Photo
- - - - -

Will Eibach Sway Bars make a big difference?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gtrstve

gtrstve

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 02:05 AM

I'm planning to buy Eibach sway bars because I want to have sharper handling FEEL. 

will they really make a big difference? 

I'am on stock suspension/ stock camber

wheels are

20x10, 20x12

285/345 Ps4s

I rarely go to track, but I always do spirited driving/ mountain roads 

and for those who are using Eibach Sway bars, 

do you guys use the stiffest setting to have the sharpest handling feel? 

Edited by gtrstve, 19 April 2021 - 02:08 AM.

2019 GTR Premium FBO

#2 Maxikeem

Maxikeem

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:03 AM

Swaybars will help, I have the stillens ones.
Mpss is too soft compared to the oem rubber which gives a sharper handling due to runflats and stiffer sidewalls
Even with swaybars I can still feel the car moving around.
Also stock suspension is pretty soft starting from 2015 upwards.
Best is to get stiffer sidewall tires like R888R or change out rubber bushings for superpro ones. Or change the suspension.
I'm Currently in the process of replacing the oem rubber bushings.

#3 AutoXGTR

AutoXGTR

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:49 PM

How much understeer and oversteer do you get now? If not either then swaybars aren't the first thing to consider.

If you get a lot of understeer then you need to consider corner entry speed, you may be entering turns too fast for the tightness of the corner. If you get a lot of oversteer then you may have not enough rear tire grip or have too much weight transfer forward.

Swaybars can reduce either understeer (stiffen the rear bar relative to the front) or oversteer (stiffen the front bar relative to the rear bar). Most GTR swaybar sets give both adjustable front and rear bars so you choose the settings that work best for you. Stiffest settings aren't the best choice for everyone, the correct settings are the ones that work for your suspension and tire setup and for your driving skill level.

Sharp handling as mentioned can also be related to the feel of the tires, stiffer sidewall construction and shorter sidewall height or XL load rating construction does help. GTRs come with OEM runflats which are very stiff sidewalls.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is a Max summer tire meant for daily driving and street use so it's built for lower noise and ride comfort not really crisp handling. If you go for tires that have better handling such as extreme Summer tires or race tires then you get more noise, firm ride and faster tread wear.

Changing bushings usually result in a much firmer ride, more noise and less comfort but usually better handling.

4472829118_3e56d7a83c_m.jpg4419874927_166d46a46b_m.jpg

2009 GTR Premium Gun Metallic/ Black Leather #2361

#35 Street Modified Class Solo SCCA Hawaii Region 2020-21
2009-2021 Season Points and Runoff Champion(ASP 2009-12/SSP 2013/Street Modified 2014-19/2nd Points SM 2020, 2nd Runoff SM 2016-17)
2009-2014 Season Pax Overall 12th tied 2010/ 13th tied 2011/ 10th 2012/ 10th tied 2013/10th 2014

#4 gtrstve

gtrstve

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:23 AM

Swaybars will help, I have the stillens ones.
Mpss is too soft compared to the oem rubber which gives a sharper handling due to runflats and stiffer sidewalls
Even with swaybars I can still feel the car moving around.
Also stock suspension is pretty soft starting from 2015 upwards.
Best is to get stiffer sidewall tires like R888R or change out rubber bushings for superpro ones. Or change the suspension.
I'm Currently in the process of replacing the oem rubber bushings.

Sorry, are you pertaining to the bushing of the sway bar? 

2019 GTR Premium FBO

#5 gtrstve

gtrstve

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:25 AM

How much understeer and oversteer do you get now? If not either then swaybars aren't the first thing to consider.

If you get a lot of understeer then you need to consider corner entry speed, you may be entering turns too fast for the tightness of the corner. If you get a lot of oversteer then you may have not enough rear tire grip or have too much weight transfer forward.

Swaybars can reduce either understeer (stiffen the rear bar relative to the front) or oversteer (stiffen the front bar relative to the rear bar). Most GTR swaybar sets give both adjustable front and rear bars so you choose the settings that work best for you. Stiffest settings aren't the best choice for everyone, the correct settings are the ones that work for your suspension and tire setup and for your driving skill level.

Sharp handling as mentioned can also be related to the feel of the tires, stiffer sidewall construction and shorter sidewall height or XL load rating construction does help. GTRs come with OEM runflats which are very stiff sidewalls.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is a Max summer tire meant for daily driving and street use so it's built for lower noise and ride comfort not really crisp handling. If you go for tires that have better handling such as extreme Summer tires or race tires then you get more noise, firm ride and faster tread wear.

Changing bushings usually result in a much firmer ride, more noise and less comfort but usually better handling.

Thanks for the reply 

I don't really experience understeer or oversteer cause I rarely track my car

However, I do feel body roll which I want to lessen

so on fast cornering, it will be low and flat. Like Mclarens/ Ferraris 

will sway bars solve this? 

2019 GTR Premium FBO

#6 Maxikeem

Maxikeem

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:46 AM

Yes, the front lower rear bushing. You can start with the swaybars and go from there. Get a superpro one over the whiteline. If that's not enough then maybe a stiffer springs.

I have the nismo suspension on mine, it corners very flat with very minimal roll, night and day compared to my 2015 suspension.

Visually comparing the 2017 Nismo suspension to the 2015, the nismo springs are much bigger and stiffer that regular GTR springs. Also about half inch lower.

Hated the way my 2015 was soft and body rolled. Changing suspension totally worth it. I Can take corners with confidence now.

Sorry, are you pertaining to the bushing of the sway bar? 

#7 aroonkl

aroonkl

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:18 AM

These were the steps I went. My car came with 285/345, Swift R springs, Stock shocks and Sway Bar. Car was understeer.

1. Rear Eibach Sway Bar in. From middle setting first and to stiffest at the end. Car was mild oversteer under power and neutral/understeer when lifted. That was a good improvement.

2.Handling still not so good in straight line and corner. I changed to coilover set with spring rate 900 and 550 and got rid stock shocks. (I don't think spring are stiffer than Swift R) I use my car daily so I did not go stiffer spring. Shock upgraded is the key here. Good improvement. Car was stable and confident in turns.

3.While in processed of 2., I changed tires to R888R which were stickier than PS4. When in turns, car still leaned pretty good. I changed to Whiteline  sway bars. Right now Rear only with middle setting. Whiteline is stiffer than Eibach. Middle setting is stiffer than Eibach stiffest. After some miles I will try Whiteline in the front, I think front at softest setting should be good enough.

Reference car that I try to make GTR come close a bit. My garage queen, 996 turbo with 2wd conversion. GT3 suspension upgrade. KW Clubsport Coilover. AKA poor man GT2. 

If you want to stay with PS4 and stock shock, Eibach might be ok and cheapest route.

I'm planning to buy Eibach sway bars because I want to have sharper handling FEEL. 

will they really make a big difference? 

and for those who are using Eibach Sway bars, 

do you guys use the stiffest setting to have the sharpest handling feel? 

Edited by aroonkl, 21 April 2021 - 07:24 AM.

#8 gtrstve

gtrstve

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 03:22 AM

These were the steps I went. My car came with 285/345, Swift R springs, Stock shocks and Sway Bar. Car was understeer.

1. Rear Eibach Sway Bar in. From middle setting first and to stiffest at the end. Car was mild oversteer under power and neutral/understeer when lifted. That was a good improvement.

2.Handling still not so good in straight line and corner. I changed to coilover set with spring rate 900 and 550 and got rid stock shocks. (I don't think spring are stiffer than Swift R) I use my car daily so I did not go stiffer spring. Shock upgraded is the key here. Good improvement. Car was stable and confident in turns.

3.While in processed of 2., I changed tires to R888R which were stickier than PS4. When in turns, car still leaned pretty good. I changed to Whiteline  sway bars. Right now Rear only with middle setting. Whiteline is stiffer than Eibach. Middle setting is stiffer than Eibach stiffest. After some miles I will try Whiteline in the front, I think front at softest setting should be good enough.

Reference car that I try to make GTR come close a bit. My garage queen, 996 turbo with 2wd conversion. GT3 suspension upgrade. KW Clubsport Coilover. AKA poor man GT2. 

If you want to stay with PS4 and stock shock, Eibach might be ok and cheapest route.

Did you experience installation problems with whitelines? cause I've read a couple of posts saying whitelines dont fit properly

2019 GTR Premium FBO

#9 aroonkl

aroonkl

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:05 AM

I did not put the front in yet. Will let you know. From what I read, one reported mounting hole was off. Later someone pointed out he did not let the wheel free from all load. One wheel was on ground something.
And I think even if there was the problem, manufacturer should address it by now.

#10 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2425 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 10:03 AM

Put the biggest front bar you can find if all you concern is body roll on a daily driver. It will turn like crap when you start driving it at the limit but will solve your specific concern. This is the cheapest way to do it IMO.

2018 SCCA Solo National Super Street 3rd Loser

Always looking for sponsorship to help out on events entry (autox/hpde) and such. Please PM me if interested. Super Street 09 GTR #924 / A Street Prepared 06 Evo #924

Follow me on Instagram: @garytsuikk

Subscribe to my youtube channel: https://www.youtube....LHxYspyZZxJZdYA

#11 franc01

franc01

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:46 PM

Yes, the front lower rear bushing. You can start with the swaybars and go from there. Get a superpro one over the whiteline. If that's not enough then maybe a stiffer springs.

I have the nismo suspension on mine, it corners very flat with very minimal roll, night and day compared to my 2015 suspension.

Visually comparing the 2017 Nismo suspension to the 2015, the nismo springs are much bigger and stiffer that regular GTR springs. Also about half inch lower.

Hated the way my 2015 was soft and body rolled. Changing suspension totally worth it. I Can take corners with confidence now.

@Maxikeem, from where did you source your Nismo suspension?

#12 Maxikeem

Maxikeem

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:11 AM

Bought it from a guy that "upgraded" to a JRZ. One of the best mod. Totally transformed the car.

@Maxikeem, from where did you source your Nismo suspension?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users