Photo
- - - - -

Do 2020 and 2021s still have bellhousing rattle?

24 replies to this topic

#21 Hellfromabove

Hellfromabove

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:19 PM

Got a MY15 about a month ago. Started her up the other day and heard a very faint bell sound for a few seconds. Haven't heard it so far, but thinking that it's inevitable. One of those "Winter is Coming" scenarios it seems.

#22 Hellfromabove

Hellfromabove

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:25 PM

Alright so I went to drive a 2020 with 19k on it to get a feel. First of all, holy shit the mechanical noises this thing made....no way its normal, random loud grinding when on full lock trying to park. And what appeared to be intermittent bell housing rattle at idle in Park. But my biggest take away was the drivers seat. Perhaps Im missing something, but the bottom cushion is terrible. The general shape doesnt seem comfortable. Tilt all the way down or up didnt change much. I can live with the bolsters as Im 5-7 135, and slim build. Otherwise, it feels extremely premium inside, the polar opposite of the ZL1 1LE I drove before.

This particular car definitely seemed abused. Scrapes on the bottom, chips, etc.

Wow, a 2020 with 19k on it already?! Yeah, that owner is probs beating the heck out of it. I was in the same boat when hearing the transmission in this car for the first time, it sounds like a truck! You get used to it pretty fast though. Also, the car is quite large from the sports cars that I've owned over the years so that took a couple days to get used to as well. Regarding the seats, perhaps the owner is just really wearing out the cushion if he's a bigger guy or has a lot of bottom weight. I have no complaints with mine, I got mine with the Ivory White leather and absolutely love love love it all. Wish the inside was much more luxurious, but that's not what this car is for. Perhaps I'll get in to a 17+ down the road to get that interior upgrade.

#23 jaysubi

jaysubi

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:36 PM

If your bell housing is acting up, go with ATR Upgraded Bell Housing. It is only $899 . with an extra $400 core charge, which you will get back if you decide to ship your OEM. I have heard nothing but great things about the ATR upgrade.

ATR Bell Housing-  https://www.autotech...d-bell-housing/

#24 GTRonald

GTRonald

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:37 PM

The full lock grinding noise is normal on AWD cars.

I'm not sure this is always just normal. mine did this a little tiny bit when I got it.... used 8k miles on a dba trans.

over next 1500 miles it got worse and worse to the point it made noise even with small amt of steering wheel turn.

all along it was the trans... oil pump gear was walking off into 1st gear... chewed each other up and all other gears got worn from all the debris. Minor circlip failure like this can ruin the guts of your trans over time.

8 get it know what yur saying about the steering lock to lock --- most cars will make at least some excess noise at full lock.... so differentiating the sound could fool you into dismissing a real problem coming down the pike. Not trying to scare anyone but just sharing my experience with it. Seller told me it was all good and normal and Regal Nissan in GA had just given it a clean bill of health!

1500miles later Shep diagnosed the issue by watching a single video and listening to the noise. Once cracked open, he was spot on with the issue.

Do this to differentiate.... stand outside the vehicle at the back and put your ears to one of the rear wheel wells... and have someone else turn it lock-to-lock.

If ANY squealing/grinding is heard from the rear of vehicle... its your trans. Not a normal labored power steering noise which should eminate from front of vehicle.

For what its worth the noise I heard ALWAYS sounded like coming from front of vehicle while in drivers seat.

Soon as I got out to rear wheel well and had someone else turn the wheel it was completely obviously coming from the trans which for anyone who might not know is in the mid-rear of car connected directly to rear diff and runs a drive shift forward to front of veh.

Edited by GTRonald, 20 November 2020 - 12:39 PM.

20191019_170309.jpg
Alpha9

#25 SPG1

SPG1

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:48 AM

Wow, a 2020 with 19k on it already?! Yeah, that owner is probs beating the heck out of it. I was in the same boat when hearing the transmission in this car for the first time, it sounds like a truck! You get used to it pretty fast though. Also, the car is quite large from the sports cars that I've owned over the years so that took a couple days to get used to as well. Regarding the seats, perhaps the owner is just really wearing out the cushion if he's a bigger guy or has a lot of bottom weight. I have no complaints with mine, I got mine with the Ivory White leather and absolutely love love love it all. Wish the inside was much more luxurious, but that's not what this car is for. Perhaps I'll get in to a 17+ down the road to get that interior upgrade.

Yeah it honestly looked abused. With the seat cushion, it felt like it wouldn't tilt up high enough and support my thighs. Almost felt like I was sitting straight up. I've never felt this in another GT-R. The inside feels like $120,000 I'll be honest, this car had the premium interior pack and nothing felt out of place.

Edited by SPG1, 21 November 2020 - 11:48 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users