTR is not that terrible by comparison).  And try to avoid the "dawn patrol" wake-ups on the weekends. LOL.

#10 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8379 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:18 AM

^ so true I’ve been guilty of both the pool parties and exhausts hahahah. I’m at ten tail end of the first generation of kids so newer families moving in now. Just a handful of sports cars. Mostly minivans and suburbans here. My neighbors have dogs that bark all day and bite all the neighborhood kids. I’ve made friends with them (the dogs) and give them snacks 3-5 times a day. They hear the garage or exhaust start-up and come running hahaha !!! One ran through the invisible fence one time and he was hiding out in my garage trying to escape. ;)
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#11 Kama_Supra

Kama_Supra

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:38 PM

Gotta love the invisible fence.  Axel (the black one) loves to run back and forth all day long thinking he can catch cars.  LOL.

IMG_9718.jpeg

#12 Zaki77

Zaki77

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:17 PM

Generally should do big revs when engine oil etc is cold so you take it easy anyway. My gtr is stock and yes makes noise on startup but compared to any vehicle revving is less annoying. IMO Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users