6 replies to this topic

#1 shadeofnardogray

shadeofnardogray

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 11:37 AM

My car is currently sporting the VWS-3 wheels pictured here - https://vossenwheels.com/wheel/vws-3/ (that actually  is my car in that picture, before my time though, so pretty sure those are the wheels still on it).

They're pretty and all, but heavy, and i've been doing things that warrant less rotational mass - https://pasteboard.co/JVE4e4N.png.

The car's going on CCBs shortly, hopefully the official nismo ones, but those wheels ain't getting any lighter.

She puts down north of 1k lbft from 3700-8k, and the intended uses are the sort of funhouse stuff in the last picture, actual track driving, and the occasional street outing in New England.

Are there any carbon options which can take that sort of abuse - both the power/stress and occasional pothole (305/325 so they have to be big holes, but they do exist around here)?

Does anyone here run carbon wheels on these built cars?

Edited by shadeofnardogray, 03 April 2021 - 11:38 AM.

2019 Audi TTRS - IE intake, APR elbow, APR FMIC (still under warranty) -  loving it as my DD
2013 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - 2020 block & crank, Go Auto/FastForward long block setup for higher compression, AMS top-end (ferrea valvetrain, AMS cams & intake), 12 injector, BL1050, braced shep1k+ riding atop ohlins coilovers. Professionally integrated LW kit made to look "factory" by APAC in MD.

2008 VW R32 - Full exhaust, otherwise stock, restored to original glory summer/fall of 2019, now wife's DD
1991 Toyota MR2 - Gen3 JDM engine, built bottom end, head, cams, t3/t4, on a PowerFC ECU with methanol assist. Caged, braced, on EDFC-A suspension
1991 Nissan 300ZX TT - (permanent?) project status.

#2 gtrbillet

gtrbillet

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:15 AM

Where in New England are you?  I can make you lots of lightweight parts if you'd like.  I can also help with the CCB kit if you need.  My shop is in Southern NH.

Gregg 2013 gtr premium

#3 shadeofnardogray

shadeofnardogray

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:03 PM

Thank you for the offer, though unless your shop is called Go Auto, i'll have to pass since they handle everything mechanical for my little monstrosity. All goes well, my brakes will be for sale or stored somewhere safely as hopefully instead of an adapted set i'll have the real-deal Nismo CCBs in there.

My question stands though, what's the story with wide carbon wheel options for high power applications? The Agera makes a fair deal more than my little old cam-driven gas (well, booze) guzzler, and that rides on carbons....

Anyone know any of the "i have an all carbon GTR" people? They might have been insane enough to do the early testing :)

Edited by shadeofnardogray, 07 April 2021 - 05:04 PM.

2019 Audi TTRS - IE intake, APR elbow, APR FMIC (still under warranty) -  loving it as my DD
2013 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - 2020 block & crank, Go Auto/FastForward long block setup for higher compression, AMS top-end (ferrea valvetrain, AMS cams & intake), 12 injector, BL1050, braced shep1k+ riding atop ohlins coilovers. Professionally integrated LW kit made to look "factory" by APAC in MD.

2008 VW R32 - Full exhaust, otherwise stock, restored to original glory summer/fall of 2019, now wife's DD
1991 Toyota MR2 - Gen3 JDM engine, built bottom end, head, cams, t3/t4, on a PowerFC ECU with methanol assist. Caged, braced, on EDFC-A suspension

#4 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9307 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:01 PM

Guess it all comes down to the coin you want to drop in a carbon wheel that will crack if you have pot holes like we do in the north east. Ran them on multiple bikes and always ended up with cracks. Veyrons like Ageras have custom tires and rims and I’m guessing you don’t want to put more into a set of rims than the entire car by the time you get done designing them. May find fitting a Porsche or Mustang rim may be your best bang for the buck. Have seen some complaints from the Ford guys though road racing. A center lock would be pretty sick though. How much weight is saved from a super light rim option anyways? IIRC Mustang carbons are about 18lbs or about the same as a handful of Volk light weight options ?
Cicio Performance billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, Zenith R turbos, Cicio wet sump oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid, down pipe, race FMIC, STM titanium axle back, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears, DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : more AMS motors than anyone I know - Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#5 gtrbillet

gtrbillet

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:00 AM

Interesting read:

https://www.automobi...pinning-carbon/

Gregg 2013 gtr premium

#6 shadeofnardogray

shadeofnardogray

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for the article. I'd found the carbon wheel company in question and reached out, but they _only_ do OEM now unfortunately. Might be worth looking into adapting stang or Porsche wheels though, thank you.

#7 gtrbillet

gtrbillet

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:49 PM

If you or your shop need any help with adapters. I have that machining capability. Just FYI in case you need anything. Luv the center lock stuff etc.
Gregg 2013 gtr premium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users