5 replies to this topic

#1 hunter

hunter

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2289 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:21 PM

Here is an interesting question. Minor accident can be fixed with bondo for 1200.00 or far less with paintless fix. Terrible other ins. company has files  CARFAX..

So what to do... Fix with paintless and except not perfect but future buyer will see extent of minor damage..... OR bondo and blend with quality body shop and hope future buyer reads CARFAX that same very minor accident.

vote................

paintless

bondo

Edited by hunter, 10 June 2021 - 05:21 PM.

GTR GUY IN AZ

#2 Gdzilla_

Gdzilla_

Marketplace Moderator

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5431 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:28 PM

Without you specifying what part of the car needs repair. My answer still is, no paintless no bondo.

If its just a dent repair. There are professionals that can do magic if they are really good at it, again not knowing what part is to be repaired.

Bondo and blend. Amateur body shops will say they can blend. Professionals will refuse to blend. Either paint the entire body part or not at all. 

As far as bondo goes, again not knowing the specific body part to be repaired, absolutely not. Replace body part with OEM and paint. 

But thats just me.

When i run my magnet around a vehicle and discover bondo.. or by using a filler detector, the asking price just plummeted lol

Current Stable:
2009 R35 Premium Edition 'GDZILLA' / Ivory Pearl / Ebony / brought home Sept. 8th 2008 / weekend warrior
2006 Solstice 'EMILEY' / Olympic White / Ebony on Suede / for those 'Top Down' summer days
2014 GMC All Terrain Sierra 4x4 'C2SKYE' / Summit White / Ebony Faux Carbon Fiber / trailer hauler
1999 Vulcan Nomad 'TAZ' / Pearl Boulogne / Candy Arsenate Green / quick weekend get-a-ways
2008 Vulcan Classic LT 'PEARL' / Crystal Pearl White / Metallic Titanium / quick weekend get-a-ways for the wife
2019 Tucson Ultimate AWD 'POLRCUB' / Winter White / Ebony on Beige / Wife's daily driver
'EMILEYII' / Solstice battery powered ride on car / White / daily driver for my daughter
'GDZILLAII' / R35 GTR battery powered ride on car / White / weekend warrior for my daughter
1999 R34 Gtt Skyline / White / Ebony / Sold

#3 L.L.

L.L.

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:38 PM

+1 for more information on location of damage

2016 Nissan GT-R Black Edition Cicio/Xona 55mm Turbochargers | AMS Alpha Induction Kit | AMS Alpha Race Intercooler | ETS 3.5" Intakes
AMS Alpha 90mm DP | HKS Resonated Midpipe | HKS 45th Anniversary 2-Stage Exhaust
TIAL Q BOV | OMNI 4.0 BAR Map Sensor | AMS Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank | AMS Alpha Splash Shield
ID1300 Injectors | Fore FC3 Fuel Pump Controller | Walbro 485 Fuel Pumps x2 | GT1R Flex Fuel Kit | Visconti FP Monitoring Kit
2021 Nismo wheels | Toyo R888R Tires 285/35/20F / 325/30/20R
Stock Block/Transmission | Speed Density on EcuTek | Tuned by Taylor @ Cicio Performance  | [email protected] (7,637 DA) 
post-332705-0-07649700-1622315589.jpg

#4 GTRick

GTRick

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:53 PM

Dont bother trying to fix out of pocket if there is already a record from a police report. Been there done that, doesnt work. Minor damage reported on Carfax is still the kiss of death even if you were able to buff it all out at home and never made a claim. To be off record, you have to send other at fault driver on their way without calling police. If there is a carfax record you are already f$cked so might as well fix it right.

#5 hunter

hunter

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2289 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:36 AM

The dent is 4 inches long and 2 inches tall and 1/4 deep.. It is located on the front fender on the crease line that is close to the tire.

Paintless dent removal

or

Conventional repair and blend paint into hood. Body shop is Nissan dealer .

GTR GUY IN AZ

#6 GTRick

GTRick

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:48 AM

Take the car to dent wizard for an estimate and they will tell you if they can fix it or not. If there is paint damage, or significant creasing they may tell you they cant do it.

If they cant, I would avoid bondo. It can look OK at first but will shrink later and look wavy when you look down the side of the car. Many dealers run a paint micrometer over the car and will spot the extra thickness. As Gdzilla said, get a new OEM fender and have it primed and painted properly. Or, use this as an opportunity to get aftermarket Varis vented fenders. At least it was a front fender. Much easier to replace than a rear fender.

Keep photos of the damage and records of repair for when you go to sell. If the other driver was at fault, you can go after their insurance for diminished value. They wont offer you the full amount but its better than nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users