#1 BaronOBeefdip

BaronOBeefdip

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:27 PM

Hi all,

I've been into cars since I was a wee lad. My first foray into anything worth a damn was when I bought my attainable dream car, a 2005 STi in 2012. I had been searching for a stock low mileage blobeye in World Rally Blue. This one had 28k on it at the time and I bought it the same day it was listed online from Florida. I had grown up playing Gran Turismo as well as other games and had also watched Subaru in WRC and fell in love. Over the time I owned it, I did a lot and fully built the motor to make safe reliable power, however I never ended up going with a larger turbo and E85 like I had planned.

Dyno video below:

https://www.youtube....h?v=b86wxFm5i1E

ZKnk3Rw.jpg?1

xwrsbkj.jpg?1

bZ1sOBS.jpg?1

J99KIiT.jpg?1

WeyZDXO.jpg

However, I was really a Nissan fanboi with a Subaru.

Then in 2017 I added to the garage and bought a brand new Focus ST3 as a daily, but that didn't last long; after only one winter took it off daily duties because I just wanted to take care of it. I am super particular and really like to take care of my things and keep them nice. I kept it mostly stock except for a couple deletes, wheels and a Cobb exhaust.

TZM1VMH.jpg?1

rpBb0tV.jpg?1

u10mMO1.jpg?1

Then things happened in my life late in 2019 and I sold the cars soon after that for personal reasons and moved to Denver this past summer. I dearly miss those cars but I had already decided in winter of 2018 that I was going to try to do what I could to afford the absolute dream of mine....an R34 GT-R. Selling the cars made up some of the funds for the Skyline. Like I said I was really a Nissan guy with a Subaru. I got nearly top dollar for the STi at the time, and got what I asked for on the ST. It's nice to see that well-taken care of older gen STis are being appreciated and commanding good prices, because the pool of nice examples sure is dwindling.

So I made the moves and got in touch with Top Rank Importers in California and got the ball rolling. I had already started getting parts for the car I didn't even have! After waiting for things to line up, I was able to start the search in early September. I had been keeping a close eye on the R34 market for some time now and was anxious as prices have been continuing to climb with no sign of stopping near a reasonable level. Hell, if I had bought even a year ago I would have saved a load of money. It's really crazy what these are going for.....but such is the way of things, especially when there are so little in the wild, let alone examples for sale.

I kept seeing so many nice cars get away from me, and I soon became pretty pessimistic that I wasn't going to make it happen; I thought I was too late. Then one night I was looking at auction cars and saw one that I liked yet again. I reached out to Top Rank again and gave them a number I was willing to bid to. After several confirmations and messages, I gave them the green light. Then I waited. As luck would have it, I received a message a few hours later late at night that I had won. I couldn't believe it, I was just floored. Granted, my search wasn't as long as some others, I was sure that I had missed the boat budget-wise. Needless to say, that night I basically didn't sleep I was so excited. Finally....I had a GT-R of my own.

At this point, I'm still over the moon. It's a November of 2000 Series II GT-R with 95k km in Sparkling Silver. Unfortunately with US import restrictions, I have to wait exactly five years to bring it over, so it's going to stay in Top Rank Japan's warehouse until then. I do plan on going over there once or twice a year once the borders open to check in, drive it and do some modifications to it, so this is a journey that I'm looking forward to, even though it will be a long process.

Check the next post for pics!

2000 Sparkling Silver R34 GT-R

Follow me on Instagram: denver_r34

#2 BaronOBeefdip

BaronOBeefdip

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

On to the pics!

VonOhIk.jpg

T0Anp48.jpg

Ol10kQk.jpg

naFoFvc.jpg

hCLhyUO.jpg

nMzcFFs.jpg

lLAC1Yl.jpg

8l1chHL.jpg

dkDKx7G.jpg

iEN7PdB.jpg

BvdW6e2.jpg

qjxKCKc.jpg

Q1GT9zY.jpg

V6sUL19.jpg

Some things definitely need to be addressed and changed out or gotten rid of, but that will come in time. As I can't get my hands on the car for five years, it'll be a slow burn of sorts. It also needs a thorough cleaning! But the car is well sorted, even if there are some questionable mods. It's a solid car and I'm excited to put my touches on it and make it my own.

As for the mod path/plans, I'm sure everyone says this about their own car, but I largely plan to make it OEM+. I typically build for reliability and addressing the platform's weaknesses/flaws first, and whatever power level comes with it, totally fine. I'm not a big power person, nor am I trying to be the fastest car out there. My ideal goal would be in the 500-600whp range, but we'll see. Mostly street driving with occasional trackdays, however I do plan on getting a dedicated track car in a couple years once I recover from the "financial ruin" this car has me in haha. Really though, I'll be having Top Rank carry out some maintenance and replace/repair work straight away in the next few months. I would like to do as much as I can while it's there, such as some paint correction, parts installs, and tuning at Midori, Mine's or another well-known shop; have yet to decide. Finally, before bringing it to the US, I'll round it out with some work at Omori Factory. I do plan on doing the full carbon Z Tune body panels and R Tune hood. Again, I have five years to save up for all this.

Stay tuned! 

Edited by BaronOBeefdip, 06 December 2020 - 04:04 PM.

#3 BaronOBeefdip

BaronOBeefdip

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

The obligatory Mod List!

Red = Don't have yet, but planned/want to buy

Orange = Pending/Waiting to go on the car

Green = Installed/completed

Blue = Old setup

ECU

• HKS FCON V Pro
  • Unknown tune

Engine

• ARC cooling plate
  • Blitz SUS air filters and connectors
  • HKS Turbos - unknown model
  • HKS oil filter
  • HKS intake piping
  • HKS intake couplers
  • Nismo oil cap
  • Nismo radiator cap
  • Unknown radiator
  • Unknown oil filter relocation kit
  • Garage Yoshida strut tower protectors
  • Nismo intercooler
  • Nismo oil cap

Fuel System

• Pending

Exhaust

• Trust PE Ti-R catback exhaust
  • Fujitsubo front pipe
  • Unknown catalyzer
  • HKS Super Turbo titanium catback - 45th Anniv. Edition 1 of 20 worldwide

Drivetrain

• Pending

Suspension/Handling/Chassis and Settings

• Nismo S Tune suspension

Wheels/Tires/Brakes

• RAYS Volk Racing TE37SL - pressed graphite - 18x10.5 +15
  • Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R - 265/35/18
  • Project Mu rotors

Exterior

• Nismo S Tune front bumper
  • Nismo smoked front indicators
  • Nismo smoked side indicators
  • Nismo side skirts
  • Nismo rear skirts
  • Unknown rear diffuser
  • CW Collective CF rear diffuser w/standard fins

Interior

• Defi controller
  • Defi gauges - exhaust temp, AFR, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, boost, Stepmaster
  • HKS EVC 4
  • Nismo white Duracon knob
  • Nismo white 320kph cluster
  • Panasonic Carozzeria head unit
  • Unknown satnav/lap timer
  • Mine's Alcantara shifter and handbrake boots - red stitching
  • Mine's Alcantara center armrest cover - red stitching
  • Mine's Alcantara/leather steering wheel - red stitching
  • Mine's titanium FB shift knob
  • Nismo black 320kph cluster
  • Nismo GT500 black shift knob
  • Nismo black Duracon knob

Edited by BaronOBeefdip, 12 February 2021 - 01:57 PM.

#4 Gdzilla_

Gdzilla_

Marketplace Moderator

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5125 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 06:02 PM

Welcome to the forum boards.

And I’ll be subscribed to this... love the R34’s

Current Stable:
2009 R35 Premium Edition 'GDZILLA' / Ivory Pearl / Ebony / brought home Sept. 8th 2008 / weekend warrior
2006 Solstice 'EMILEY' / Olympic White / Ebony on Suede / for those 'Top Down' summer days
2014 GMC All Terrain Sierra 4x4 'C2SKYE' / Summit White / Ebony Faux Carbon Fiber / trailer hauler
1999 Vulcan Nomad 'TAZ' / Pearl Boulogne / Candy Arsenate Green / quick weekend get-a-ways
2008 Vulcan Classic LT 'PEARL' / Crystal Pearl White / Metallic Titanium / quick weekend get-a-ways for the wife
2019 Tucson Ultimate AWD 'POLRCUB' / Winter White / Ebony on Beige / Wife's daily driver
'EMILEYII' / Solstice battery powered ride on car / White / daily driver for my daughter
'GDZILLAII' / R35 GTR battery powered ride on car / White / weekend warrior for my daughter
1999 R34 Gtt Skyline / White / Ebony / Sold

#5 joshuaho96

joshuaho96

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:09 PM

Fingers crossed you can deal with the wait. I "only" waited 2 years for my R33 and I've felt like an actual crazy person for a while now.

#6 BaronOBeefdip

BaronOBeefdip

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:56 PM

Thanks!

It should come with instructions that say "patience not included". Luckily though I'm a patient person...well, I have no choice, kinda have to be. But to stave off boredom, I suppose I can always check stuff off the spreadsheet and buy parts for the car, right?

I have some knobs and an oil cap:

HLOKWbo.jpg

Followed by a Nismo intercooler straight from Omori:

VrP8ptL.jpg

Rounded out by the recent purchase of an HKS 45th Anniversary titanium Super Turbo catback, one of only 20 pieces worldwide for the R34:

rk5J9aT.jpg

O7Gv6IS.jpg

GIDi1zl.jpg

bRmeMM1.jpg

oKJmtXj.jpg

nvhSeXd.jpg

I also plan to get in on the first batch of CF rear diffusers made by CW Collective, will be posting more details about that this week when more info is released!

Edited by BaronOBeefdip, 06 December 2020 - 11:00 PM.

#7 illpayne

illpayne

Dream Crusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2810 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 10:30 AM

Huge congrats on the getting the car. I know itll be a bit of a wait but itll be worth it. Plus you have the option of getting the car done at serval tuner shops or take it to Omari. One thing about Omari is that the car has to be registered.
My Blog

follow me on twitter: illpayne

follow me on Instagram: illpayne

Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is.

2009 Midnight Purple 3 GTR - SOLD

1990 Gunmetal Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R

#8 BaronOBeefdip

BaronOBeefdip

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 11:18 AM

Hey thanks! Yes the car will be registered before I plan on taking it to Omori.

#9 paparazzi

paparazzi

Torque Junkie

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3443 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 11:21 AM

Congrats on the acquisition. Looks like all the makings of an epic rebuild

R35 JDM MINE'S  
R34 JDM Spec V II

#10 BaronOBeefdip

BaronOBeefdip

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 11:26 AM

Thank you. It's gonna get pampered for sure.

Now can someone tell me why I can't change my avatar pic?

#11 9TR

9TR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 05:47 PM

Awesome, well done on the pickup.

#12 GSX-R35

GSX-R35

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2279 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:46 PM

Congrats! You're lucky you've gotten one when you did because prices are almost certainly going to keep climbing until the 25 year mark hits!

2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35 GT-R

1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 GT-R V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Gray Nismo R32 GT-R

2017 Black/Red Wilier Triestina GTR SL (it's a bicycle but it's a GTR so it counts!)

Want to read about one crazy gearhead and his three GT-Rs? Check out my blog at 23GT.net !

#13 BaronOBeefdip

BaronOBeefdip

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:51 PM

Thanks guys! I'm a little late to the party, but better late than never!(being priced out, that is)

By the way, seen both your content and your blog, definitely a fan!

Today I'm adding more parts to the purchased list....got myself a black Nismo cluster to replace the white one and also got a rear VSpec jack plate for the soon to be bought CW Collective diffuser!

Edited by BaronOBeefdip, 08 December 2020 - 10:51 PM.

#14 joshuaho96

joshuaho96

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:51 AM

Going to be honest, I'm a little confused why you want a new rear diffuser to replace the OEM part. Aren't they supposed to be roughly comparable? I would have figured it made sense for the base model BNR34 without the rear diffuser or an R33. There are companies out there doing replacement brackets for the OEM diffuser as well as the OEM brackets tended to rust away into dust after 25 years.

#15 BaronOBeefdip

BaronOBeefdip

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 01:21 AM

It's not an OEM diffuser and not carbon...look closer. Plus it looks in rough nick. A bit too rough for my liking; I'd prefer to not have beat-up parts on my car. Also notice the front of the diffuser? It looks like zip ties or something weird and the sides near the rear arms look to be crudely cut. I do need to get better pics. Fair question though. :D

Edited by BaronOBeefdip, 09 December 2020 - 01:28 AM.

#16 joshuaho96

joshuaho96

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:08 PM

Ah yeah, didn't look close enough.

#17 GSX-R35

GSX-R35

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2279 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 06:07 PM

By the way, seen both your content and your blog, definitely a fan!

If that was aimed at me, thanks! Glad to hear of another fellow Skyline fan enjoying the blog! I hope you'll continue to find it interesting in the future :)

2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35 GT-R

1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 GT-R V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Gray Nismo R32 GT-R

2017 Black/Red Wilier Triestina GTR SL (it's a bicycle but it's a GTR so it counts!)

Want to read about one crazy gearhead and his three GT-Rs? Check out my blog at 23GT.net !

#18 BaronOBeefdip

BaronOBeefdip

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:05 PM

If that was aimed at me, thanks! Glad to hear of another fellow Skyline fan enjoying the blog! I hope you'll continue to find it interesting in the future :)

Indeed it was! If you keep postin', I'll keep readin'!

Just recently confirmed that Nengun has located a black Nismo cluster for me! :irock: I was sitting on ordering one, but as soon as I found out they were discontinued, I bought one through them while it was still possible. Looking at their website, it now says discontinued! I paid $600, but I'm sure now the prices will skyrocket. I asked someone on IG how much they wanted for theirs and they said $1200! I wonder what they'll be worth in the future.

Also bought some Garage Yoshida strut tower protectors from Nengun.

Recently paid for the CW Collective diffuser as well. Parts slowly rolling in!

Edited by BaronOBeefdip, 23 December 2020 - 12:50 PM.

#19 joshuaho96

joshuaho96

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 03:59 PM

All of those parts seem to have been discontinued recently. I was thinking about maybe getting the "full scale" sub meter for the R33, but it's not actually useful because it's well out of view for the driver. If you want to do your own "full scale" meter without paying a laughable amount for a Nismo cluster you can basically just adjust some resistor values on the R32/R33 to recalibrate everything: 

Edited by joshuaho96, 23 December 2020 - 03:59 PM.

#20 BaronOBeefdip

BaronOBeefdip

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 04:06 PM

Yep, that's why I put an order in. However, bit of bad news for me: Nengun just sent me an email saying they can't get one despite telling me yesterday they could.  :doh:  Kinda irritated. So now I have a couple feelers out to some places. Not holding my breath.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users