I see we are posting at the same time, see above to an alternate possible "fix"

#42 240Z TwinTurbo

240Z TwinTurbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:13 PM

240, I see the dowels on the timing cover side for the cam covers, my tuner has also just recommend to remove the dowels to allow the cam covers to sit more centered (allowing the seals to center the cam covers)

You're going to have some level of oil contamination because of the worn cam covers and cam gears, which I assume that surface is metal.  You'll need to first make a decision if you want to pull the motor and have it cleaned out and inspected.

1971 Datsun 240Z (Let the restoration begin!)

2006 EVO IX (663hp/527tq @ wheels Shell 93 pump gas)
2009 GTR Premium (707hp/628tq @ wheels Shell 93 pump gas / [email protected])
2019 Stinger GT AWD (stock)

DIY700 - 700hp on a Budget

BW S366 SX-E (6668) TwinScroll Experiment

CURT BROWN 2.15L S362 vs S366 Results - 93 Pump

#43 Bit_Pirate

Bit_Pirate

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:53 PM

I have given that some thought already 240, and as I'm sure you know that's a whole can of worms in itself, just in potential upgrades on the "while it's out" list ...

#44 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8847 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:18 AM

Any more info?

Redemption 2.0 Tuned by Ben Linney = Smooth as Fawk!!
Switzer 90mmSS Exhaust = Loud as Fawk!!

#45 Bit_Pirate

Bit_Pirate

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:05 AM

I have updated the engine builder of all the info and pics I have, I have asked for a response, but I suspect like all shops they are putting of the boring work until after Hail Mary this weekend. Chances are when I don't hear anything from them I will try to order parts wither end of this week or first of next week, I just feel like I have no way to verify if they are being reinstalled correctly, and its very expensive to find out the hard way.

#46 colo_evo

colo_evo

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:27 AM

Cut open the oil filter and post pics. All those shavings went somewhere, hopefully the filter caught them.

#47 Bit_Pirate

Bit_Pirate

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:06 PM

Well yea, I agree on the filter, I thinkost of the wear occured before my ownership, I have been able to document at least 3 oil changed in the roughly 1800 miles that are on the motor before I got it, unfortunate the oil filter I have only had about 200 miles on the oil, and I put a new one on which only has about 6 miles. Both of them are clean.

#48 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8847 posts

Posted Today, 09:33 AM

Well yea, I agree on the filter, I thinkost of the wear occured before my ownership, I have been able to document at least 3 oil changed in the roughly 1800 miles that are on the motor before I got it, unfortunate the oil filter I have only had about 200 miles on the oil, and I put a new one on which only has about 6 miles. Both of them are clean.

Is the seller willing to help you out with the situation?

#49 Bit_Pirate

Bit_Pirate

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted Today, 10:41 AM

The post you saw elsewhere is about the level of help I'm going to get there I think.

I ordered the parts to do the timing components new vvt gears and new cam covers today.

Taking any suggestions on how I may be able to ensure proper alignment of the covers/stands. Right now I plan to remove the dowels from the front cover and attempt to let the stands get as close to center as possible.

I also noticed that the new "shop" seal (the white ones) didn't seem worn, however they did seem to wear a grove in the cam gears, how can I remedy that, those seals are suppose to be better but not if they are going to wear out cam gears constantly.

#50 240Z TwinTurbo

240Z TwinTurbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted Today, 12:58 PM

The post you saw elsewhere is about the level of help I'm going to get there I think.

I ordered the parts to do the timing components new vvt gears and new cam covers today.

Taking any suggestions on how I may be able to ensure proper alignment of the covers/stands. Right now I plan to remove the dowels from the front cover and attempt to let the stands get as close to center as possible.

I also noticed that the new "shop" seal (the white ones) didn't seem worn, however they did seem to wear a grove in the cam gears, how can I remedy that, those seals are suppose to be better but not if they are going to wear out cam gears constantly.

Before you pull the dowels, I would test fit the cover by sliding it into the cam gear until right before the dowel engages the hole.  This would hopefully give you a sense for whether the alignment is actually off.

1971 Datsun 240Z (Let the restoration begin!)

2006 EVO IX (663hp/527tq @ wheels Shell 93 pump gas)
2009 GTR Premium (707hp/628tq @ wheels Shell 93 pump gas / [email protected])
2019 Stinger GT AWD (stock)

DIY700 - 700hp on a Budget

BW S366 SX-E (6668) TwinScroll Experiment

CURT BROWN 2.15L S362 vs S366 Results - 93 Pump

#51 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8847 posts

Posted Today, 01:05 PM

If you are doing new cam gears and new covers, why not just go with brand new oem cam seals for all 3 seals?  :dunno:

#52 Bit_Pirate

Bit_Pirate

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted Today, 02:04 PM

I already have new seals, I was under the impression the white ones are supposed to be better than stock for built motors, I guess I'm just trying to confirm if I should get new of those or use the stock stuff

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users