Photo
- - - - -

New Owner 2017 Alpha7 (Southern Wisconsin)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 UnCitizen

UnCitizen

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 11:50 AM

Hi,

Just purchased a 2017 with Alpha7 (with E85) package installed/tuned by AMS. 21k miles, Immaculate car and a joy to drive. It's been a dream of mine for many years and I finally was able to find one that checked all the boxes (was gonna do these exact mods anyway). Many, many years ago I had a 97 MKIV and miss that car lol.

Have a couple of questions. I'm new to the Cobb AP and the map loaded is clearly labeled Alpha7 and has correct parts listed. However I do not have any maps available via the CC buttons, like lower boost, valet etc. (boost gauge does change to select, but only has one step). Anything I may be missing? Second, what sort of boost spike can I expect? (I'm seeing 19ish currently I hope that's ok). Lastly, the car does have swift springs. Is there any concern with the stock suspension dampeners?

I'm sure I will have more but for now I'm thinking I will take it to AMS for a once over. I have all of the original paperwork from them.

Thanks!

Nick

#2 Gdzilla_

Gdzilla_

Marketplace Moderator

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5431 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:29 PM

Congrats on the car... and many miles of happy motoring...

If there are no other maps listed in the AccessPort itself, to choose from, then you won’t have any available via the cc buttons.

Since you are contemplating AMS for a once over inspection, they can provide additional optional maps.

If you decide not to go there, any reputable tuner can also provide additional maps via an eTune or physically put your car on a dyno. 

You would need to download the AccessPort Manager program on your computer first to be able to load up future maps.

One can acquire this AP Manager program right from the COBB website, free to download. 

You may want to read up on AMS first before making a decision.

https://www.gtrlife....s/?fromsearch=1

Edited by Gdzilla_, 06 June 2021 - 04:31 PM.

Current Stable:
2009 R35 Premium Edition 'GDZILLA' / Ivory Pearl / Ebony / brought home Sept. 8th 2008 / weekend warrior
2006 Solstice 'EMILEY' / Olympic White / Ebony on Suede / for those 'Top Down' summer days
2014 GMC All Terrain Sierra 4x4 'C2SKYE' / Summit White / Ebony Faux Carbon Fiber / trailer hauler
1999 Vulcan Nomad 'TAZ' / Pearl Boulogne / Candy Arsenate Green / quick weekend get-a-ways
2008 Vulcan Classic LT 'PEARL' / Crystal Pearl White / Metallic Titanium / quick weekend get-a-ways for the wife
2019 Tucson Ultimate AWD 'POLRCUB' / Winter White / Ebony on Beige / Wife's daily driver
'EMILEYII' / Solstice battery powered ride on car / White / daily driver for my daughter
'GDZILLAII' / R35 GTR battery powered ride on car / White / weekend warrior for my daughter
1999 R34 Gtt Skyline / White / Ebony / Sold

#3 UnCitizen

UnCitizen

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the info and kind words! I will look into it. Stuck at work and can't focus  :lol:

Edit: Any suggestions on tuners around this area that people like?

Edited by UnCitizen, 06 June 2021 - 05:24 PM.

#4 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3545 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for the info and kind words! I will look into it. Stuck at work and can't focus  :lol:

Edit: Any suggestions on tuners around this area that people like?

Maybe an add-on to Gdzilla_'s advice:  A single MAP on your Cobb MIGHT have 8 or so CC things on it.  But apparently your single MAP wasn't set up that way by the original tuner.

As to tuners, be aware that many (most?) use encryption specific for your car.  They will generally be unable to do any adjustments to your present (encrypted) MAP.  Instead, they will start all over with their own tune...maybe a grand or more (dyno tune), depending upon what you want.

There is AMS performance and Boostin performance within an hour's drive from the Wisconsin border, if you're starting in the vicinity of Antioch Illinois.

Alexd

Edited by alexdavis, 06 June 2021 - 10:34 PM.

bOeuB0b.jpg

2012 Gun-Metal GT-R Alpha 6 ([email protected]) originally tuned by Chris Black

Cobb, AAM mid-pipe, Gotboost 3", ID1000, FF manifold, 100 octane, stock DPs

Front camera, Whistler Remote, Reverse Beep eliminator, Running lights with headlights

Upgraded to Alpha 9 with MPSS tires: 9.7/148 all day

Fun to daily drive, thanks to AMS's Jacob Compton

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12, cannot race anymore at NHRA strips

#5 UnCitizen

UnCitizen

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 04:55 AM

Yeah I wouldn't be opposed to starting a tune from scratch, not knowing what exactly is on this map. Antioch is not far at all. Need to find some local hooligans to tool around with.... lol

#6 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3545 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 11:56 AM

Yeah I wouldn't be opposed to starting a tune from scratch, not knowing what exactly is on this map. Antioch is not far at all. Need to find some local hooligans to tool around with.... lol

Tuners are busy, but it's not impossible to set up an appointment waaaay in the future and then get to their place at 8am and pack a lunch.  Then, toward the end of the day you can drive your car back after the dyno tune is done, after many hours later that day.

Alexd

bOeuB0b.jpg

2012 Gun-Metal GT-R Alpha 6 ([email protected]) originally tuned by Chris Black

Cobb, AAM mid-pipe, Gotboost 3", ID1000, FF manifold, 100 octane, stock DPs

Front camera, Whistler Remote, Reverse Beep eliminator, Running lights with headlights

Upgraded to Alpha 9 with MPSS tires: 9.7/148 all day

Fun to daily drive, thanks to AMS's Jacob Compton

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12, cannot race anymore at NHRA strips

#7 AMS MIKE

AMS MIKE

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:31 AM

Congrats on your GTR.  I would talk to Cobb directly, they have fantastic support.

'14 GT-R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users