14 replies to this topic

#1 BlazeTastic

BlazeTastic

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:49 PM

I purchased a used GTR which came with an Alpha 6 package with catless downpipe and mid pipe. I love this package and the AMS quality but I need to pass emissions in Texas. I called AMS and spoke with Julie I believe. Told her my situation, she confirmed the current tune wouldn't allow O2 and catalyst to go into "ready" mode, took my number down and never called back. I called AMS a week later, spoke to her again, she laughed and apologized for forgetting about me. Said she'd speak with a tuner and call me back, still had my number. It's been 2 more weeks and no help or call back.

If there's an AMS rep on this forum, please message me. If someone here knows the AMS tuners, please message me. I'm not looking to make a big deal out of this, but I can't seem to get anywhere when I call AMS.
2017 Blaze Metallic Premium

#2 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8461 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:06 AM

Are you on ecutek or Cobb? What part of Texas are you in ? There are a few shops that could provide a key help you out. You’ll probably want to get a retune and dyno since you just bought it and can never be sure what is going on. T1 is outside Dallas Jotech is in Garland The Shop Houston
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#3 GTRHOLIC

GTRHOLIC

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:16 AM

You're not with their big dog built or a famous social media racer otherwise you'll get sorted out within couple minutes!

#4 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:10 AM

You're not with their big dog built or a famous social media racer otherwise you'll get sorted out within couple minutes!

Well...I wouldn't be that pessimistic.   At the West Chicago Illinois store, the tuner is Jacob and the manager is Will; some things change...

However, If the Texas emissions tests are with your ALDL port, the sensors must be enabled and with no cats in your DPs and Midpipe, you can't pass.  There are ways that have been discussed (which I won't go into here) to fool the sensors into thinking you have functioning DP cats.  And, if you have SD mapping, you will need a MAF map just for emissions testing, with the sensors enabled (after you have the previous mentioned fix).  

Now common sense would be that if you AREN'T their customer...though your car has their parts...they have no special obligation to you.  I would suggest JUST BE NICE and write an E-Mail to them; maybe they'll work something out for you.

I get along with them; some here do and some here don't.  Maybe it's how they are approached, like anything else...

Alexd

Edited by alexdavis, 16 October 2020 - 01:10 AM.

bOeuB0b.jpg

2012 Gun-Metal GT-R Alpha 6 ([email protected]) originally tuned by Chris Black

Cobb, AAM mid-pipe, Gotboost 3", ID1000, FF manifold, 100 octane, stock DPs

Front camera, Whistler Remote, Reverse Beep eliminator, Running lights with headlights

Upgraded to Alpha 9 with MPSS tires: 9.7/148 all day

Fun to daily drive, thanks to AMS's Jacob Compton

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12

#5 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8461 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

As I’ve mentioned before, if you are Ecutek, you don’t need to do anything other than load an emissions map. No O2 sensors, foulers, MAF, etc. Literally takes 2 mins to have all monitors “ready” !!
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#6 WideRide

WideRide

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:46 PM

As I’ve mentioned before, if you are Ecutek, you don’t need to do anything other than load an emissions map. No O2 sensors, foulers, MAF, etc. Literally takes 2 mins to have all monitors “ready” !!

Would he need to perform the typical drive cycles associated with readiness monitors? 

#7 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8461 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:46 PM

^^ nope just hop in and drive it a 1/2 mile or so.

#8 WideRide

WideRide

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:33 AM

That's some very useful info. Thanks

#9 BlazeTastic

BlazeTastic

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 12:09 PM

Are you on ecutek or Cobb? What part of Texas are you in ? There are a few shops that could provide a key help you out. You’ll probably want to get a retune and dyno since you just bought it and can never be sure what is going on. T1 is outside Dallas Jotech is in Garland The Shop Houston

Car came with a Cobb AP. I'm outside of Austin and noticed Cobb is in the area, but the tune loaded is from AMS, although I found a lot of Cobb tunes in the Cobb AP too. 

Well...I wouldn't be that pessimistic.   At the West Chicago Illinois store, the tuner is Jacob and the manager is Will; some things change...

However, If the Texas emissions tests are with your ALDL port, the sensors must be enabled and with no cats in your DPs and Midpipe, you can't pass.  There are ways that have been discussed (which I won't go into here) to fool the sensors into thinking you have functioning DP cats.  And, if you have SD mapping, you will need a MAF map just for emissions testing, with the sensors enabled (after you have the previous mentioned fix).  

Now common sense would be that if you AREN'T their customer...though your car has their parts...they have no special obligation to you.  I would suggest JUST BE NICE and write an E-Mail to them; maybe they'll work something out for you.

I get along with them; some here do and some here don't.  Maybe it's how they are approached, like anything else...

Alexd

Let's just say the car will have working cats again and therefore I just need a safe tune that will allow O2 and Catalyst to go "ready". Maybe one of the numerous AMS tunes in the Cobb AP will do that, but until they're willing to chat, I won't know.

As for them not having any obligation to support me, I'm not sure I agree with that view. Nissan service centers don't turn me away when I have questions, and I didn't buy the car from them. If I ask them to perform something that has a cost, they inform me, but they don't ignore me. 

Edited by alexdavis, 17 October 2020 - 12:41 PM.

#10 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 12:29 PM

Car came with a Cobb AP. I'm outside of Austin and noticed Cobb is in the area, but the tune loaded is from AMS, although I found a lot of Cobb tunes in the Cobb AP too. 

Let's just say the car will have working cats again and therefore I just need a safe tune that will allow O2 and Catalyst to go "ready". Maybe one of the numerous AMS tunes in the Cobb AP will do that, but until they're willing to chat, I won't know.

As for them not having any obligation to support me, I'm not sure I agree with that view. Nissan service centers don't turn me away when I have questions, and I didn't buy the car from them. If I ask them to perform something that has a cost, they inform me, but they don't ignore me. 

I understand your point...and I'm not a Lawyer, but I think it's safe to say that should Push come to Shove, they have no legal basis to extend themselves for you (for free).  But that being said, obviously BOTH Nissan and AMS are in business, and won't turn away from paying (or potentially future paying) customers.  Again...BE NICE.

Unlike Droptopp's excellent advice about features on Ecutek that Cobb doesn't have, all you probably need is to have a MAF map that has the sensors enabled (assuming you have Cat-fooling devices already installed).  Then, unlike with Ecutek, over time and driving starts, etc. your car's sensors will enable themselves spontaneously.  There are instructions somewhere around here as to how to shorten the period of time/distance/starts that this takes.  It is NOT a function of distance per se.

Possibly a simple question to AMS or perhaps someone here (not me) would be to see if one of the MAF maps you already have, has the sensors enabled (that is, allowing your car's sensors to enable themselves...rather than permanently shut off by the map).  However, if the map is encrypted to your car, only AMS can look and see.  However, should that be the case, it would only take AMS's tuning people a couple of seconds to answer that question if they see your map (making it a very simple request for a favor, if it stops there).

This is why an E-Mail with the attached map file might be the way to go (with a nice explanation and request); if your map has the sensors disabled, they can send you back the map with that changed...again in seconds.

Good luck!

Alexd

Edited by alexdavis, 17 October 2020 - 03:20 PM.

bOeuB0b.jpg

2012 Gun-Metal GT-R Alpha 6 ([email protected]) originally tuned by Chris Black

Cobb, AAM mid-pipe, Gotboost 3", ID1000, FF manifold, 100 octane, stock DPs

Front camera, Whistler Remote, Reverse Beep eliminator, Running lights with headlights

Upgraded to Alpha 9 with MPSS tires: 9.7/148 all day

Fun to daily drive, thanks to AMS's Jacob Compton

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12

#11 guido1350

guido1350

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 01:59 PM

I think AMS needs better customer service.  They may not want to help, but they should tell you that so you don't waste your time.  If they can help, then they need to say that as well and not "forget" or whatever other reason is given.

#12 BlazeTastic

BlazeTastic

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:16 AM

Possibly a simple question to AMS or perhaps someone here (not me) would be to see if one of the MAF maps you already have, has the sensors enabled (that is, allowing your car's sensors to enable themselves...rather than permanently shut off by the map).  However, if the map is encrypted to your car, only AMS can look and see.  However, should that be the case, it would only take AMS's tuning people a couple of seconds to answer that question if they see your map (making it a very simple request for a favor, if it stops there).

This is why an E-Mail with the attached map file might be the way to go (with a nice explanation and request); if your map has the sensors disabled, they can send you back the map with that changed...again in seconds.

Good luck!

Alexd

Thanks for the feedback Alex, it's appreciated. 

#13 hunter

hunter

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:32 AM

Droptopp........Is this true..I live in AZ and we yest every 2 years via OBD port.... Send me a PM so as not to put up all info..........tell me more.I have a Cobb tune from Tim but stock downs etc. for emissions reasons..

GTR GUY IN AZ

#14 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8461 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:15 AM

@Alex - I was the first to ask OP which platform he was tuned on - Cobb or Ecutek. As such I provided information for both. Subsequent followup questions in thread were answered. Thanks for agreeing it’s excellent information. @Hunter PM’d

#15 wells08

wells08

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:21 PM

I have/had the same problem.  i ended up calling a local shop and having them do 2 new custom tunes for me.  They still have the car right now, but I expect it to be sorted out by tomorrow.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users