• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 12:54 AM

*HELP! Sorry for the long post!
2009 cba
65000 miles
All service records 100% bone stock

In a bit of a situation and would like some advice. Sorry if the post is a bit long. Took my 2009 GTR Monday to get all the windows tinted including the windshield. Came back not even 2 hours later to pick up my car. After paying and letting the owner post a picture of my car on his website I walk out to the back by myself to get in. I push the start button and the car barely wanted to turn on... I thought wow thats pretty strange but thought nothing of it until my car literally started freaking out. My dash lights came on and made the cluster look like a Christmas tree! The most notable were the key light and check engine light stating engine management failure. I freaked went inside and asked if anyone had driven it other than moving it which I know they didnt because I took a picture of the odo before I left. I tried turning the car off and I couldnt even do that. Fast forward, managed to get it home as it drove perfectly it was just doing whatever it wanted electronic wise such as no blinks, cluster restarting, etc. Also managed to finally turn it of at home but the parking lights stayed on and it even TURNED ON by just putting my foot on the brake. Nissan has had it for going on 4 days and they replaced the BCM which they were 100% sure is what it was. Just got called and said they need it another week. What should I do? Anyone have incite or experienced similar problems? My car was 100% fine before leaving it at the tint shop and if I had to describe the car it would be possessed. Please let me know your thoughts!
*Currently no lights on the dash anymore its just doing what it wants to do. And either will start or it wont.

2/15/21 Car is still at Nissan with the dash out. Techs are tracing each wire and still cant seem to find the problem. BCM was NOT the culprit.

Edited by Brandon4607, 16 February 2021 - 12:57 AM.

#2 tjlazer

tjlazer

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3576 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:19 PM

Bad car battery?  It will act like this when low.

Posted Image
2010 Nissan GT-R Pearl White Premium
2009 Nissan 370Z Nismo Monterey Blue

#3 Mickwitchy

Mickwitchy

Newschool Datto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:44 PM

That is sounding like a very expensive amount of labour. I really hope it's not just the battery.......

I've definitely had very low batteries from tinters listening to the radio in the car as they do the work.

Otherwise, this is a huge coincidence that something major failed in that small window.

2015 Premium
HKS GT1000 turbo kit
Greddy crossflow intercooler/BOVs
Fore Innovations triple pump setup (Visconti hardwire kit)

Visconti fuel pressure monitoring
Speedflow post filter
VRSF 3" intakes
ID1700s
Willall Ti resonated midpipe
Torque solutions BMCS
Radium triple catch cans
Shep 1K w/ Drag Pack
Kaps AWD controller
ECUTEK SD tune w/ 4bar Map sensor w/ Visconti flex fuel
DIY so far - Apart from tune...

#4 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 03:26 PM

Bad car battery?  It will act like this when low.

Directly related to this is if your battery (like mine) is an Optima Yellow top, (or similar) it has slightly tapered battery posts, and the stock cable terminal clamps will loosen up and slip around for a poor contact, UNLESS you add a battery post SHIM.  You could also change your stock cable terminals, but that would be more complicated. 

Similar intermittent problems can show up...

Alexd

Attached Thumbnails

• tn_DSCN6561.JPG

Edited by alexdavis, 16 February 2021 - 03:33 PM.

bOeuB0b.jpg

2012 Gun-Metal GT-R Alpha 6 ([email protected]) originally tuned by Chris Black

Cobb, AAM mid-pipe, Gotboost 3", ID1000, FF manifold, 100 octane, stock DPs

Front camera, Whistler Remote, Reverse Beep eliminator, Running lights with headlights

Upgraded to Alpha 9 with MPSS tires: 9.7/148 all day

Fun to daily drive, thanks to AMS's Jacob Compton

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12, cannot race anymore at NHRA strips

#5 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9340 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 03:32 PM

The first thing the Nissan dealer did was not check the battery ? It’s almost the first thing needed to be done in these cars. Is it possible the start/stop button has some residue or water dripped on it from doing the windshield. I had a car that was soaked by an inexperienced tinted and shorted the window switch.
Cicio Performance billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, Zenith R turbos, Cicio wet sump oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid, down pipe, race FMIC, STM titanium axle back, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears, DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : more AMS motors than anyone I know - Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#6 Brandon4607

Brandon4607

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:38 PM

Thank you all for the reply. On day 2 I suggested that it was the battery from insight that I received on a Facebook post with my story. About 3-4 people all came to the conclusion: battery. Nissan has assured me that it was not the cause and that they charged mine, and even used a spare they had and experienced the same symptoms.

As for the other possibility of something happening within the time period of me dropping it off... the car was parked in the back and was off. It was when I turned the car on to leave is when my car went haywire so that right there tells me something that they did either fried or made my car malfunction the way that it was. If I dropped the car off with this issue there would have been no way for them to turn the car off as that was what I was experiencing and when you finally get it to turn off, the lights stay on.

2/16/21 received a text from Nissan today that they ordered a new I-key computer/antenna. Will post on the results tomorrow so fingers crossed

#7 Brandon4607

Brandon4607

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:41 PM

This is the exact text I received from Nissan today:

Good Afternoon Mr.Lee ,
I wanted to inform you we ordered a I -key Computer/antenna and we are also going to try a new key .We can sit in car and press down brake and touch power window switch and starts. We can press brake pedal and touch remote lock and it starts. when water hit electrical connectors , possibly shorted out i key ecm/antenna but giving no codes , but no signs of water intrusion to ecm. Parts is coming from Massachusetts and we had to overnight and i will receive part , fed ex tomorrow by three o clock . I will talk to you tomorrow when we receive part , thank you Brandon

#8 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9340 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 10:56 PM

Strange - how did water touch this part ? Any history in the car? Any chance it’s a flood car in past ? Lots of floods over the years. What’s the dealer cost for the ECU ? Can you give it back lol.
Cicio Performance billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, Zenith R turbos, Cicio wet sump oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid, down pipe, race FMIC, STM titanium axle back, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears, DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : more AMS motors than anyone I know - Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#9 Brandon4607

Brandon4607

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 12:13 AM

CARFAX is clean as a whistle with the only states being CA and Az. Im assuming the tint shop used way too much water/solution tinting the windshield. Only my speculation considering they were done tinting my whole car in less than 3 hours. Ill be posting the update tomorrow to see if this is the part that got wet? Labor gonna be crazy considering its on the 3rd week

#10 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9340 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:18 AM

Don’t be afraid to ask the dealer to “good faith” some of the labor and BCM as that clearly wasn’t the issue. You shouldn’t have to pay for their “guess, plug and play strategy”

#11 Bolder GT-R

Bolder GT-R

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 04:49 PM

Whats the tint shop if you dont mind sharing? Curious to see previous reviews

#12 Brandon4607

Brandon4607

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 08:55 PM

Professional Window Tinting- Oxnard, CA has great reviews! 4.7 average and over 100 reviews.

#13 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9340 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 10:17 PM

Any update ? Did you check a short in the start button too ?

#14 Brandon4607

Brandon4607

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:14 AM

As of now no update... Nissan didnt get the I-key parts until late today so they are going to try first thing in the morning. Im starting to question these certified Gtr mechanics with their try and guess method. Ive made it clear to Nissan that I am not paying for any part that it doesnt need.

#15 Brandon4607

Brandon4607

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:13 AM

They just informed this morning that the part is on back order now and that theres a delay because of the deep freeze in the Midwest so they never actually got it yesterday. Just my luck! They also reassembled the dash so if this part isnt it than I have no idea what else they would try. I dont even think they know what they are gonna do if this doesnt fix it.Will update

#16 Motownflip

Motownflip

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:38 PM

What an ordeal.

#17 Gdzilla_

Gdzilla_

Marketplace Moderator

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5290 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:14 PM

Wow, no kidding.

How you making out Brandon?

Moved to the Tech forums

Edited by Gdzilla_, 23 February 2021 - 09:15 PM.

Current Stable:
2009 R35 Premium Edition 'GDZILLA' / Ivory Pearl / Ebony / brought home Sept. 8th 2008 / weekend warrior
2006 Solstice 'EMILEY' / Olympic White / Ebony on Suede / for those 'Top Down' summer days
2014 GMC All Terrain Sierra 4x4 'C2SKYE' / Summit White / Ebony Faux Carbon Fiber / trailer hauler
1999 Vulcan Nomad 'TAZ' / Pearl Boulogne / Candy Arsenate Green / quick weekend get-a-ways
2008 Vulcan Classic LT 'PEARL' / Crystal Pearl White / Metallic Titanium / quick weekend get-a-ways for the wife
2019 Tucson Ultimate AWD 'POLRCUB' / Winter White / Ebony on Beige / Wife's daily driver
'EMILEYII' / Solstice battery powered ride on car / White / daily driver for my daughter
'GDZILLAII' / R35 GTR battery powered ride on car / White / weekend warrior for my daughter
1999 R34 Gtt Skyline / White / Ebony / Sold

#18 Brandon4607

Brandon4607

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:26 AM

*Update 23Feb21

Have been in contact with Nissan, Nissan hq, Usaa, and tint shop owner. Very frustrating talking to so many parties! Just a quick little summary:

Nissan believes it is the i-key module. If that isnt the sole culprit than they will also be replacing the IPDM controller. Both of these parts are 600$+ which brings the bill to a total of $6,340.95 if it needs both. Tint owner is aware of everything but seems hesitant on bill. Usaa sent out field inspector and came to the conclusion it was faulty workmanship from tint shop on the estimate of record. I wish I could send you guys all these pictures of conversations and estimates Ive been having! This has been such a nightmare. Nissan will be receiving the parts this Thursday. Will update yall in a few days. Fingers crossed.

#19 Gdzilla_

Gdzilla_

Marketplace Moderator

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5290 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:07 PM

Geezez murphy!!

Current Stable:
2009 R35 Premium Edition 'GDZILLA' / Ivory Pearl / Ebony / brought home Sept. 8th 2008 / weekend warrior
2006 Solstice 'EMILEY' / Olympic White / Ebony on Suede / for those 'Top Down' summer days
2014 GMC All Terrain Sierra 4x4 'C2SKYE' / Summit White / Ebony Faux Carbon Fiber / trailer hauler
1999 Vulcan Nomad 'TAZ' / Pearl Boulogne / Candy Arsenate Green / quick weekend get-a-ways
2008 Vulcan Classic LT 'PEARL' / Crystal Pearl White / Metallic Titanium / quick weekend get-a-ways for the wife
2019 Tucson Ultimate AWD 'POLRCUB' / Winter White / Ebony on Beige / Wife's daily driver
'EMILEYII' / Solstice battery powered ride on car / White / daily driver for my daughter
'GDZILLAII' / R35 GTR battery powered ride on car / White / weekend warrior for my daughter
1999 R34 Gtt Skyline / White / Ebony / Sold

#20 Slimshady201

Slimshady201

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1041 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:16 AM

^^^  Yikes, what he said  :nervous:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users