20 replies to this topic

#1 Ravi

Ravi

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hi Everyone, we began communication with Jim at Top racing a few monthes ago with the intention of becoming a dealer. Shortly after we ordered a hood as a sample for overall quality and test fitment.

We recieved our hood on 5/20/10, I believe we are the actual first to recieve Top Racing Aero(fedex tracking number 8639 9332 3383), in the United States.

I was waiting to post pics and a review until we had solved all of the problems with the hood and were able to install it correctly.

The hood was packed well and arrived from Hong Kong by fedex express.

Notes:

Hood is installed on my own personal 2010 Premium GTR

Time Frame:

Quoted production time was 2 weeks however actually took 4 weeks to be produced

Mounting hardware:

Original hood uses studs and nuts for attachment to the GTR hinges, the Top Racing hood uses rivnuts and requires bolts for installation, however no hardware whatsoever is provided with this hood.

Fitment:

This Top Racing hood has the rivnuts installed misaligned/incorrectly and thus the hood will not bolt directly on and line up, you must hog out the holes in the original GTR hinges inorder to allow for shifting of the hood and making alignment possible.

Panel gaps etc:

The Top Racing hood fits adequately however the side gaps are not consistent. Also the panel height is not true to factory and required a shim at the right rear to sit flush with the fender.

Latching:

Top Racing instructs you to use an Aero Catch style system to secure the hood instead of the original hood latches.

I didn't want to cut holes in the top of the hood and so we (Umbrella Auto Design) fabricated the correct parts to allow oem style latching of the hood.

We will offer an adapter kit for oem latching of the Top Racing hood.

Overall cosmetics:

The hood is certainly a racecar part and some areas of the cosmetics will not be pleasing to certain purchasers, for example: the louvers at the front of the hood leave exposed the unfinished back side of the under hood skin of the hood, also all of rivnuts from the bottom are clearly visible from the outside of the car, i'm working on a solution at the moment but really it looks quite ugly and not representative of the cost of the hood.

Weight:

We have not had a chance to weigh the Top Racing hood but I can say that it is quite light.

Feel free to contact me by telephone regarding the hood or if you are local (Bellevue, Wa) feel free to stop by and see the hood in person.

Pics attached (higher quality coming soon)

Thanks

Ravi

Attached Thumbnails

• 027.JPG
  • 028.JPG
  • 030.JPG
  • 032.JPG
  • 033.JPG
  • 034.JPG
  • 035.JPG
  • 036.JPG
  • 037.JPG
  • 038.JPG
  • 039.JPG

Edited by [email protected] AUTO DESIGN, 26 May 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#2 rgo808

rgo808

R34 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

Thank you for the review.

#3 SELVERGTR7

SELVERGTR7

NISMO Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9468 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

looks awesome..thanks for sharing

too bad its not the same color

#4 ShahulX

ShahulX

Who Dat !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7797 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

shame... oh well...kinda cool i guess...but too bad about the looks/fitment and quality.... but for racing none of that matters.... not for daily users

Current car : 2011 Boxster Spyder- (6MT, cf sport buckets, sport chrono, pagid yellows, gt3 brake ducts, fabspeed race) Audi B6 S4 cab (sprint blue), 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited

Former cars: 2009 NISSAN GTR PREMIUM ( Delivered !! 8/05/08 Ivory Pearl with Black leather )
2010 Evolution X, MK6 VW Gti, Subaru Outback and Forester XT 5mt, evolution 8 gsr, 94 supra, tsx 6mt, 2 preludes, rsx type S, 99 & 01 miatas, ridgeline, passport, integra, 06 accord, 07 crv, 00 eclipse gt

[/b]
[/color]

#5 the King

the King

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6078 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

I am happy when reviews like this are posted. They help us to make decisions based off actual truths and facts....
I am looking for a streetable carbon hood that fits properly. Ah well back to Mine's then...
Tommi Makinen Edition aka Evolution 6.5: full GSR trim, Coilovers.

#6 Ravi

Ravi

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

I am happy when reviews like this are posted. They help us to make decisions based off actual truths and facts....
I am looking for a streetable carbon hood that fits properly. Ah well back to Mine's then...

I think this hood is more suited to a track car,where fit and finish are not critical. I will probably end up painting my hood and cutting off the bottom skin inorder to fix the cosmetic issues, then re bond to the top skin.

Ravi

Edited by [email protected] AUTO DESIGN, 26 May 2010 - 09:01 PM.

#7 STI2EVO2GTR

STI2EVO2GTR

SpecV Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:11 PM

Very good and detailed review

#8 Ravi

Ravi

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:47 AM

Very good and detailed review

I will try to post some pics of the underside of the hood tomorrow.

Rav

#9 Mick

Mick

Formerly R35_395

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:55 AM

That last pic is terrible.

#10 Handbrake

Handbrake

R36 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:36 AM

agree, the hood is average quality (from what I can make of the photos), track focused or not, no need to compromise on quality.
I hope my front bumper fits and looks better.
Posted Image

#11 2Fast4u

2Fast4u

JOTECH Greddy GT-R900

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

there is no way i would have the top racing set up unless i had a track only race gtr other than that its ugly

#12 jmunjr

jmunjr

NISMO Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5184 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

It's from China. Enough said...
2009 Nissan GT-R, Premium Edition, Gunmetal/Black, Clear front & rear markers, HKS resonated mid-pipe, JRZ RS Pro Silent Coilovers, Forged sway bars, Alcon Superkit BBK, Kognition rear wing, Aeromotions front splitter, BSE transmission cooler, DIY front brake cooling ducts, flatulence-infused seat cushions

#13 Bernie (OOParts)

Bernie (OOParts)

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:22 PM

Is it possible that all of the extra adjustments you needed to do resulted in that gap by the driver's headlight? Do you think that gap could be improved if you tweaked the mounting a little more or was that as good as you could get? Thanks for the great review! Post more pictures when you get a chance please!
Bernie, OOParts International
1991 Nissan 300ZXTT (Stage XII+ 630 hp)
2002 Subaru WRX (TXS Stage 3 ~300hp)
2008 Mercedes Benz AMG ML63 (stock 503hp... so far)
2009 Nissan GT-R (for the street: Cobb AP stage 1, for the track: stock 483hp)
Track times for GT-R in stock configuration with Bridgestone tires: Homestead- club configuration: 1:41.7, Palm Beach International Raceway - 1:29.7

#14 Kenny

Kenny

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

thanks for a good old dose of truth.
Posted Image
'09 SS GTR
Downforce Carbon Sport Lip | Carbon Side Splitter | Carbon Grill | Carbon Headlight Trim | Carbon Lip Spoiler | Carbon Exhaust Shield
547hp/547tq
HKS Midpipe / Akuma Intakes / Cobb AP / Wald Diffuser
Downforce DFR Carbon Seats

PM me on specials for Downforce Carbon Aero Pieces

#15 ShahulX

ShahulX

Who Dat !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7797 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:40 AM

Even as far as tracking is concerned.... Nissan put YEARS of r&d into getting the drag of this car down to .27.... The front bumper negates all that... And there are just better cf options if you see pwjdm and ams and gtrr etc.... And as stated in other threads about the loss of the ducts over the turbo manifolds

Current car : 2011 Boxster Spyder- (6MT, cf sport buckets, sport chrono, pagid yellows, gt3 brake ducts, fabspeed race) Audi B6 S4 cab (sprint blue), 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited

Former cars: 2009 NISSAN GTR PREMIUM ( Delivered !! 8/05/08 Ivory Pearl with Black leather )
2010 Evolution X, MK6 VW Gti, Subaru Outback and Forester XT 5mt, evolution 8 gsr, 94 supra, tsx 6mt, 2 preludes, rsx type S, 99 & 01 miatas, ridgeline, passport, integra, 06 accord, 07 crv, 00 eclipse gt

[/b]
[/color]

#16 TRMP

TRMP

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

Ravi, you should have let me know that you were having problem with the hood.
We would have exchange a new one for you.
After seeing the photos of your hood, I will make sure that all the parts that are coming off the production line now are a 100% perfect.
And I am pretty confident that they will be.

Ben at GTR-R ordered one as well, and he didn't seem to have problem.
Posted Image

www.topracing.com.hk

[email protected]

#17 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8784 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

After seeing the photos of your hood, I will make sure that all the parts that are coming off the production line now are a 100% perfect.

They should be 100% perfect everytime....not just now. :lmfao:
Redemption 2.0 Tuned by Ben Linney = Smooth as Fawk!!
Switzer 90mmSS Exhaust = Loud as Fawk!!

#18 James

James

Alpha 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3763 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:22 PM

It's from China. Enough said...

I find that offensive...just because one item off the production line got messed up...you assume that all china's merchandise is cheap and bad quality...maybe if most companies wasn't all about money and making profits... and spent a little more money in perfecting their products and choose which manufacturer and choose the materials then it would be in better quality...you pay for what you get...and then when companies go towards the cheap side then china gets blamed for producing cheap quality products...

sorry to take away from the post...

the fitment is off in that last picture...agreed only for track use....not the best looking hood out there

Edited by xchouderx, 05 June 2010 - 11:33 PM.

2011 Pearl White GT-R - ALPHA 10
GT-R Life Forum/Moderator Moderator & Facebook/Instagram Admin
http://www.facebook.com/gtrlife https://www.instagram.com/thegtrlife https://www.twitter.com/gtrlife
Follow Me - @Jchou38 - @TheGTRLife - #GTRLife #NAGTROC
Question? Contact Me - [email protected]

#19 diesel350

diesel350

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

Bought a CFRP hood (disappointed) and wasn't expecting perfect fitment and there are always something thats going to be different from the factory OE spec , however with the "Made in China" remarks I will mention that CHINA is the best place for business, However quality is up to each persons objective how well they value their clients. Interestingly enough Carbon Fiber production HOT spots are located in Japan and Malaysia by DOME LTD maker of the JGTC chassis.

Lets keep this on topic but I can say I do value USA workers/jobs but how can you prosper in an environment that is increasingly turning into "NO IN MY BACK YARD" of anti-business climate.

Edited by diesel350, 06 June 2010 - 04:54 PM.

#20 Forged-Lifestyle

Forged-Lifestyle

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

looks good ravi

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users