#1 zzjkimzz

zzjkimzz

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:10 PM

Fellow owners,

My 2019 GT-R has been in the garage since last December in California. I live and work overseas so during normal, non-covid times I make it back to Cali every quarter to drive her around.

I havent been able to get back since last December. I hooked it up to a battery tender so the battery should be good, but concerned about the fuel which i left at half a tank. Any advice on ensuring the GT-R stays healthy? Not sure when ill be able to fly back but thinking I could have a friend start her up, but unsure if theres anything I need to do about the fuel that has been sitting for several, several months.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

#2 Phangstaz

Phangstaz

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:32 AM

Drive it easy till the tank is empty and change the oil

2017 GTR Deep Blue Pearl

Previous:

2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat

#3 NT-GTR

NT-GTR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:06 AM

Fellow owners,

My 2019 GT-R has been in the garage since last December in California. I live and work overseas so during normal, non-covid times I make it back to Cali every quarter to drive her around.

I havent been able to get back since last December. I hooked it up to a battery tender so the battery should be good, but concerned about the fuel which i left at half a tank. Any advice on ensuring the GT-R stays healthy? Not sure when ill be able to fly back but thinking I could have a friend start her up, but unsure if theres anything I need to do about the fuel that has been sitting for several, several months.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

If the car truly is around half full of fuel, I would fill it with around 5 to 7 gallons of fresh fuel using a gas can. Once you've put the new fuel in, then I would try to start the car and drive it to the nearest gas station to actually fill the tank. Ideally, at this point, you or your friend would drive the car until it is nearly empty and refuel it again before putting it in storage again. During this second refill at the gas station, I would add a product like Stabil 360 (or something similar) if you intend to leave the car sitting for an extended period of time again. Also, as mentioned definitely change the engine oil.

For future reference, if you think that you might need to leave the car unused for an extended amount of time again, I would suggest always storing it with its fuel tank as full as possible and to use a fuel stabilizer just for peace of mind. You might also look into something like Flatstoppers for the tires.

Edited by NT-GTR, 14 September 2020 - 07:23 AM.

2009 Gunmetal Grey Nissan GT-R

#4 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3273 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:21 PM

If the car truly is around half full of fuel, I would fill it with around 5 to 7 gallons of fresh fuel using a gas can. Once you've put the new fuel in, then I would try to start the car and drive it to the nearest gas station to actually fill the tank. Ideally, at this point, you or your friend would drive the car until it is nearly empty and refuel it again before putting it in storage again. During this second refill at the gas station, I would add a product like Stabil 360 (or something similar) if you intend to leave the car sitting for an extended period of time again. Also, as mentioned definitely change the engine oil.

For future reference, if you think that you might need to leave the car unused for an extended amount of time again, I would suggest always storing it with its fuel tank as full as possible and to use a fuel stabilizer just for peace of mind. You might also look into something like Flatstoppers for the tires.

+1

Alexd

Edited by alexdavis, 14 September 2020 - 01:21 PM.

bOeuB0b.jpg

2012 Gun-Metal GT-R Alpha 6 ([email protected]) originally tuned by Chris Black

Cobb, AAM mid-pipe, Gotboost 3", ID1000, FF manifold, 100 octane, stock DPs

Front camera, Whistler Remote, Reverse Beep eliminator, Running lights with headlights

Upgraded to Alpha 9 with MPSS tires: 9.7/148 all day

Fun to daily drive, thanks to AMS's Jacob Compton

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12

#5 zzjkimzz

zzjkimzz

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:51 AM

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic