Photo

Ryan's High Mileage 2009 Black Obsidian GT-R FBO Build Thread

28 replies to this topic

#1 cowtown

cowtown

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:51 PM

Hi all, here's the probably slow and boring build thread I'm starting for my GT-R. Like a lot of you this has been my dream car since they were introduced. I was like many of you as well, I was raised and influenced by TFATF. However, this isn't first car or my first modified, i've had over 20 cars since I was 15. At 32 this is the most expensive car i've ever had. I tried to be smart about it instead of take out a loan and paid cash so I wouldn't feel bad about having fun modifying my car while a car payment haunts me. Anyway's here is the dirty details:

Details On Day One

87k Miles, original engine (it appears)

I'm the 5th owner

SPE Stage 1 trans rebuild

XS Power Mid Pipe

XS Power BOV's

Rev9 Titanium CBE

2.75" Intakes

Cobb AP with TCM Tuning

DBA Wheels with New PS4 tires

Recently done brakes w/ DBA rotors and StopTech Sport Pads

Current Modification/Details:

Visctonti Pump Basket with AEM 340lph E85 Pump

Visctonti Flex Fuel Sensor

ID1000 Injectors purchased here second hand(Thank god I got them cleaned, would have blown my engine for sure. See the posts below)

Cobb AP V3 w/TCM

XS Power Mid Pipe

Rev9 Titanium Exhaust

XS Power 3" Intakes (Purchased here for a killer deal) w/ New K&N Filters

OE BOV's 

Tim Bailey E-Tune

Parts waiting to go on/Being shipped/Planned:

H&R Springs (waiting to go on)

Advan GT In Titanium Blue (being slowly shipped)

Michelin PSS 335/30/20 (waiting for wheels)

ETS 3" Downpipes (waiting on other parts)

ATR Bell housing and revised tailshaft (undecided)

DBA Inlet's (shipped)

Future Goals: 

High 9 1/4 mile pull on drag radials

Not blow the stock engine *nervous laughter*

Repaint the front bumper, hood, and roof. They all the have a lot of rock chips on them.

New wheels (Advan GT, 18x10/12, Titanium Blue) H&R Springs

FBO with flex fuel, really partial bolt ons. I want to be able to go back to stock relatively easily for bi-annual smog.

Here was the first day I took my GT-R home. 

IMG_0500_20.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0505_20.jpg

Edited by cowtown, 16 June 2020 - 01:37 PM.

#2 cowtown

cowtown

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:46 PM

FWIW here is my previous car which I did a partial trade for plus cash to get the GT-R. Fun fact, I actually had a cash buyer lined up to buy this and another CBA GT-R lined up with lower miles but then covid-19 threw a wrench in all of that. Anyways this is a 97 240sx, LS2, with all emissions equipment made to be smog legal. I did all of the work. I hit a road block with the smog ref. They literally made it impossible to do OBD-II engine swaps into another chassis now. I love CA and I understand smog laws but this really took it too far. The car passed smog with flying colors with all the emission monitors legitimately ready. However I failed for tampering which you can't get around because of vehicle anti theft. Well you live you learn. It was a fun 4 years owning that car and building it.

IMG_0421_20.jpg

IMG_20191115_131756_20.jpg

IMG_20191115_131456_20.jpg

#3 Mickwitchy

Mickwitchy

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:24 AM

Welcome. Is that the list of current mods? What are your future plans for the car?
2015 Premium
HKS GT1000 turbo kit
Greddy crossflow intercooler/BOVs
Fore Innovations triple pump setup (Visconti hardwire kit)
Speedflow post filter
VRSF 3" intakes
ID1700s
Willall Ti resonated midpipe, TOG 3" Ti catback
Torque solutions BMCS
Radium triple catch cans
ETS ball retainer and T1 trans brace
Kaps AWD controller
ECUTEK SD tune w/ 4bar Map sensor w/ Visconti flex fuel
DIY so far - Apart from tune...

#4 cowtown

cowtown

Posted 16 June 2020 - 10:28 AM

I started by sourcing stock parts locally, and on ebay to get this thing smogged. Ended up being stock with the exception of the cat back for about a week. I ended up staying with the OE BOV's because they work just fine on FBO boost levels from what I've read, and they are basically revised valves from all the previous year skylines, DSM's, and probably a couple other cars i'm unaware of. If I do ever have any issues I'll upgrade to Tial's.

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

Also took the chance to clean the brakes and wheels inside and out.

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

#5 cowtown

cowtown

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:27 PM

Here goes my first round of mods to get this car ready for flex fuel. I also reinstalled my cat less midpipe at some point before we started tuning. After lot's of research I ended up tuning with Tim Bailey. My pick before I found him was Doug Ross (RIP), but he unfortunately passed days after I purchased my GT-R. After that happened I found out about Tim Bailey and him being known for safe tunes. At the time of writing this we are in revision 8 of maps still working on 91 octane. He's extremely thorough and all around really nice guy. I can actually see how an e-tune at times can be better for your car. It get's a lot more attention overtime in different conditions. Anways on to the pictures

Here is my pumps and socks etc before and after:

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

Here is my new $135 shipped Used xs power intakes. I'm not a chinese parts guy but I was in a time crunch to get stuff moving and I just couldn't justify another 400-500 for pipes. 

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

Here is the flex fuel kit, old injectors, new injectors before and after results (these were sitting since 2013 sealed in bags dry).

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

61187590486__161C82CF-47EE-40AC-99B9-52117BB40D14.jpg

Edited by cowtown, 16 June 2020 - 01:04 PM.

#6 cowtown

cowtown

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:05 PM

Welcome. Is that the list of current mods? What are your future plans for the car?

Thanks for checking out my build thread! Updated the first post, and will keep it up to date as I progress.

#7 cowtown

cowtown

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

Here's onto the engine bay finished pic. I like the keep the look low key, looks almost stock. Also I picked up some 335/30/20 Michelin PSS tires, hmmm wonder why I would do that? Also picked up some used ETS downpipes off ebay. I won't be installing these for a while. I'm going to get DBA inlets (have some slowly on the way from Austria off ebay for 310 shipped because they are like gold in the US), install them the same time as the downpipes and likely get a modified bell housing from ATR to do all at once.

Here's the tires and downpipes just waiting for their day to shine:

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

Here is the fuel pumps getting installed pics as I ran out of space in the last post:

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

Also got a car seat that fits well for my son:

IMG_0672.jpg

The completed engine bay pic:

IMG_0760.jpg

Before and after of the old spark plugs:

IMG_0835.jpg

Edited by cowtown, 16 June 2020 - 01:33 PM.

#8 kaane

kaane

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:31 PM

Nice car, love the 240sx, had a few myself and a LS3 swapped E36. I am also waiting for my Titanium Blue Advan GT's from Vivid. Wait is killing me.

Any reason for PSS vs PS4?

Edited by kaane, 16 June 2020 - 03:34 PM.

#9 cowtown

cowtown

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:50 PM

Thanks man! Ive had six of them, RB,VH, KAs and LS. I went with pss for the rear because they dont produce ps4 in the right size right now. Other wise I would have went matching. Same treadwear and tread pattern

#10 kaane

kaane

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:22 PM

on my 20x10 and 20x12 Advan's I am planning to run 285/35/20 and 345/30/20 PS4, seen a few people run this setup with no issues.

#11 cowtown

cowtown

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:37 PM

I considered that too. I can't recall why I went this route, but matching tires would have been a lot more elegant that's for sure. I also ordered from vivid, back in early may. I'm hoping it's any day now they pop my email with that tracking number haha.

#12 Haitech

Haitech

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:57 PM

Welcome! Nice progress! What front lip is that? I have it too, but forgot the name of it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 cowtown

cowtown

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:03 PM

Welcome! Nice progress! What front lip is that? I have it too, but forgot the name of it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I have no idea in the lip man lol. If you find out let me know. I did some searching and I couldnt find out what it was for sure.

#14 gtrbillet

gtrbillet

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:58 PM

Nice build.  Nice garage floor.

Gregg 2013 gtr premium

#15 Maxikeem

Maxikeem

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:17 AM

Congrats on the new car, nicely coming together.lip looks like stillen ones. Or very close.

Thanks! I have no idea in the lip man lol. If you find out let me know. I did some searching and I couldnt find out what it was for sure.

#16 Haitech

Haitech

Posted 17 June 2020 - 09:06 AM

Congrats on the new car, nicely coming together.lip looks like stillen ones. Or very close.

I think you hit the nail on the head! Mystery solved. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 cowtown

cowtown

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:57 AM

You da man! Thanks!

#18 cowtown

cowtown

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:34 PM

Hit a snag in etuning. I've been keeping the tank at about a 1/4 tank in anticipation to that we're going to start e85. Well yesterday I filled up with a couple gallons of shell 91 in downtown at the most rundown shell station i've seen. Immediately I started getting flashing boost gauge at lower boost in lower rpms and logged it and sent it over to Tim. I'm glad I built this bleed line a few months ago to try to run a old e85 beta tune (didn't work, the AP didn't take it FWIW). Anyways, old gas in the DD and new gas in the car and it runs solid again. Never believed the bad gas thing till now.

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

#19 gtrfleek

gtrfleek

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:03 PM

Hey! Welcome, So everything is looking good so far. couple of things. the downpipes if you havent done them yet, throw away the oem nuts that hold the downpipe to the turbo. get ARP ones to replace them. they come in a pack of 10. they will crack loose and not damage threads when you need to put the car back to stock for smog.

the car seat, nice, one recommendation, remove the lower seat cushion and put a large beach towel folded nicely under the seat as to not damage the fuel pump wiring, it gives way more head room and won't damage the leather as its removed haha, my daughter loves going in the car she climbs into the seat herself. 

Good luck with the car

enjoy! 

Edited by gtrfleek, 18 June 2020 - 07:13 PM.

#20 cowtown

cowtown

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:34 PM

Hey! Welcome, So everything is looking good so far. couple of things. the downpipes if you havent done them yet, throw away the oem nuts that hold the downpipe to the turbo. get ARP ones to replace them. they come in a pack of 10. they will crack loose and not damage threads when you need to put the car back to stock for smog.

the car seat, nice, one recommendation, remove the lower seat cushion and put a large beach towel folded nicely under the seat as to not damage the fuel pump wiring, it gives way more head room and won't damage the leather as its removed haha, my daughter loves going in the car she climbs into the seat herself. 

Good luck with the car

enjoy! 

Thanks man! Killer advice on both ends. I was looking for some arp's actually for the job, didn't think of just the nuts till now.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users