Photo
- - - - -

possible to flash factory tune with Nissan Consult without causing CALID/CVN error

9 replies to this topic

#1 iamnotthestig

iamnotthestig

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:08 PM

So I've read that cobb/ecutek will invalidate CALID/CVN for smog purposes.

Hypothetically, would it be possible to flash an OEM tune at a dealership so that it doesn't trigger anything during a smog check? 

For example, would it be possible to swap in a set of 2020 nismo gt3 turbos, and flash a 2020 nismo factory tune and pass smog without incident?

#2 joshuaho96

joshuaho96

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:42 PM

CALID/CVN is a checksum. Flash the stock tune and the checksum will be the same as stock. So you will pass smog check if it's looking for that.

#3 haul s

haul s

I Haul Ass

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1871 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:19 PM

For example, would it be possible to swap in a set of 2020 nismo gt3 turbos, and flash a 2020 nismo factory tune and pass smog without incident?

No, 2019-20 have different ECUs with larger memory, and their factory firmware cannot be flashed into an older model year ecu.
🙋🏻‍♂️🚚🍑

#4 The_GTcaR

The_GTcaR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:00 AM

CALID/CVN is a checksum. Flash the stock tune and the checksum will be the same as stock. So you will pass smog check if it's looking for that.

When you say flash a stock tune, do you mean a an OEM file at the dealership or a stock tune that's compatible with EcuTek/Cobb?

#5 barbarahansen

barbarahansen

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:37 AM

I, personally would flash back to stock to prevent any future problem that could arise i.e. emissions issues.

essaydune.com

#6 FauxshowGTR

FauxshowGTR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:13 PM

When you say flash a stock tune, do you mean a an OEM file at the dealership or a stock tune that's compatible with EcuTek/Cobb?

This...loading a stock tune does not mean the OEM tune per say.

But I dont know what CA is searching for...the dealer will/can know though

2015 BE recently acquired  :shiftdrive:

#7 GTRdean

GTRdean

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Wouldn't a Motec solve all these issues.  :rolleyes:

2021 GTR Bayside Blue 
2019 Range Rover (hers)
2019 Toyota 4Runner

2015 BMW 235i vert

1994 E500 Mercedes

2015 GTR GG/Red Interior (Sold)
2012 GG GTR (Sold)</strong>

#8 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8710 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:28 PM

^ I see where you are going with that. Installed and tuned your probably talking $12-15k and how do you not get that fly steering wheel too for another $10k. I don’t know enough about Motec, but think the signed manufacturer tune is what’s actually needed. If it’s just pass ready monitors which aren’t actually ready or even present, ecutek does that.
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#9 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3410 posts

Posted Today, 05:27 PM

^ I see where you are going with that. Installed and tuned your probably talking $12-15k and how do you not get that fly steering wheel too for another $10k. I don’t know enough about Motec, but think the signed manufacturer tune is what’s actually needed. If it’s just pass ready monitors which aren’t actually ready or even present, ecutek does that.

Hi Droptopp

You've helped me in the past in discussions about Ecutek and emissions.  Let me be a bit more specific in my question now, so that others here can benefit from your Ecutek knowledge:

If a car has a Map on it...an encrypted Map (whether SD or MAF) as is usually done by major tuners...can the Ecutek device/software deal with things as you just said here WITHOUT creating another Map?

I.E., just buy it and hook it up, push some buttons, etc., or are there more complications, perhaps by requiring the making a new Ecutek Map?

Alexd

Edited by alexdavis, Today, 05:28 PM.

bOeuB0b.jpg

2012 Gun-Metal GT-R Alpha 6 ([email protected]) originally tuned by Chris Black

Cobb, AAM mid-pipe, Gotboost 3", ID1000, FF manifold, 100 octane, stock DPs

Front camera, Whistler Remote, Reverse Beep eliminator, Running lights with headlights

Upgraded to Alpha 9 with MPSS tires: 9.7/148 all day

Fun to daily drive, thanks to AMS's Jacob Compton

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12, cannot race anymore at NHRA strips

#10 BlazeTastic

BlazeTastic

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted Today, 06:39 PM

If you changed the map/tune while at the dealership for emissions testing, none of your sensors will be in a ready state and allow you to pass. You'll fail on too many sensors being 'not ready'. You'll need to apply a map/tune and drive the car until all the required sensors go into a 'ready' state. 

2017 Blaze Metallic Premium

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users