8 replies to this topic

#1 Keyheineken

Keyheineken

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:23 PM

Ok sound is ongoing and is a clicking sound on the driver side front wheel area ONLY! It only makes the clicking sound when I am turning right ... doesnt do it when turning left ...

The sound goes away if I take off the wheel and put it back on and re torque the lugs ... totally gone !

But then a week or two goes by and it comes back again ...

Take the wheel off again .. put it right back on and re torque and boom gone again ... for a couple weeks ...

Tech at Nissan said this is normal like wtf? My 100k dollar car makes an incurable clicking sound ??

This isnt like a normal clunk or bang that the GTR makes ...

Oh yea and wheels are stock with original run flats ...

Anybody have this issue and figure out how to stop it ??

???????

#2 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8710 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 11:11 PM

Sure it’s just not the floating rotors ? If that’s the noise tech is correct. When you take the rims off and req re-torque, check the mating surface of the wheel to the hub. Wire brush off the dirt, rust, etc. Years past and that solved the clicking if it’s not just the floating rotors.
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#3 Keyheineken

Keyheineken

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:53 AM

Ya I hear ya ... if its the rotors it would be sound on both sides yea ? I only get it on drivers side when turning right ... never on passenger side ... or completely silent when turning left regardless of driver or passenger ...

And when I take wheel off and put it back on ...sound goes away ..

Would the compression of the wheel to the hub after re install adds affect the rotor ?

The tech was saying the same thing about hitting it with the wire brush on the mating surface of wheel to hub but he also said the sound is going to come back and then I need to rinse and repeat ...

I was looking for a more permanent solution so I dont become a part time wheel/ tire removal technician 🤣🤣

#4 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8710 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

Nope can be one side or both or neither. It is hit or miss. Depends on the day lol. They click on my other cars too intermittently. Tq them down to spec - stock lugs ? Iâd bet hitting them with a wire brush will resolve the issue. Stock rims ? I do not recall having this issue with Advan and Volk Te37 SL or Sagas. Could be a stock rim issue ? Obviously check the hardware for the calipers and make sure boots are not torn.

Edited by droptopp, 01 January 2021 - 04:52 PM.

TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#5 bigc

bigc

choose your destructor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:53 PM

Scroll down to annoying sound #4:

http://gtrtech.blogs...m/p/brakes.html

There are a few threads on here and heritage about the annoying clicking sound while turning.

FWIW, if it were the hardware on the floating rotors, it would / should be more noticeable when the rotors are cold, then go away as they heat up.

2017 Nissan GT-R, FBO+E85, Pearl White on Rakuda

2013 Infiniti G37 IPL Convertible, Moonlight White Pearl, "Lucy Jr." - sold

2005 Infiniti G35TT Coupe, Ivory Pearl, "Lucy" - sold

#6 Keyheineken

Keyheineken

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:02 AM

Thanks drop ... will check it out but I am 99% sure boots are good car only has 9k miles on it and i peeked at them when doing mid pipe / exhaust install while under the car a couple weeks ago ...

I am about to install my advans when they arrive in a couple weeks maybe I will wait until then also to see if it remedies the issue 👍🏻

#7 Keyheineken

Keyheineken

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:03 AM

Ill check that link out big C thanks ... and ya it makes the sound cold or hot doesnt make a difference whether first thing when I take the car out or if I drive a couple hours then and warm it up ...

Same sound

#8 Keyheineken

Keyheineken

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:18 AM

I think sound number 4 is EXACTLY whats happening makes complete sense ...

Thanks big C ..

Im also guilty of washing the car 3-4 times a month .. and it sits all week long as I commute to work in my sweet ass Prius ...so I only drive the GTR on the weekends ...
So rust build up is guaranteed ...

Seeing as how these steps involve removal of most brake components ... i may even wait until my first rotor / pad upgrade and do it then 👍🏻👍🏻 I can tolerate the clicks until then ... I hope 😂😂

#9 bigc

bigc

choose your destructor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:32 PM

^ Yes, its a pain to do if you don't have a place to tool on your car for a few hours.  Not particularly hard, but its the type of job that'll make you want to take a few beer breaks.

I didn't hear the clicking all the time...it seemed to come and go with the temperature.  YMMV.

2017 Nissan GT-R, FBO+E85, Pearl White on Rakuda

2013 Infiniti G37 IPL Convertible, Moonlight White Pearl, "Lucy Jr." - sold

2005 Infiniti G35TT Coupe, Ivory Pearl, "Lucy" - sold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users