9 replies to this topic

#1 Ronin1099

Ronin1099

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:06 AM

I have a 2016 Nismo and Im looking for more power for a track use. Currently its all stock.

What kind of set up would you guys recommend primarily for a track use?

Nismo tranny has a lag /slow shift in AT mode, hoping that can be fixed as well.

Also considering ditching Dunlops for Michelin 4S or Cup2.
Nismo

#2 tre3478

tre3478

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

cup 2's I highly recommend.  i went from the dunlops, to regular cups, now on cup 2's and wow they are nice

#3 crainp

crainp

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:42 AM

If you mean track, not strip, second the Cup 2.  Ran through a set of NT01, R888R, which seemed good, but when I went Cup2, the tire is perfect--good grip and just feels totally confident on the track--I can push them hard and they feel totally predictable.  The Nittos and Toyos seemed like they were predictable when I ran them, but the Cups were noticeably better.

Edited by crainp, 01 July 2020 - 10:45 AM.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in your GTR, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming………."WOW!! What a Ride!

#4 hunter

hunter

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:58 PM

You live in LA so new testing coming......... OBD port plug ins so it may not work for you...........Lots more power if you just change down pipes to Cobb high flow and bigger injectors and pumps.......Your GT3 turbos will give you an extra 150 hp with these minor changes... I would have Tim Bailey tune it........A nice safe tune with no TQ spikes and big top end power...........There is no fix for auto......paddles are the track way...Sport Cup 2s are what i run and N-1 ( as shown on tire rack ) Cup2s are the best for our heavy GTR's.

If you get good , add a DSC sport controller to optimize stock suspension......

GTR GUY IN AZ

#5 Ronin1099

Ronin1099

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:17 AM

Thank you for suggestions.

I was told by many that Michelin 4S is a really good tire. I have Cup2 on 720 and once warmed up, it grips amazing, way better than Pirelli Corsa tires.

Can Nismos run high 9s in 1/4 with full bolt-ons or its too aggressive?
Nismo

#6 archan

archan

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:50 AM

I'd go cup2's as well, especially for track use.
Regarding 1/4 mile I think it's possible to hit 9s with full bolt-ons and drag wheels/radials.

#7 GTRick

GTRick

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:51 AM

Michelin 4S is a really great street tire for occasional track use. Cup 2 is a great track tire for occasional street use.

My ZR1 came with Cup 2. Things were so sticky they picked up every rock and created lots of chips on the sides of the car. They didnt last long either. I switched to 4S once they wore out.

Im running 4S on my GT-R as well. They are great on the street and better then the Dunlop for track but Cup 2 would provide a further advantage on the track.

In an ideal world, youd have a dedicated set of track wheels / tires and swap before hitting the track. If not, just ask yourself where the car will spend more of its time.

#8 hunter

hunter

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:32 AM

Thank you for suggestions.

I was told by many that Michelin 4S is a really good tire. I have Cup2 on 720 and once warmed up, it grips amazing, way better than Pirelli Corsa tires.

Can Nismos run high 9s in 1/4 with full bolt-ons or its too aggressive?

Yes....the Nismo with bigger turbos will easily run into the 9's with FBO...... The 4s is a great tire but will not perform  like Cup2s..... I have 540 whp and when I switched to cup2s, the car now feels right...

Edited by hunter, 05 July 2020 - 10:34 AM.

GTR GUY IN AZ

#9 Ronin1099

Ronin1099

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:29 PM

Yes....the Nismo with bigger turbos will easily run into the 9's with FBO...... The 4s is a great tire but will not perform  like Cup2s..... I have 540 whp and when I switched to cup2s, the car now feels right...

I have never driven Trofeo R (many Mclaren's have them) but Cup2s been great. Also I hear great reviews about Goodyear 3R.

Nismo

#10 tre3478

tre3478

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:15 PM

I can say... the cup 2's pick up some rocks - that is a good sign but can do some damage around the bottom of the car. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users