12 replies to this topic

#1 gixy2k

gixy2k

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 09:41 PM

So I did a search (searched the forum) and the conclusion was as clear as mud, thus the reason I'm resurrecting this question.

Does the Quad Coat Super Silver come with "Self Healing" paint?

The reason is that I went to see a used 2020 SS/GTR in Denver at an Infinity dealership and one of the first things that they claimed was that the paint was self healing.

I personally never heard this of the Super Silver.  So what is the consensus within the knowledge base of this forum?

They also claimed that it was a corporate vehicle and that was the reason why it was sold in "auction".

Don't get me wrong, the car is in mint condition, but a "auction" history for a $122K used car w/ 3k. mi., is not my cup of tea.

But I digress.  Self Healing?  The paint is supposed to heal itself when exposed to the sun or high temp?  if true, WOW!  If they think it has the same paint as the Self-Healing paint in some Infinities... I don't know, since I've also heard negative feedback on that claim on the Infinity side.

#2 crepr12

crepr12

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:53 AM

Hmmmnnn...I didn't think any color GT-R had self healing paint...It could have self healing PPF...Auction cars I don't see the problem. Could have been a early lease return, trade in dealer couldn't sale or corporate which has several meaning that I learned while looking...That 122K is the show stopper...what are they smoking

50th Bayside Blue (No Stripes)

#3 BlueGTR

BlueGTR

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 09:30 AM

Nissan's self healing clear coat paint is called Scratch Shield and was used on the GT-R. Not sure for what years but it's on my Deep Blue Pearl 2016. Look for the sticker below underneath the hood by the latch.

https://www.nissan-g...EW/scratch.html

Attached Thumbnails

• scratch shield.jpg

#4 Gdzilla_

Gdzilla_

Marketplace Moderator

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5372 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 11:08 AM

Well... look at that, who knew.

Current Stable:
2009 R35 Premium Edition 'GDZILLA' / Ivory Pearl / Ebony / brought home Sept. 8th 2008 / weekend warrior
2006 Solstice 'EMILEY' / Olympic White / Ebony on Suede / for those 'Top Down' summer days
2014 GMC All Terrain Sierra 4x4 'C2SKYE' / Summit White / Ebony Faux Carbon Fiber / trailer hauler
1999 Vulcan Nomad 'TAZ' / Pearl Boulogne / Candy Arsenate Green / quick weekend get-a-ways
2008 Vulcan Classic LT 'PEARL' / Crystal Pearl White / Metallic Titanium / quick weekend get-a-ways for the wife
2019 Tucson Ultimate AWD 'POLRCUB' / Winter White / Ebony on Beige / Wife's daily driver
'EMILEYII' / Solstice battery powered ride on car / White / daily driver for my daughter
'GDZILLAII' / R35 GTR battery powered ride on car / White / weekend warrior for my daughter
1999 R34 Gtt Skyline / White / Ebony / Sold

#5 gixy2k

gixy2k

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 12:18 PM

Nissan's self healing clear coat paint is called Scratch Shield and was used on the GT-R. Not sure for what years but it's on my Deep Blue Pearl 2016. Look for the sticker below underneath the hood by the latch.

Wow...  Thanks for the advise.  I'll check it next time.

Although I'm surprised that Nissan won't mention it on the window sticker.  It's probably a technology that did not pan out the way Nissan thought it would.

Hmmmnnn...I didn't think any color GT-R had self healing paint...It could have self healing PPF...Auction cars I don't see the problem. Could have been a early lease return, trade in dealer couldn't sale or corporate which has several meaning that I learned while looking...That 122K is the show stopper...what are they smoking

It didn't have any PPF from what I could see.

If I ever would make an exception to my rule to stay away from auction cars, this would be the one.  The car is almost in perfect condition.  Hard to do a detail inspection on the paint since it was covered with water spots, though.  The car came from Tennessee, and I'm sure transportation costs is included in the price.  And if that is the case, there is another identical SS in FL for the same price but with 300miles, that would be worth paying the transportation fees for.

$122K is out the door (my estimate).  Asking price is $114K.  https://www.mikeward...1ar5ef5lm100082 They raised the price by $1k in the last 3 days.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Edited by gixy2k, 02 May 2021 - 12:24 PM.

#6 crepr12

crepr12

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 01:14 PM

lmmfao...I have one on my 2020..I just never knew what the heck they were talking about...Thanks BlueGTR...you got the second best color for a GT-R...lol

#7 MC

MC

NAGTROC CO-FOUNDER

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26108 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 04:48 PM

all this is is the clear coat will supposedly get a little softer in the sunlight heat and very very  light swirls are supposed to close up on their own as the clear coat expands a bit. this is at almost the microscopic level though.

ive never really bought into it working and it certainly doesnt "heal" anything you would notice as a true scratch.  its mostly marketing and im sure  it has mesurable results in a lab setting.  but its not like you see a  decent scratch and leave the car outside all day and it disappears 

2015 GT-R N1SMO "THE ONE"
2017 SENTRA NISMO

#8 crepr12

crepr12

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:57 AM

I'll take it and I quess I did over nothing....jmho..didn't really think a nail sctratch or "keying" would disappear via the magic of the sun...

#9 7onyMustDive

7onyMustDive

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:39 AM

lmmfao...I have one on my 2020..I just never knew what the heck they were talking about...Thanks BlueGTR...you got the second best color for a GT-R...lol

You have a Bayside Blue right? Do the other colors have it? Like the 2017+ orange, red, white and black colors?

#10 crepr12

crepr12

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:34 AM

Yes....Dont know about other colors I didn't even know I had it until BlueGTR mentioned the sticker.. like said above Nissan hasn't really advertised this much...

#11 hunter

hunter

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2273 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:01 AM

Super silver is self healing.............on every year..

GTR GUY IN AZ

#12 L.L.

L.L.

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:44 AM

Both my white 2015 and GMG 2016 have that same sticker under the hood.

Does it work? Can't really tell.

2016 Nissan GT-R Black Edition (Current)

Xona 55mm Turbochargers | AMS Alpha Induction Kit | AMS Alpha Race Intercooler | ETS 3.5" Intakes | AMS Alpha 90mm Downpipes | HKS Resonated Midpipe | HKS 45th Anniversary 2-Stage Exhaust

TIAL Q BOV | OMNI 4.0 BAR Map Sensor | AMS Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank | AMS Alpha Splash Shield | ID1300 Injectors | Fore FC3 Fuel Pump Controller | Dual Walbro 485 Fuel Pumps | GT1R Flex Fuel Kit | Visconti Fuel Pressure Monitoring Kit

Stock Block/Transmission | Speed Density on EcuTek | Tuned by Taylor @ Cicio Performance  | [email protected] (7,637 DA)

2015 Nissan GT-R Premium (SOLD)

AMS Alpha 9+ Turbochargers | AMS Alpha Induction Kit | AMS Alpha Front Mount Intercooler | AMS Alpha 3" Intakes | AMS Alpha 90mm Downpipes  | Litchfield 102mm Triple Silenced Exhaust
AMS 4.0 BAR Map Sensor | AMS Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank | AMS Alpha Splash Shield | Speed Density on Cobb AP3 | ID1300 Injectors | Tial Q BOV | DW300C Fuel Pumps | GotBoost Flexfuel Kit | GotBoost Fuel Pressure Monitoring Kit

Stock Block/Transmission | Tuned by Chris Black & ACG Automotive | Built by JohnWigs @ Pacific Nissan 

2017 Acura NSX (SOLD)

130R White on Red/Alcantara

#13 7onyMustDive

7onyMustDive

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:42 PM

Seems like its on all colors for at least 2015 + GT-Rs.

2018 Blaze metallic/Kasturi orange has the sticker too.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users