32 replies to this topic

#1 Mid-Life Crisis

Mid-Life Crisis

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2276 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 08:48 AM

I previously owned an '09 GT-R that I bought new for $72K the beginning of '09, and sold the beginning of '13 for $62K, with a little over 20K miles on it. In June '14 I bought a used '14 GT-R with the semi-aniline interior (red) with approximately 3K miles on it for $87.5K. Sold it a year and a half later, December '15, with almost 8K miles on it. I've been looking at the used GT-R market, and wow, have these cars really held their resale value! I just did a check on used '17's, and they range from a low of $78K to $99K (discounting one that is listed for almost $120K, that perhaps is heavily modded and the owner wants expects to recoup the full cost of parts and labor). If I do a search on '18's, only two show up, one for almost $90K with over 33K miles, and the other with no price listed. ONE '19 used listed, for $98K. Good time for GT-R sellers but not for buyers. I wonder how long the seller's market will hold?
CURRENT: '18 Cadillac ATS-V Championship Edition PAST '14 Jaguar XFR-S '19 Corvette Grand Sport//'18 Audi S5 Sportback '15 Maserati Granturismo Sport '17 MB AMG C63 Cabriolet '17 Lotus Evora 400//'15 Audi S4, Stage II '14 Nissan GT-R//'08 Pontiac G8 GT '11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon//'09 Nissan GT-R '12 Mitsubishi EVO MR//'07 BMW M6 Coupe '09 Cadillac CTS-V//'05 Audi S4 '06 Infiniti M35 Sport//'04 Subaru STi '02 Subaru WRX//'91 GMC Syclone (two--the first caught fire) '86 Buick Grand National//'86 Olds Cutlass Calais International '86 Chevy Z24//'85 Pontiac Fiero '81 Mustang//'64 Rambler

#2 bi9guns

bi9guns

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 11:01 AM

I did a quick kbb eval on my 2009 that I bought used 3 years ago from a dealer. The dealer price is $6k higher now even after putting 4k miles on it!

#3 rwheelz

rwheelz

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:19 PM

Remember used car prices are up 16% since the start of the pandemic. That is the average and includes the 90% of cars that are a POS to anyone interested in a GTR. It is simply a great time to be selling, and a horrible time to be buying a used car in general. 

#4 Mid-Life Crisis

Mid-Life Crisis

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2276 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:27 PM

Remember used car prices are up 16% since the start of the pandemic. That is the average and includes the 90% of cars that are a POS to anyone interested in a GTR. It is simply a great time to be selling, and a horrible time to be buying a used car in general. 

Ironically, I am not having much luck selling my '18 Cadillac ATS-V Championship Edition, I have it listed for $46,990 with just under 18K miles, and all I'm getting are tire kickers, low ball offers, or hard luck stories. A KBB Private Party value using Very Good Condition (playing it conservative against using Excellent Condition) is almost $50K.
CURRENT: '18 Cadillac ATS-V Championship Edition PAST '14 Jaguar XFR-S '19 Corvette Grand Sport//'18 Audi S5 Sportback '15 Maserati Granturismo Sport '17 MB AMG C63 Cabriolet '17 Lotus Evora 400//'15 Audi S4, Stage II '14 Nissan GT-R//'08 Pontiac G8 GT '11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon//'09 Nissan GT-R '12 Mitsubishi EVO MR//'07 BMW M6 Coupe '09 Cadillac CTS-V//'05 Audi S4 '06 Infiniti M35 Sport//'04 Subaru STi '02 Subaru WRX//'91 GMC Syclone (two--the first caught fire) '86 Buick Grand National//'86 Olds Cutlass Calais International '86 Chevy Z24//'85 Pontiac Fiero '81 Mustang//'64 Rambler

#5 Python

Python

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3066 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:58 PM

Ironically, I am not having much luck selling my '18 Cadillac ATS-V Championship Edition, I have it listed for $46,990 with just under 18K miles, and all I'm getting are tire kickers, low ball offers, or hard luck stories. A KBB Private Party value using Very Good Condition (playing it conservative against using Excellent Condition) is almost $50K.

i can only imagine the tire kickers and time wasters on a nice car like that. i was/am selling some auto parts and i tell ya man. people trying to buy 20 inch tires for a car with 19 or 21 inch rims :lmfao:

#6 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 01:31 AM

^ lmfao
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#7 gixy2k

gixy2k

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:08 AM

Yes, prices have been very generous to the GTR selling market.  How long will it last?  That, my friend, would be nice to know.

I've also noticed the high value put on the '14s to '17s.  And if you're looking at '18+, you might as well buy a new GTR, which are selling for as low as $105k, in some instances. 

Currently I've been eyeballing a '17 with 5k miles, asking price is $90K.

Pros: Local, one owner, and "apparently" it has not been modified.

Cons: Almost 4yr old, B-to-B warranty probably expired, $90K - might as well wait to see if there are any End-of-Year discounts for the 2020s; as of today, according to Nissan, there are 30+ in the market.

I do not look forward to dealing with Nissan dealerships.  Most salesmen have never sold a GTR, much less know how to treat/handle the demographic interested in buying one.  Which is why I try to deal with the 'elusive' lead sales manager.

On a side note.

They said Covid-19 is killing our economy.  Well, I don't know where or how.  Housing market is booming, same with car sales, and most businesses are open in some form or fashion (online, limited or full capacity, etc.) - at least in CO -.

I'm also in the market for a new house, and thanks to the political-driven monumental exodus from states that we won't mention, Colorado Springs, CO housing market prices, now resembles that of CA... :/   

Well, enough venting... :)

Edited by gixy2k, 01 November 2020 - 07:13 AM.

#8 semnos_nsx

semnos_nsx

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 10:47 AM

I too am looking to purchase a GTR and its crazy to me to see the prices that they are demanding right now. Great for sellers... not for buyers!

The thing that blows me away the most is, right now we are seeing some of the highest unemployment rates ever.... so how are unemployed people purchasing cars and driving up the prices for the used car market? Crazy times...lol

#9 SELVERGTR7

SELVERGTR7

NISMO Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9465 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 02:36 PM

Same thing in canada... 09/10 still selling in high 50s mid 60s and 2013-16 in 75k-85k range... not that there are a lot of them for sale ( around 50 in canada )

#10 Hellfromabove

Hellfromabove

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 03:13 PM

I too am looking to purchase a GTR and its crazy to me to see the prices that they are demanding right now. Great for sellers... not for buyers!

The thing that blows me away the most is, right now we are seeing some of the highest unemployment rates ever.... so how are unemployed people purchasing cars and driving up the prices for the used car market? Crazy times...lol

Idk about them purchasing cars, but getting work done on cars is definitely something that's been on the rise. Went to my Subaru tuner before I got the GTR for an issue with my vehicle. They said the lead time was about 4 - 6 weeks! I was shocked. They said everyone is in getting their cars modded or repaired thanks to the masses getting sponsored by Trump Pro Racing. Everyone just taking those stimulus checks and burning them faster than they can get the funds recognized in their accounts. Service industry in general is booming currently. HVAC shops I know saying they have doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled their work load since COVID hit. Instead of people spending money on vacations, they're all just getting work done on their houses.

The used car market will probably level out in the next 5ish years. Prices will probs not go back down to what the market was demanding pre COVID, but if markets for other industries has taught us anything, it def won't fall too low from where it's currently at. Later model DBAs are being sought after more and more and the production numbers drop considerably every year.

#11 archan

archan

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 11:34 PM

Keep track of what actually sells. In my neck of the woods there are quite a few GT-Rs for sale att outrageous prices. They just collect dust. The ones getting sold go for a lot less.

#12 JPAT27

JPAT27

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:27 AM

Yes, prices have been very generous to the GTR selling market.  How long will it last?  That, my friend, would be nice to know.

I've also noticed the high value put on the '14s to '17s.  And if you're looking at '18+, you might as well buy a new GTR, which are selling for as low as $105k, in some instances. 

Currently I've been eyeballing a '17 with 5k miles, asking price is $90K.

Pros: Local, one owner, and "apparently" it has not been modified.

Cons: Almost 4yr old, B-to-B warranty probably expired, $90K - might as well wait to see if there are any End-of-Year discounts for the 2020s; as of today, according to Nissan, there are 30+ in the market.

I do not look forward to dealing with Nissan dealerships.  Most salesmen have never sold a GTR, much less know how to treat/handle the demographic interested in buying one.  Which is why I try to deal with the 'elusive' lead sales manager.

On a side note.

They said Covid-19 is killing our economy.  Well, I don't know where or how.  Housing market is booming, same with car sales, and most businesses are open in some form or fashion (online, limited or full capacity, etc.) - at least in CO -.

I'm also in the market for a new house, and thanks to the political-driven monumental exodus from states that we won't mention, Colorado Springs, CO housing market prices, now resembles that of CA... :/   

I am not expert but its the same situation here in Boston. My friend just bought a 17 Prem (orange on orange) FBO 19k miles for 87k at the end of October. Saw similar one 17 Prem (Blue on orange) FBO 26k miles a few days ago at Nexus Auto Brokers going for 94k! 

Being optimistic here but hopefully the dust settles into next year and the prices come back down a bit for homes and cars. 

Edited by JPAT27, 02 November 2020 - 12:52 PM.

#13 HILife GT-R

HILife GT-R

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:20 AM

This is good news, kinda.  I'm a buy low sell high kinda person.  This makes me want to unload mine and wait till the market cools down.  But who knows, it may not go down because of the stopping of the R35 production.  But also, mine has given me problem free operation and the only way I'll want to come back is via a nismo. 

#14 StockR35

StockR35

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 12:13 PM

Used market is crap for buyers now . New GTRs aren't selling so the used market is dry. Nissan has a hard time finding people that want to spend $110K+ on a new Nissan 

#15 GTRChic904

GTRChic904

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:39 AM

I would like your help. I have been a GTR owner for a couple of years now and currently own two one of which I am selling. Below is the link. I am struggling though because I don't think my price is unreasonable however, daily I get ridiculous offers, 30-35K which I think is absurd. I have kept all records and it has been well maintained by Kozmic Motorsports. It has only a little over 68K miles and over 15K in upgrades including a 2012 bellhousing so the transmission is very strong not to mention I just installed a HKS transcooler and recently did all liquids and had my shop do a once over on the transmission and motor. I would like your advice on my asking price and overall condition of my car. I appreciate your honesty! 

https://www.cargurus...sting=286431198

#16 bigc

bigc

choose your destructor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 01:38 PM

...On a side note.

What you two are observing is more of a function of limited supply.  For-sale single family home inventory is very low right now - folks are keeping their house (refinancing is way up) and investors are buying the few remaining homes to use as rentals.  Folks aren't turning in their used cars to buy new ones.  Rather, they're doing maintenance to keep their car running until all of this blows over.

Like a few other posters have said, I would hold off on major discretionary purchases until things calm down.  If you need a house right now, fine, buy it.  But if you don't need to buy a car right now, sellers may be more motivated to deal in the future if inventory starts increasing.

2017 Nissan GT-R, FBO+E85, Pearl White on Rakuda

2013 Infiniti G37 IPL Convertible, Moonlight White Pearl, "Lucy Jr." - sold

2005 Infiniti G35TT Coupe, Ivory Pearl, "Lucy" - sold

#17 Python

Python

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3066 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 05:35 PM

I would like your help. I have been a GTR owner for a couple of years now and currently own two one of which I am selling. Below is the link. I am struggling though because I don't think my price is unreasonable however, daily I get ridiculous offers, 30-35K which I think is absurd. I have kept all records and it has been well maintained by Kozmic Motorsports. It has only a little over 68K miles and over 15K in upgrades including a 2012 bellhousing so the transmission is very strong not to mention I just installed a HKS transcooler and recently did all liquids and had my shop do a once over on the transmission and motor. I would like your advice on my asking price and overall condition of my car. I appreciate your honesty! 

I don't think your price is absurd with the mods and all. Everyone wants something for nothing. those low ball offers are funny. carmax would give you more than that.

#18 L.L.

L.L.

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 05:49 PM

Stick to your asking price range. No need to accommodate lowballers if you're not in a position of needing to liquidate and even then, you'd probably get more than those offers. Mileage is a little on the high side but not enough to justify the offers in the 30k range. Personally, I wouldn't be that nice about it and tell them to f-off.

2015 Nissan GT-R Premium (SOLD)

AMS Alpha 9+ Turbochargers | AMS Alpha Induction Kit | AMS Alpha Front Mount Intercooler
AMS Alpha 3" Intakes | AMS Alpha 90mm Downpipes  | Litchfield 102mm Triple Silenced Exhaust
AMS 4.0 BAR Map Sensor | AMS Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank | AMS Alpha Splash Shield

Speed Density on Cobb AP3 | ID1300 Injectors | Tial Q BOV | DW300C Fuel Pumps | GotBoost Flexfuel Kit | GotBoost Fuel Pressure Monitoring Kit

Stock Block/Transmission | Tuned by Chris Black & ACG Automotive | Built by JohnWigs @ Pacific Nissan 

2017 Acura NSX (SOLD)

130R White on Red/Alcantara

2016 Nissan GT-R Black Edition (Current)
Cobb SF 2.75" Intakes w/Green filters

HKS Resonated Midpipe

HKS 45th Anniversary 2-Stage Exhaust

#19 gixy2k

gixy2k

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 08:59 AM

IMO, the level of urgency to sell it combined with the current GTR market value "should" set the price.

There is currently a guy in Car.com selling a Black Edition 2014 Black GTR with 25k. mi., w/ FBO/e85 selling it for $92K.  To me, this person is not in a hurry to sell his GTR.  I, on the other hand, sold the same car, but white, 19k. mi., for $63K a year ago in CA.  I'm sure personal circumstances were different, since I had no intention of keeping a FBO/e85 in CA, nor a neutered GTR just to comply with CA's smog regulations.  But life, being as funny as it is, offered me a better job back in CO, moved back, and I'm back in the market for another GTR. 

Keep in mind that currently there are 116 GTRs in Cars.com within your asking price.  However, $55K is pretty reasonable given all that you've done to it.  This would be a great entry level GTR for a young guy trying to get into our hobby.

#20 gixy2k

gixy2k

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 09:19 AM

What you two are observing is more of a function of limited supply.  For-sale single family home inventory is very low right now - folks are keeping their house (refinancing is way up) and investors are buying the few remaining homes to use as rentals.  Folks aren't turning in their used cars to buy new ones.  Rather, they're doing maintenance to keep their car running until all of this blows over.

Like a few other posters have said, I would hold off on major discretionary purchases until things calm down.  If you need a house right now, fine, buy it.  But if you don't need to buy a car right now, sellers may be more motivated to deal in the future if inventory starts increasing.

I sold my house in Colorado Springs, CO in June of 2018 to move to Lompoc/Santa Maria, CA.  Spent 2 years looking for a house in the local area, but I kept refusing to buy small old houses for $1/2Mil or new tiny houses for $3/4Mil and then paying $6K/year for taxes.  Quick note about the housing market in that area, most were in some sort of pre-foreclosure stage.

Came back to Colorado Springs just to find out that the housing market was getting as crazy as CA.  The house that I sold in 2018, after 2 years, went up $200K.  One of the differences between CA and CO, is that you get more house, more land, and pay almost 1/2 in property taxes in CO.

But to my point, and in my case, I did not see and have not seen a "limited supply" in housing, here in the Springs or in Lompoc/Santa Maria area in CA.  Supply is there, the value the housing market is imposing on houses is what's keeping me away from buying right now.  Luckily, now I'm living inside the Air Force Academy where my commute is only 5min. ;-)  and I can take my time finding the perfect home/GTR :D

Edited by gixy2k, 05 November 2020 - 09:40 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users