#1 DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:50 PM

Hi All,

Proud owner of my very first ever GT-R...2014 Black Edition, super silver.  22450 kilometers on the clock, basically just broken in for me :-)

Daily driver, including all winter (yes, I have put winter tires / rims on it since the picture :-)...I live and work very close to Mosport, and I have tracked there a lot in my 2001 Mustang Cobra (in the process of receiving a Hellion twin turbo system), and also in Chump Car racing.  My GT-R has never been on a track, and it is (I am?  we are?) very much looking forward to some blistering laps!!

I have read a lot of posts on this site so far, and very much appreciate all the information that is so freely given by its members.

Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014BE-SuperSilver.jpg

2014 Black Edition Super Silver - bone stock  -  22400 kms Feb 16 2021

#2 crepr12

crepr12

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:22 PM

Enjoy The Beast...

50th Bayside Blue (No Stripes)

#3 WideRide

WideRide

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 06:08 PM

I'm dead south across Lake Ontario in Buffalo. Welcome to the club. The car looks sharp. Can't go wrong with super silver. Enjoy it.

#4 DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:36 PM

Thanks a lot all!

Loving it so far...even puttin along at 105 km/hr is great...love the sound, and love the smooth power rush above 3000

It's kinda like a good whiskey...sipping it is great, and you can also tip into it and it gets dangerous fast :-)

One thing I'm curious about...there are 2 letters stuck on the bottom of the side view mirrors, both sides...says "GL" (see pic,hope it's big enough, still figuring this stuff out20210218_091223.jpg )...any idea what those are about?

#5 Gdzilla_

Gdzilla_

Marketplace Moderator

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5372 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:38 PM

I have those as well... perhaps they are on all GTR’s.

Happy Motoring...

Current Stable:
2009 R35 Premium Edition 'GDZILLA' / Ivory Pearl / Ebony / brought home Sept. 8th 2008 / weekend warrior
2006 Solstice 'EMILEY' / Olympic White / Ebony on Suede / for those 'Top Down' summer days
2014 GMC All Terrain Sierra 4x4 'C2SKYE' / Summit White / Ebony Faux Carbon Fiber / trailer hauler
1999 Vulcan Nomad 'TAZ' / Pearl Boulogne / Candy Arsenate Green / quick weekend get-a-ways
2008 Vulcan Classic LT 'PEARL' / Crystal Pearl White / Metallic Titanium / quick weekend get-a-ways for the wife
2019 Tucson Ultimate AWD 'POLRCUB' / Winter White / Ebony on Beige / Wife's daily driver
'EMILEYII' / Solstice battery powered ride on car / White / daily driver for my daughter
'GDZILLAII' / R35 GTR battery powered ride on car / White / weekend warrior for my daughter
1999 R34 Gtt Skyline / White / Ebony / Sold

#6 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9384 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:39 PM

It’s got to be the color code for the mirror. Here’s a GQ (gun metal) GE is red. https://www.primecut...irror-oem-used/ Also looks like under the sticker is a recessed mounting screw. ec0ef69af439552bf73d7da8252b7955.jpg
Cicio Performance billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, Zenith R turbos, Cicio wet sump oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid, down pipe, race FMIC, STM titanium axle back, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears, DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : more AMS motors than anyone I know - Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#7 DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:38 PM

Thanks droptopp, mystery solved!  Weird way for Nissan to hide a screw, especially on an outside body surface.  A sticker with the paint code.  ok....

Been driving my GT-R almost daily for a couple weeks now.  A couple of days ago I got the chance to drive on snowy roads for the first time...what a blast!!  AWD is the cat's meow!

So anyway, the first owner of the car did not winter drive it.  Here is what I did, since taking ownership of the car a few weeks ago:

1)  after purchasing, I had it flatbed towed to my shop (I own a small CNC machine shop).  Right beside me is a oil rustproofer guy, who is a friend of mine.  I put the car on his hoist, and took off all the underbody panels.  He then oil sprayed the shit out of it, and then I put all the panels back with new 316 stainless bolts.

20210203_134017.jpg

20210203_133451.jpg

Before oil spray

20210203_162248.jpg

After oil spray

20210203_162443.jpg

New 316 stainless bolts and washers

2)  I made a front license plate holder.  The previous owner had his plate velcro'd to the front of the car, and I didn't think that was going to fly when I was, erm, exceeding the speed limit, and tracking the car etc.  My front license plate holder uses the OEM threaded hole for the tow hook....I made it a bit too bulky, it's a bit "butch', but it's all 316 stainless / 6061 aluminum, so it will do for now until I can spend a bit more time on it in the summer.

20210208_194411.jpg

License plate holder

3)  I bought front and rear Tux-Mats for the floors...they cover more than the Weatherguard mats and were cheaper.  They fit REAL nice, I'm very happy with them.  It remains to be seen how well they last.  I did put a Weatherguard mat in the trunk, as Tux-Mats don't make one for the trunk, as far as I could tell.

20210207_125517.jpg

Tux-Mats

4)  I bought 19" x 9.5" (or 8.5"? can't remember, the paperwork is at my shop) flow-formed OPE rims, and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 winter tires (285/40 R19's)...that way the outside diameter of the tires is approx the same as stock, and because they're all the same size rims AND tires, I can easily rotate them every winter.  The rears are recessed in the wheel wells a bit, but I can live with that...I bought 20mm spacers for the rear wheels, but haven't bothered to install them yet, I may do that still or I may wait until next winter to use them.

20210219_175443.jpg

20210219_175508.jpg

And now...I am DRIVING THE SNOT OUTTA IT :-)

#8 DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:53 PM

Hi all...

Apologies, screwed up on my rim and tire sizes in my earlier post...

Rims are 19" x 9.0" Spyders, tires are 255/45 R19's (all 4 of them)

DTSOI

#9 crepr12

crepr12

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:49 AM

Are you running the N-Spec PA4 (thats what I'm using on older stock GT-R wheels)...If so how is the traction in heavy snow?...I taken my girl out in light fluff but nothing heavy yet. 

#10 GT-R_NOVA

GT-R_NOVA

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2431 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:01 PM

Congrats! Fellow Canadian here as well. I drove my first GT-R for 6 years all year around, glad to see you had it sprayed as eventually the steel engine/transmission cradles will get rusty. Also keep an eye on the thin steel brackets that hold on the rear diffuser, they rust very easily and I had to replace mine twice over the years! Have fun as I agree it is a beast in the snow.

My new one does not see the snow/salt.....I am one of those now lol
Current:2017 Black GT-R. GO: Cobb catted midpipe....to be continued lolPrevious:2010 SS GT-R GO: Go Fast Bits BOV's, 3" GotBoost intakes with green filters, APR cast catless downpipes, HKS resonated midpipe, T1R catback, ANSU 1100cc fuel injectors, DW165C fuel pumps, Ecutek tuned by Ben Linney GTC, Stop Tech stainless steel brake lines, DBA 5000 slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads<br /><br />SHOW: BE shift knob, Rexpeed matte carbon fender emblem covers, Rexpeed matte carbon stereo surround, JDM clear front markers, LED conversion</p>

#11 DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:46 PM

Are you running the N-Spec PA4 (thats what I'm using on older stock GT-R wheels)...If so how is the traction in heavy snow?...I taken my girl out in light fluff but nothing heavy yet. 

Hey crepr12...not sure if they're N-Spec, couldn't see anything like that on the sidewall.  Took some pics...

20210222_161626.jpg

20210222_161636.jpg

20210222_161646.jpg

20210222_161702.jpg

20210222_161714.jpg

I haven't had any "heavy" snow to go through yet.  If there is enough snow to start plowing it with the front end of the GT-R, I'll use my truck instead (unless I get caught out in it...if that happens, I'll update you LOL).  I did drive it in pretty slushy and snow covered roads the other day, and this morning too...on the 401 (110 or 120 km/hr), it felt solid as a rock, even crossing into the other lanes, over the mounds of slush and snow that builds up between lanes.  And on snow covered city streets, it's just awesome...watch the gauge zoom into "full AWD" (I guess that's 50% to the front wheels) and off you go.  So, so far I really like the tires.

DTSOI

#12 DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:58 PM

Congrats! Fellow Canadian here as well. I drove my first GT-R for 6 years all year around, glad to see you had it sprayed as eventually the steel engine/transmission cradles will get rusty. Also keep an eye on the thin steel brackets that hold on the rear diffuser, they rust very easily and I had to replace mine twice over the years! Have fun as I agree it is a beast in the snow.

My new one does not see the snow/salt.....I am one of those now lol

Yeah, I don't like rust :-) ....I have all my vehicles sprayed as soon as I buy them, and then yearly after that.  Even my '01 Cobra, which I bought new and has never seen snow yet (I'm also "one of those"...my Cobra was my first baby, it's my favorite car of all time, it has never let me down, and it gets SEVERELY beaten :-), gets oil sprayed every year.  It gets messy when working on it, but it does not have a single tiny spot of rust on it.

This GT-R I just bought really looks like new, very low kilometers...pristine and VERY well taken care of by the previous owner...but still, all the little bolts that hold the undertrays were rusted already.  Doesn't really take salt to rust un-treated steel....other than those, it all looked ok (no rust yet).  I hose it down really well once a week, and I am getting a detail / correction and full body / wing / mirror etc clear wrap in the next few weeks too.

Thanks for the tip about the cradles and the little diffuser brackets, I'll make it a point to keep an eye on those whenever I have the undertrays off.

DTSOI

#13 crepr12

crepr12

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:26 PM

Hey crepr12...not sure if they're N-Spec, couldn't see anything like that on the sidewall.  Took some pics...

attachicon.gif20210222_161626.jpg

attachicon.gif20210222_161636.jpg

attachicon.gif20210222_161646.jpg

attachicon.gif20210222_161702.jpg

attachicon.gif20210222_161714.jpg

I haven't had any "heavy" snow to go through yet.  If there is enough snow to start plowing it with the front end of the GT-R, I'll use my truck instead (unless I get caught out in it...if that happens, I'll update you LOL).  I did drive it in pretty slushy and snow covered roads the other day, and this morning too...on the 401 (110 or 120 km/hr), it felt solid as a rock, even crossing into the other lanes, over the mounds of slush and snow that builds up between lanes.  And on snow covered city streets, it's just awesome...watch the gauge zoom into "full AWD" (I guess that's 50% to the front wheels) and off you go.  So, so far I really like the tires.

DTSOI

Pics dont lie...those are the same winter tires I have..I understand not wanting to use the GT-R as a plow...

#14 DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:43 PM

Hi all,

Quick update...got the whole car XPEL clear wrapped over the Easter long weekend...windows tinted too.  The tint looks real nice with the silver paint.

This weekend the winter tires / wheels will come off, and the stock rims / runflats back on.  I plan on buying another set of rims for lapping day tires (Toyo R888's or something...20's?  19's?  18's? ...), and putting "cheap" tires on the factory rims, for my daily driving, once the runflats are done and worn.

Also next on the agenda is a midpipe, Ecutek, and an etune.  Probably gonna go with Cicio, I've read good things about them...also I want to stick with somebody long-term, do the mods in 6-month or 1-year chunks, and I want all the parts to work with each other (ie, the midpipe I buy now will complement the downpipes I buy in 6 months, etc).

So far, loving the ride.  Just passed 25000 kms.  Car runs real nice, lots of power.  Lots of 

Really really looking forward to a Mosport track day, that's gonna happen when spring rains are done...I know that track pretty well (done a few Chumpcar races there, and quite a few lapping days), but never with a car like the GT-R.  I plan on driving the snot outta it, scaring the shit outta myself, and then doing it again :lol:

getting started on hood.jpg

all done - outside.jpg

all done and ready to go!!

#15 dr1ven

dr1ven

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 04:12 PM

Congrats - hit up MasterTuned for your modding needs - they are the best in Canada.

#16 DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:48 PM

Congrats - hit up MasterTuned for your modding needs - they are the best in Canada.

Thanks dr1ven...I'll have to look them up.  I think for now I will just be doing a y-pipe, Ecutek, and e-tune.  That should keep me satisfied for a month or two :-)

DTSOI

#17 sly tuna

sly tuna

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:45 AM

You waste no time! Nice work, and thanks for the floor mat idea  :bounce:

#18 zoobear88

zoobear88

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for posting the tux mats! Was trying to find some actual fitment pictures online. 

#19 sellin04

sellin04

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 05:11 AM

Congrats!

#20 DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

DriveTheSnotOuttaIt

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 05:15 PM

You waste no time! Nice work, and thanks for the floor mat idea  :bounce:

Thanks for posting the tux mats! Was trying to find some actual fitment pictures online. 

So far the Tux-Mats have been awesome.  Hasn't been that long yet, but there was some winter slush in there, and now some rainy muddy weather (there is a big truck gravel yard just down the road from my work, and the big trucks pulling out of that yard during the day, especially when it's wet, make the road a gooey mud-covered hell-stretch that I must unfortunately travel, every day :sad: )....anyway, the Tux-Mats have been solid so far.  I got the front and the rear, and there is only a tiny bit of carpet not covered, between the seat and the sill, about 4 or 5 square inches.  I wish they had covered everything, but still it's the best coverage I could find.

One thing I didn't like, with the mat on the driver's side, there's a hole in it...in the middle, near the driver's seat.  You're supposed to drive this nail into the carpet, which for me was a hard no, and then lock it into the mat with this kind of rubber plug.  This is so that the mat doesn't slide forward and interfere with the brakes or gas pedal.  However, the mat fits so good, and the sides are so high, that there is no chance of it moving.  Plus, there are a bunch of little clips that lock the mat around the edges, into the plastic of the car.  So I just siliconed the rubber plug in to the hole (no pin) and the mat is leak-proof.  Of course, try this at your own risk, I make no claim that this not a stupid thing to do hahahaha.

DTSOI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users