Photo

Going to LAUNCH my FBO for the first time... advice

launch control drag race launch rpms cobb traction launch control settings fbo launch control fbo gtr pzero tire pressure

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 majj35

majj35

MAJJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:13 PM

Yup, one less thing to worry about if you're launching your car.  

Set your switches accordingly:

Trans: R

Suspension: depending on the surface

VC: OFF

Surface is tarmac i believe - runway ... so COMF?

VC: OFF? wouldnt that cause too much wheelspin on my street tires?? 

Edited by alexdavis, 19 October 2020 - 12:09 AM.

50468192547_843ae85de2_z.jpg

2014 GT-R Black Edition | Alpha 7

--

Engine: Alpha Street FMIC | Sakura 3" intakes | HKS M45HL | HKS SSQV4 TitaniumWorks caps EPR Coolant cover

Fuel: Visconti FlexFuel v2 | Asnu 1100cc injectors | Asnu 330lph fuel pumps

Exhaust: Alpha catless Downpipes | HKS Resonated Midpipes | HKS Legamax titanium

Exterior: Rexpeed K Splitter | Rexpeed Z Skirts | Difflow fins RevoZport DN Trunk JCR Swan Neck GT Wing | '15 Lights

Interior: DCT Custom Steering wheel | Shiftkoncepts Paddles Rexpeed Carbon Steering Cover COBB ApV3-005

Wheels: Advan RS-D 20x9.5/10.5 | ProjectKics Leggdura 53mm lugs | Eibach spacers 15mm/20mm | Pzero 285/295

646whp/661wtq (e85) - Kaizen Tuning

603whp/605wtq (93 Aki) - Kaizen Tuning

540whp/540wtq (95 Ron) - Kanoo Performance

if_Instagram_1298747.pnggwynethbluepearl

--

1968 Camaro SS LS2 Swap (Here)

My Build Blog (Here)

#22 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:08 AM

The concept of Comfort mode is to increase "squat," and perhaps to increase rear traction. 

VC off usually with a tune, allows for better Traction Control.

Alexd

P.S.  Come in at an angle to the Strip, to avoid wet spots coming from the burn-out puddle...WHICH YOU WILL NOT USE.  Watch for parts of the Strip that have wet tracks; avoid them if possible.

Edited by alexdavis, 19 October 2020 - 12:11 AM.

bOeuB0b.jpg

2012 Gun-Metal GT-R Alpha 6 ([email protected]) originally tuned by Chris Black

Cobb, AAM mid-pipe, Gotboost 3", ID1000, FF manifold, 100 octane, stock DPs

Front camera, Whistler Remote, Reverse Beep eliminator, Running lights with headlights

Upgraded to Alpha 9 with MPSS tires: 9.7/148 all day

Fun to daily drive, thanks to AMS's Jacob Compton

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12

#23 majj35

majj35

MAJJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:38 AM

The concept of Comfort mode is to increase "squat," and perhaps to increase rear traction. 

VC off usually with a tune, allows for better Traction Control.

Alexd

P.S.  Come in at an angle to the Strip, to avoid wet spots coming from the burn-out puddle...WHICH YOU WILL NOT USE.  Watch for parts of the Strip that have wet tracks; avoid them if possible.

Got it, thanks for the heads up !!:D i'll also consult with my tuner and asking about launching and if he's done any setting that I haven't asked about.

any certain questions I need to ask my tuner?? thanks again

--

Engine: Alpha Street FMIC | Sakura 3" intakes | HKS M45HL | HKS SSQV4 TitaniumWorks caps EPR Coolant cover

Exhaust: Alpha catless Downpipes | HKS Resonated Midpipes | HKS Legamax titanium

Exterior: Rexpeed K Splitter | Rexpeed Z Skirts | Difflow fins RevoZport DN Trunk JCR Swan Neck GT Wing | '15 Lights

Interior: DCT Custom Steering wheel | Shiftkoncepts Paddles Rexpeed Carbon Steering Cover COBB ApV3-005

Wheels: Advan RS-D 20x9.5/10.5 | ProjectKics Leggdura 53mm lugs | Eibach spacers 15mm/20mm | Pzero 285/295

--

My Build Blog (Here)

#24 Geno88

Geno88

Nismo Owners Car Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1955 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:15 AM

when is your race?

2016 GTR Nismo
1969 Camaro RS/SS
2018 McLaren 720S
2017 Infiniti Q50S

#25 GTRHOLIC

GTRHOLIC

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:33 PM

^ Exactly!

#26 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:49 PM

Got it, thanks for the heads up !!:D i'll also consult with my tuner and asking about launching and if he's done any setting that I haven't asked about.

any certain questions I need to ask my tuner?? thanks again

Tire pressure and launch RPM are about all that you generally need to consider for your specific car.  You can adjust both; they may be dependent on the weather conditions.  Apart from above 140 degrees for the TRANS OIL TEMPERATURE, you get 4 runs until a need for a 1 mile driving re-set, unless you are already tuned for a greater quantity...you might ask your tuner about this.

Press HARD on your brake pedal; if you don't, the car won't go into launch mode.  

Unless you really want to race someone in the adjoining lane, don't worry about the timing light.  Go when you want (after it is green)  Reaction time is therefore completely unimportant. 

If you are racing...and knowing that your launch mode only lasts around 3 seconds or so, stomp on the Gas pedal and hold it down immediately upon seeing the first yellow timing light.  This assumes that you are ALREADY pressing hard on the brake beforehand (do this right after staging).  Release the brake fast on the last yellow light; your reaction time should typically be less than 1/2 second then.  The Gas pedal stays floored for the entire run.

I would recommend staging "shallow."  I.E., stop your forward staging motion as soon as possible after the second staging light for your tires comes on...which means that you must creep forward very slowly.

Good Luck!

Alexd

P.S.  Drag-Strips sometimes use what's called PRO LIGHT TIMING, but usually only for very fast cars or racers that request it.  The "regular" and MUCH more common timing is 3 yellows then a green;  that is what I'm talking about.  The PRO LIGHT goes yellow once, and then .4 or .5 seconds later goes green. That is definitely not useful for you because you don't know when to start your launch timing, keeping in mind your car's 3 second limit.  The Drag-Strip starter person will tell you which it is.  If it is PRO LIGHT (because the other lane guy asked for it) forget about racing him.  Go into launch mode after the first and only timing light, and stay there for a second or two before launching in order to build up boost.

Your reaction time will be (a silly) several seconds, and the other guy will be way down the Strip, but this is unimportant for you...

Edited by alexdavis, 19 October 2020 - 01:14 PM.

bOeuB0b.jpg

Front camera, Whistler Remote, Reverse Beep eliminator, Running lights with headlights

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12

#27 majj35

majj35

MAJJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:14 AM

when is your race?

^ Exactly!

Still waiting - apparently the SV is in the shop doing maintenance. I don't know the owner, and waiting for my mutual friend to let me know. Good, gives me time to prepare haha

--

--

My Build Blog (Here)

#28 majj35

majj35

MAJJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:17 AM

Tire pressure and launch RPM are about all that you generally need to consider for your specific car.  You can adjust both; they may be dependent on the weather conditions.  Apart from above 140 degrees for the TRANS OIL TEMPERATURE, you get 4 runs until a need for a 1 mile driving re-set, unless you are already tuned for a greater quantity...you might ask your tuner about this.

Press HARD on your brake pedal; if you don't, the car won't go into launch mode.  

Unless you really want to race someone in the adjoining lane, don't worry about the timing light.  Go when you want (after it is green)  Reaction time is therefore completely unimportant. 

If you are racing...and knowing that your launch mode only lasts around 3 seconds or so, stomp on the Gas pedal and hold it down immediately upon seeing the first yellow timing light.  This assumes that you are ALREADY pressing hard on the brake beforehand (do this right after staging).  Release the brake fast on the last yellow light; your reaction time should typically be less than 1/2 second then.  The Gas pedal stays floored for the entire run.

I would recommend staging "shallow."  I.E., stop your forward staging motion as soon as possible after the second staging light for your tires comes on...which means that you must creep forward very slowly.

Good Luck!

Alexd

P.S.  Drag-Strips sometimes use what's called PRO LIGHT TIMING, but usually only for very fast cars or racers that request it.  The "regular" and MUCH more common timing is 3 yellows then a green;  that is what I'm talking about.  The PRO LIGHT goes yellow once, and then .4 or .5 seconds later goes green. That is definitely not useful for you because you don't know when to start your launch timing, keeping in mind your car's 3 second limit.  The Drag-Strip starter person will tell you which it is.  If it is PRO LIGHT (because the other lane guy asked for it) forget about racing him.  Go into launch mode after the first and only timing light, and stay there for a second or two before launching in order to build up boost.

Your reaction time will be (a silly) several seconds, and the other guy will be way down the Strip, but this is unimportant for you...

lovely ! thanks for the great insight .. didn't know this much as I've never taken it to a drag strip before lol ... got it so if it's the regular , Hard brake press on the first yellow light. 

Regarding the RPM lock, which ill probably have to ask my tuner, will it lock at a certain RPM given (FULL BRAKES & GAS pressed)... or do i need to manually lock at a certain RPM? Thanks

--

--

My Build Blog (Here)

#29 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:03 PM

lovely ! thanks for the great insight .. didn't know this much as I've never taken it to a drag strip before lol ... got it so if it's the regular , Hard brake press on the first yellow light. 

Regarding the RPM lock, which ill probably have to ask my tuner, will it lock at a certain RPM given (FULL BRAKES & GAS pressed)... or do i need to manually lock at a certain RPM? Thanks

NO!!!  

Hold your brake firmly down as soon as you stage!!!  Stomp the GAS PEDAL to the floor and hold it there on the first yellow.

You should go to a parking lot somewhere, where noise and stuff isn't bothering people, and do this test:

Hold the brake firmly down and stomp on the gas (to the floor) JUST TO SEE IF YOUR CAR GOES INTO LAUNCH MODE.  Do NOT launch it...just let off the gas all the way after 1 second or so.  NOTICE what your RPM goes up to...stock is 4100, but you and your tuner can adjust this to other numbers.

Alexd

Edited by alexdavis, 20 October 2020 - 12:04 PM.

bOeuB0b.jpg

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12

#30 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8461 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:35 PM

Also make sure you tires are free from any rocks or pebbles. Many tracks have stone pull offs and back areas. If you do, can always go around water box, back up a bit and launch it for 20-30 feet (soft lunch) when/if the car next to you is heating up his tires.
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#31 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:33 PM

Also make sure you tires are free from any rocks or pebbles. Many tracks have stone pull offs and back areas. If you do, can always go around water box, back up a bit and launch it for 20-30 feet (soft lunch) when/if the car next to you is heating up his tires.

This is all correct, but best is to let the starter guy know beforehand if possible.  Strips take a dim view of "hot shots" screwing around.

If things aren't too hectic, the starter guy might allow you to (from staging and with HIS UNDERSTANDING AND AGREEMENT) blast down the Strip 10 or 20 feet and then back up your car and re-stage. Then you will probably have wiped off your tires and made a clean track for yourself.  You can't do this if others are waiting their turn, and you MUST get the starter guy's agreement first.

I would advise that you don't do any of this, because at your first time at the Strip you will have soooo many things simultaneously on your mind, that you don't want any extra confusion.

Alexd

Edited by alexdavis, 20 October 2020 - 02:34 PM.

bOeuB0b.jpg

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12

#32 StockR35

StockR35

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:15 PM

We need 2 more pages of this complicated rocket science LC technology. God damn my 10 year old son launched my GTR before.

Edited by StockR35, 20 October 2020 - 09:17 PM.

#33 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8461 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:23 PM

^^ hahahahah truth ;)
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#34 Jojipoji

Jojipoji

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2304 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:24 AM

400 launches on my sir stage 1 gtr fbo.
"The secret to a long successful marriage, is I haven't talked to my wife for a year now. I didn't want to interrupt her."
16 nismo GTR, 16 M3

#35 Geno88

Geno88

Nismo Owners Car Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1955 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:01 PM

We need 2 more pages of this complicated rocket science LC technology. God damn my 10 year old son launched my GTR before.

what?? :thumbsup:

I didnt drive my first car until i was 14......your 10 year old kid launched your GTR?? :ohsnap:

2016 GTR Nismo
1969 Camaro RS/SS
2018 McLaren 720S
2017 Infiniti Q50S

#36 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:04 AM

what?? :thumbsup:

I didnt drive my first car until i was 14......your 10 year old kid launched your GTR?? :ohsnap:

You guys are funny...and that's a compliment. 

But at your first time at the Strip, your adrenaline is high, and just trying to remember everything you need to do, is not that easy for anyone.

Alexd

bOeuB0b.jpg

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users