Photo

Finally my fully US-legal R34 is (almost) ready to come home!

R34

77 replies to this topic

#1 GSX-R35

GSX-R35

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2238 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:04 PM

Last year I posted about the next addition to my little family of GT-Rs but unfortunately I had to wait until this year before she was legal to import to the US.

https://www.gtrlife....-family-coming/

I was hoping the process would be taken care of earlier but it took a while to get NHTSA approval - apparently quite a few R34 owners were waiting for February 2020 like I was. 

But I'm happy to report that last week I finally received the approval letter from DOT allowing me to bring in my Midnight Purple 2 R34 to the US of A!

img019_redacted_02.jpg

And here she is in all her glory - well, most of her glory since the front lip wasn't installed at the time I took the photo lol.

_DSC0633.jpg

Unfortunately now the border with Canada is closed to non-essential travel so my original plan to go and pick her up myself is now toast. The way things are going it looks like I'll have to hire a commercial car transport company and customs broker to get the car over or it'll be stuck in Canuckistan indefinitely. Hopefully that all goes well but for now I just wanted to share this great news with everybody - it's at least great news for me in the middle of all the depressing stuff happening lately :)

I'll be posting progress updates here and go into more detail on my blog once things are in motion: http://www.23gt.net/

Stay safe and healthy everybody!

2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35 GT-R

1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 GT-R V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Gray Nismo R32 GT-R

2017 Black/Red Wilier Triestina GTR SL (it's a bicycle but it's a GTR so it counts!)

Want to read about one crazy gearhead and his three GT-Rs? Check out my blog at 23GT.net !

#2 R32Squirrel

R32Squirrel

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:55 PM

Congrats!!!  Hopefully you can get your car before stay home order is lifted.  There is very little traffic out there and going for a drive has been fantastic.

The customs broker I used 5 years ago charged me $350 flat rate for all the paper work and bond release plus arranging a commercial transport, which at the time was $600 from Florida to Texas on an open trailer.  All I did was paying them the $950 and a few days later my car arrived at my door, about as easy and seamless as it could be.  Feel free to try them if you have not arranged your own.

#3 ijan

ijan

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 04:06 PM

looks sweet!! and a great color!!

And 5 years down the road when you trade it in for $30k nobody is going to give a F*** that you licked it clean. Keep it up!

It is called the "pop and bang map" in the UK and is generally used by twats who spend most of their time racing around central London acting like dicks.

#4 Gdzilla_

Gdzilla_

Marketplace Moderator

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4717 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 04:44 PM

Sweet! Congrats

Current Stable:
2009 R35 Premium Edition 'GDZILLA' / Ivory Pearl / Ebony / brought home Sept. 8th 2008 / weekend warrior
2006 Solstice 'EMILEY' / Olympic White / Ebony on Suede / for those 'Top Down' summer days
2014 GMC All Terrain Sierra 4x4 'C2SKYE' / Summit White / Ebony Faux Carbon Fiber / trailer hauler
1999 Vulcan Nomad 'TAZ' / Pearl Boulogne / Candy Arsenate Green / quick weekend get-a-ways
2008 Vulcan Classic LT 'PEARL' / Crystal Pearl White / Metallic Titanium / quick weekend get-a-ways for the wife
2019 Tucson Ultimate AWD 'POLRCUB' / Winter White / Ebony on Beige / Wife's daily driver
'EMILEYII' / Solstice battery powered ride on car / White / daily driver for my daughter
'GDZILLAII' / R35 GTR battery powered ride on car / White / weekend warrior for my daughter
1999 R34 Gtt Skyline / White / Ebony / Sold

#5 gtrbillet

gtrbillet

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:31 PM

Awesome!
Gregg 2013 gtr premium

#6 SELVERGTR7

SELVERGTR7

NISMO Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9450 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:13 PM

Beautiful.. congrats

#7 9TR

9TR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:17 PM

Yes, awesome :D

#8 GSX-R35

GSX-R35

R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2238 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:06 PM

Congrats!!!  Hopefully you can get your car before stay home order is lifted.  There is very little traffic out there and going for a drive has been fantastic.

The customs broker I used 5 years ago charged me $350 flat rate for all the paper work and bond release plus arranging a commercial transport, which at the time was $600 from Florida to Texas on an open trailer.  All I did was paying them the $950 and a few days later my car arrived at my door, about as easy and seamless as it could be.  Feel free to try them if you have not arranged your own.

Thanks! I'm hoping I get her soon too but the stay at home order hasn't really been a huge deal in my neck of the woods - yes, the traffic is less but it's a small city with not a lot of traffic to begin with. Plus the biggest employers here are all essential ones - agriculture, military, healthcare, - so there's still lots of vehicles on the road. If anything, it's a little bit more worrisome since the many drivers that are out are driving like asshats because of the reduced traffic lol.

Do you mind messaging me with info on your customs broker? I'm already talking to a couple but unfortunately Show or Display is such an obscure law that some brokers clearly don't know sh*t about it - so I'd like to have as many options as possible. 

looks sweet!! and a great color!!

Thanks! Yeah, black would have been my first choice for my R34 since it's my favorite color but MP2 is so gorgeous I don't regret it one bit lol.

Sweet! Congrats

Awesome!

Beautiful.. congrats

Thanks guys!

Yes, awesome :D

Thanks Mark! I was actually going to message you sometime - I'm working on some articles for my blog and wanted your permission to use info from your site - but it's been one thing after another lol. Hope things are still okay down there in Oz.

2017 Black/Red Wilier Triestina GTR SL (it's a bicycle but it's a GTR so it counts!)

Want to read about one crazy gearhead and his three GT-Rs? Check out my blog at 23GT.net !

#9 StocktonBomb

StocktonBomb

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:34 PM

Congrats! I am extremely envious.

#10 illpayne

illpayne

Dream Crusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2796 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:14 PM

Hell yeah!! That looks great with all the real z tune parts on it.
My Blog

follow me on twitter: illpayne

follow me on Instagram: illpayne

Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is.

2009 Midnight Purple 3 GTR - SOLD

1990 Gunmetal Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R

#11 GSX-R35

GSX-R35

R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2238 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:51 PM

Congrats! I am extremely envious.

Thanks! You may not be so envious if you ever found out the hassle the process of importing has been lol.

Hell yeah!! That looks great with all the real z tune parts on it.

Couldn't have gotten here without your help Chris! Thanks! You going to be posting updated pictures of the yacht soon now that she's back from Garage Active?

#12 paparazzi

paparazzi

Torque Junkie

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3424 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 09:19 AM

Looks great!

JDM MINE'S dry carbon Spec X 6.0 
Engine built by Dave "Gotboost" Pickering boosted by Spec-V turbos and tuned by Linney Tuning

#13 illpayne

illpayne

Dream Crusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2796 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 12:15 PM

Couldn't have gotten here without your help Chris! Thanks! You going to be posting updated pictures of the yacht soon now that she's back from Garage Active?

Glad to have helped. I know the car is in good hands. Soon, I hope. Wont make my original deadline but 2021 sounds promising hahaha. Thatll be enough time to sort out the interior too.
My Blog

follow me on twitter: illpayne

follow me on Instagram: illpayne

Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is.

2009 Midnight Purple 3 GTR - SOLD

1990 Gunmetal Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R

#14 9TR

9TR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:01 PM

Thanks Mark! I was actually going to message you sometime - I'm working on some articles for my blog and wanted your permission to use info from your site - but it's been one thing after another lol. Hope things are still okay down there in Oz.

Of course, no problem.

#15 GSX-R35

GSX-R35

R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2238 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 09:36 PM

Looks great!

Thank you!

Glad to have helped. I know the car is in good hands. Soon, I hope. Wont make my original deadline but 2021 sounds promising hahaha. Thatll be enough time to sort out the interior too.

I think SEMA will be a weird place after all this if it pushes through as scheduled. 2021 just means you get to polish the project to perfection! Hopefully I can get to see it debut in person :)

Of course, no problem.

Thanks Mark. I'll let you know when I start working on the article. Right now I'm hustling to line up a customs broker and a transport company to get my car in sooner rather than later!

#16 stukinthe90s

stukinthe90s

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 10:20 PM

Awesome. Congrats. What a beauty!

#17 OptionZero

OptionZero

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:52 PM

very jealous, this is a beautiful car

#18 GSX-R35

GSX-R35

R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2238 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:48 AM

Awesome. Congrats. What a beauty!

very jealous, this is a beautiful car

Thanks guys! I'm working right now on arrangements to get her home. I hope I can take care of all of that this week so that she can be set to ship out soon :)

#19 AIRek

AIRek

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:56 PM

Congrats on the car. Hope it smells like curry when it arrives!

Edited by AIRek, 28 April 2020 - 08:58 PM.

#20 GSX-R35

GSX-R35

R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2238 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:37 PM

Congrats on the car. Hope it smells like curry when it arrives!

Thanks! I don't know about curry - maple syrup has probably started to ferment inside from how long it's been in Canada though lol. Canuckistan is a pretty common joke term for Canada around here where I live - it may have something to do with all the Canadian snowbirds we get in a town with a big Marine Corps base as well.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users