9 replies to this topic

#1 livinlrg05

livinlrg05

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:48 AM

I'm in need of some new brakes for a Hpde coming up soon. Rotors and pads are in order but I cant decide on the most cost efficient/ performance efficient option...

Does anyone have any experience with these rotors? EBC® - Nissan GT-R 2015 Fully-Floating Slotted 2-Piece Brake Rotors (carid.com)

Should I go with Carbotech xp20 pads or Hawk dct 70's

When I drive this car it is to DRIVE the car. I usually run in advanced group. I know how to change driving style to "save" the brakes but I would like a setup that will support 10 10ths for a couple laps, and after they cool off are not in need of replacement.

I have had great results with Carbotech's (xp12, 16) in the past and had a huge let down with the hawks I have tried Hawk's (hps, hp,+ caramics, ht10) but it seems like the track rats on this platform love the Hawks's

If the EBC's are a no-go for rotors is there a sub $3k option for rotors that some of you are using for aggressive tracking? Brakes are consumables so I don't care about pretty, I am looking for what will be most cost effective for the most performance.

Basically I don't want to shell out $4k for j hooks and pads if I don't need to but will if it's the only option.

Edited by livinlrg05, 22 November 2020 - 03:51 AM.

#2 Jon H

Jon H

R34 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:14 PM

Don't know anyone that's used those rotors. I've tried AP, Alcon, Racing Brake and have a set of DBAs that have yet to have been installed. Needed new rotors for an upcoming track day and everything else was on back order. Got a good deal on the DBA rotors so I decided to try them out. Alcon is probably one of the best in terms of price/durability. 

For pads, I've tried Racing Brake XT whatevers, CLs, Hawk DTC 70/60s and soon to be Endless MX72s. Hawks were great when they weren't noisy on the street. Really good pad for track at a good price. The Hawk pads you've tried are street pads and aren't recommended for track use with our car since it's so heavy. Got a great deal on MX72s via Vivid Racing, so I decided to give them a go since they were similar in price to the Hawks. 

For cost effective, I'd probably go Alcon with Hawk DTC 70s. Heard some durability issues with the DBAs, but no personal experience on them yet.

2017 GT-R

2015 GT3 (Sold)
2013 GT-R (Sold)
2009 GT-R (Sold)

BW CW13 - 1:50.6
https://youtu.be/CFau6MhJHa4

#3 Tay

Tay

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:20 PM

I would stick with AP Racing, Alcon or Girodisc for rotors. Brakes are not something you want to mess around with. Its worth spending money on a good set of rotors.

I tried Endless MX72's they are a good aggressive street pad, but once those were used up, I switched to the ME20's and they were much better.

I never used them on my GT-R, but now I have been only using Raybesto's ST43 on both of my current cars and they are excellent.

For brake fluid I would use Endless RF650. 

#4 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:09 PM

Never had an issue with JHooks and run Project Mu pads. Most cost effective will probably be the stock rotors from someone’s take offs but no guarantee it won’t cost you more in the long run as they don’t last long.
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#5 livinlrg05

livinlrg05

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I know ebc has a really good reputation. I would really like to know if their gtr rotors are any good? I might just bite the bullet and try them out since there seems to be little info on them for this platform. If they don't impress I will prob revert back to the Ap or Alcon path. 

@Tay, what makes you think that the ebc's are not a good set of rotors? I know that they have a huge presence in racing and a great reputation in the motorcycle world. They are also very popular with the bmw crowd. I would go with Girodisk for weight but you have to order special pads and their rear hat looses the ability to have a handbrake. 

#6 Tay

Tay

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I know ebc has a really good reputation. I would really like to know if their gtr rotors are any good? I might just bite the bullet and try them out since there seems to be little info on them for this platform. If they don't impress I will prob revert back to the Ap or Alcon path. 

@Tay, what makes you think that the ebc's are not a good set of rotors? I know that they have a huge presence in racing and a great reputation in the motorcycle world. They are also very popular with the bmw crowd. I would go with Girodisk for weight but you have to order special pads and their rear hat looses the ability to have a handbrake. 

I can't say EBC's aren't good as I don't have any experience with them. I am also not familiar with EBC's racing pedigree if they do in fact have one. I am only aware of the racing pedigree of AP Racing, Alcon and Girodisc. I also have used all three on various cars and have been very happy with all.

The good thing is rotors and pads are a wear item, so like you said, you can always try the AP's and the Alcon's later. 

#7 livinlrg05

livinlrg05

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:36 PM

I can't say EBC's aren't good as I don't have any experience with them. I am also not familiar with EBC's racing pedigree if they do in fact have one. I am only aware of the racing pedigree of AP Racing, Alcon and Girodisc. I also have used all three on various cars and have been very happy with all.

The good thing is rotors and pads are a wear item, so like you said, you can always try the AP's and the Alcon's later. 

EBC's Ultimate Brake Test | Ep.4 – Nissan GT-R Hot Laps with Jake Hill (RP-X Pads & 2-Piece Discs) - Bing video

EBC's Ultimate Brake Test | Ep.7 – Nissan GT-R AMS Test (OE vs EBC 2-Piece Discs & RP-X Pads) - Bing video

Their race history is very established, was just wanting real world user feedback on the rotors for the r35 specifically. Here's some vids I found on the rotors from EBC. Thanks for the recs.

#8 livinlrg05

livinlrg05

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:44 PM

I ended up getting the EBC rotors for a killer deal thanks to concept z in Arizona. They are a very helpful company with great customer service. They spent 30 mins talking with me about real world feedback and results for the parts that they sell with real non-biased answers. They have absolutely no feedback about these rotors because they are relatively new to the market and I am excited to get some time with them and report back about how they work to this forum and their company.

I ended up going with the DCT 70/60 combo based on the recs. by you guys so thanks for that. I hope these pads work better then their past products I have used (not on the GTR). 

#9 crainp

crainp

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:15 AM

J-Hooks front, DBA rear, DCT 70/60, Motul 660.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in your GTR, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming………."WOW!! What a Ride!

#10 Tay

Tay

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:21 PM

I ended up getting the EBC rotors for a killer deal thanks to concept z in Arizona. They are a very helpful company with great customer service. They spent 30 mins talking with me about real world feedback and results for the parts that they sell with real non-biased answers. They have absolutely no feedback about these rotors because they are relatively new to the market and I am excited to get some time with them and report back about how they work to this forum and their company.

I ended up going with the DCT 70/60 combo based on the recs. by you guys so thanks for that. I hope these pads work better then their past products I have used (not on the GTR). 

Let us know how they work out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users