27 replies to this topic

#21 Gdzilla_

Gdzilla_

Marketplace Moderator

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5431 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 06:55 PM

I wonder, if McLaren can put this VRH engine in their production cars, why can't Nissan put it in their R36?

There needs to be a R36 first lol  :shiftdrive:

Edited by Gdzilla_, 30 May 2021 - 06:56 PM.

Current Stable:
2009 R35 Premium Edition 'GDZILLA' / Ivory Pearl / Ebony / brought home Sept. 8th 2008 / weekend warrior
2006 Solstice 'EMILEY' / Olympic White / Ebony on Suede / for those 'Top Down' summer days
2014 GMC All Terrain Sierra 4x4 'C2SKYE' / Summit White / Ebony Faux Carbon Fiber / trailer hauler
1999 Vulcan Nomad 'TAZ' / Pearl Boulogne / Candy Arsenate Green / quick weekend get-a-ways
2008 Vulcan Classic LT 'PEARL' / Crystal Pearl White / Metallic Titanium / quick weekend get-a-ways for the wife
2019 Tucson Ultimate AWD 'POLRCUB' / Winter White / Ebony on Beige / Wife's daily driver
'EMILEYII' / Solstice battery powered ride on car / White / daily driver for my daughter
'GDZILLAII' / R35 GTR battery powered ride on car / White / weekend warrior for my daughter
1999 R34 Gtt Skyline / White / Ebony / Sold

#22 Geno88

Geno88

Nismo Owners Car Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2230 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:08 AM

bump on this, wanna see how the OP is doing with the 720.

2018 Porsche Turbo S
2017 Infiniti Q50S

1969 Camaro RS/SS

2016 GTR Nismo <sold>

2018 Mclaren 720S <sold>

#23 The Brigand

The Brigand

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 04:10 PM

All good so far!

I've had a steering column error that went away on it's own and a headlight levelling error that also went away on it's own.

I've done my first upgrade - the car is now on Michelin Cup 2s on the front and Cup 2 Rs on the rear.

I enjoy every second of driving it - it's amazing. I've probably done about 1000 miles and did a stint on the Nürburgring GP in it. I'm not as fast as I was in my GT-R yet, but I'm getting there.

I'd say about 50% of 720S owners have owned a GT-R in the past - and about half of them still own a GT-R.

Everyone who owns a GT-R should go for a test drive in one.

There are doors that they're afraid to go in, and they don't want us to go in there either, because if we go in we might learn something that they don't know. And that makes us a little out of their control.

#24 The Brigand

The Brigand

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 04:23 PM

Does it have a Nissan engine like the Senna does? If so, you're still driving a Nissan in a way.

McLaren basically only have one engine - originally 3.8l in the MP4-12C and as a 4.0 in the 720S and others.

It was originally designed by Tom Walkinshaw Racing for use in Indycar - they sold the designs to McLaren and it was developed for road use with Ricardo who make the engines.

It's based on a Nissan V8 block, so yes it's sort of Nissan. The turbos are from Mitsubishi, so some Evo DNA in there too.

Here's an interesting article:

https://jalopnik.com...aren-1793155467

It's a great engine so far - I hope it continues to be for a long time.

There are doors that they're afraid to go in, and they don't want us to go in there either, because if we go in we might learn something that they don't know. And that makes us a little out of their control.

#25 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8891 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:26 AM

McLaren basically only have one engine - originally 3.8l in the MP4-12C and as a 4.0 in the 720S and others.

It was originally designed by Tom Walkinshaw Racing for use in Indycar - they sold the designs to McLaren and it was developed for road use with Ricardo who make the engines.

It's based on a Nissan V8 block, so yes it's sort of Nissan. The turbos are from Mitsubishi, so some Evo DNA in there too.

Here's an interesting article:

https://jalopnik.com...aren-1793155467

It's a great engine so far - I hope it continues to be for a long time.

I will tell the wife i'm just getting another Nissan!!! :shiftdrive:

Redemption 2.0 Tuned by Ben Linney = Smooth as Fawk!!
Switzer 90mmSS Exhaust = Loud as Fawk!!

#26 archan

archan

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:45 PM

I will tell the wife i'm just getting another Nissan!!! :shiftdrive:

LoL!
I'm trying to slide one under the radar as well. Unfortunately I'm in dire space shortage. Got myself an Aprilia bike meanwhile. Still on the fence for a 720s or R8 V10 performance.

To the OP: happy to hear you enjoy the car!

#27 Geno88

Geno88

Nismo Owners Car Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2230 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:07 AM

good to hear!

2018 Porsche Turbo S
2017 Infiniti Q50S

1969 Camaro RS/SS

2016 GTR Nismo <sold>

2018 Mclaren 720S <sold>

#28 The Brigand

The Brigand

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 04:44 AM

So far there's not even a split second where I think to myself 'I wonder what it would be like if I'd have bought XYZ instead'.

Ask McLaren if you can go for a test drive in one - you will be blown away, I'm sure.

Once the tires are warm, put the car into 'Track/Track' and things just go mental. It's almost like the car has a mind of it's own.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users