#1 Sakred

Sakred

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hello Everyone,

I recently had the displeasure of cracking the front OEM Nissan rotors on my 2012 BE GTR. As many of you know the OEM rotors crack when used on track. It took me 1 track event at Buttonwillow raceway, and less then 6k miles to crack my rotors to the point where they needed to be replaced. I researched some options on this forum, and came across the Alcon rotors which were about 1k a piece. Not willing to pay 2k for a set of rotor rings I decided to wait till other companies offered a more competitive after market solution.

I recently purchased a set of RacingBrake OE replacement rotors that are slotted rather than drilled like the OEM Nissan rotors. I also purchased a set of their RB XT960 racing brake pads. Initial impressions on my dealing with RacingBrake were great. The staff was very knowledgeable and answered all of my questions. I received the rotors and pads a few days ago just in time for the 2013 GTR experience held at Laguna Seca Raceway. For those not familiar with the 2013 GTR Experience, this is an event hosted by Nissan for GTR owners. The California event was hosted at Laguna Seca by the Skip Barber Racing School. At this event there was an AutoX, a Drag Strip, a Slalom course, and of course the Laguna Seca Road Course. Participants used their own personal cars for a number of driving workshops. This was essentially the perfect place to try out my new rotor and pad combination.

Previous Setup:

I had the OEM rotors with Hawk DTC 70 front and DTC60 rear pad combination; I also have a set steel braided brake lines and Motul RBF600 for brake fluid. With this setup I did my first track event at Buttonwillow Config 13CW. This was my first track event with the GTR and the car went 2 mins flat for its fastest lap. This was the only track event on the OEM rotors and they cracked at this event. I like to think that I am pretty hard on the brakes. I also exhibited what I perceived at the time to be pad knock-back, or brake fade, which I later discovered to be a product of the DTC 70s initial bite. Suffice it to say I did not want to spend money on this combination again.

Current Setup:

My setup for the 2013 GTR experience was as follows. 2012 GTR Black Edition factory stock except for RacingBrake XT960 race pad, RacingBrake OE replacement Rotor Ring, Steel braided brake lines, Motul RBF600 brake fluid. After I got the rotors and pads installed, I proceeded to bed in the brake pads. My initial impression was that these pads had some brake squeal. Having run a number of different race compound brake pads, this was to be expected. I also noticed that the initial bite on these pads was much better than the DTC 70 Hawk pads I had previously on my car. Brake modulation was good, and threshold braking was easy to accomplish. With the car ready, I eagerly awaited my chance to test out the brakes at the 2013 GTR Experience event.

On Track Experience

Let me start off by saying that the 2013 GTR Experience event was really hard on the brakes of all the GTRs in attendance. The first activity for our group of 11 GTRs was the AutoX. The groups had a combination of stock and modified GTRs, with drivers of all skill levels. We got a number of laps on the AutoX course to familiarize ourselves with the course. The highest speeds we got to were around 60mph and down to 15 mph. This happened on 3 parts of the 22second course. I performed 5 laps for 3 sessions and the brakes worked great during the short stints. No fade, no pad knock-back, and great modulation throughout. The second activity was the makeshift drag strip.

This strip was a little less than an 1/8th of a mile with a hard and short braking zone at the end. We would reach speeds of up to 85mph before the braking zone and then down to 0 mph. Again the brakes performed great. No fade even though there was no cool down period between runs. The next activity was a trail braking exercise on Turn 1 of Laguna Seca right after the front straight and downhill section. We would get to about 100 mph before the braking zone and again the brakes did not disappoint. Trail braking into turn 1 and then modulating the brakes through turn 1 with some steering wheel input would exacerbate any pad knock-back issues the GTR has. Turns out that what I previously mistook as Pad knock-back issues on the GTR, were the DTC 70 pads and the way they engage.

The last driving activity was the full road course behind and instructor car. If you have driven on Laguna Seca you know that it is one of the worst tracks for cooling. There are no long straights, the average speeds are pretty high, and the track is generally tough on the brakes. I started the activity slowly becoming accustomed to the elevation changes at Laguna Seca. A few laps later I was flying up the rear of the instructor car. We did a 10 lap session and came in to pit for a brief second before going back out again for another 10 laps. The brakes did not show any sign of wear or damage. After the open lapping session we went back to the AutoX course for our timed laps. We did 3 sessions of 3 timed laps and the fastest average time of the 3 sessions was used to place us in the competition. I managed to place 3rd behind 2 modified GTRs running 285 R888s up front.

Final Impressions:

This setup is a great for people who like to track their GTRs. Not only did these brakes not fade throughout the day, but my rotors are still intact after all of the heat cycles they went through. The value these OE replacement rotors provide is second to none. I am already doing 100% better then what I did with the OEM Nissan rotors. The pads are still in great shape. I will be doing a Buttonwillow event with timing this Saturday, and don’t expect to have to change anything on my car before this event. Interesting thing to note; the pads are no longer squeaking, and the brake dust is very easy to clean off compared to other race pads. I would highly recommend this setup to people looking to upgrade the OEM equipment. Links, and pics below.

OE Replacement Rotor:
http://www.racingbra...gory-s/5863.htm
XT960 Race Pad:
http://www.racingbra.../pd1382-397.htm

Attached Thumbnails

• GTR Rotors.JPG
  • GTR Rotors 2.JPG

Edited by Sakred, 25 June 2013 - 12:26 PM.

Posted Image
**This is where my mods list, and previous cars with mods list goes. Becauseyouneedtoknow**

#2 nlpamg

nlpamg

R34 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

great review. can't wait to see you pull 1:55 at Buttonwillow with them, buddy!
-Phil
AMS DPs | HKS Res. MP | ID1000s | GB 3" Intakes | Tuned by Chris [email protected]

#3 LTHL VNM

LTHL VNM

GT1R Flame Thrower Edition

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2177 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

My front rotors will need to be replaced soon, great write up! Saving that link for sure

T1 Race Development GT1R

#4 Sakred

Sakred

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

great review. can't wait to see you pull 1:55 at Buttonwillow with them, buddy!

Thanks Phil. Here's to hoping for good weather and good track conditions. Additional pictures below.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3990.JPG
  • IMG_3991.JPG
  • IMG_3993.JPG
  • IMG_4032.JPG
  • IMG_4003.JPG
  • IMG_4044.JPG

Posted Image
**This is where my mods list, and previous cars with mods list goes. Becauseyouneedtoknow**

#5 Enthusiast73

Enthusiast73

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Sakred, you shouldn't be worried with those tiny hairline cracks on the OEM rotors, yet.... I've seen far far worse before actually needing to be replaced.

#6 Sakred

Sakred

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Sakred, you shouldn't be worried with those tiny hairline cracks on the OEM rotors, yet.... I've seen far far worse before actually needing to be replaced.

I track my car often. I have also never had a car with drilled rotors. The pictures don't show the bigger cracks. Some are pretty substantial. Just the fact that the metal is cracking is unsettling enough for me to replace them. I also have to consider that if 1 track day can do this to the OEM rotors, 1 more track day will exponentially increase the size of the cracks.
Posted Image

#7 biznaka

biznaka

R36 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

Some are minor, but why not replace? If I'm going to an event where there is a massive amount of braking, I wouldn't want to be worried about the rotors. This is definitely one of those events...
2009 Nissan GTR - Switzer Ultimate Street Edition [1000HP].

2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX [691 HP] (Sold)
2002 Camaro SS [550 HP] (Sold)
1969 Camaro [400 HP] (Sold)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BSfZt2ybmBk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#8 Enthusiast73

Enthusiast73

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Some are minor, but why not replace? If I'm going to an event where there is a massive amount of braking, I wouldn't want to be worried about the rotors. This is definitely one of those events...

I like to get my money's worth....it's like filling up the gas tank when it's half full, but you could drive farther before actually having to fill up.

#9 MindlessOath

MindlessOath

NISMO Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11288 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

why didnt you get the open slot version?
http://www.racingbra...8_11_p/2163.htm

#10 Sakred

Sakred

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

why didnt you get the open slot version?
http://www.racingbra...8_11_p/2163.htm

I don't think they have the open slots for the 2012 GTR.
Posted Image

#11 doba_s

doba_s

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

slotted rotors will definitely perform better than drilled ... glad to see you found a pair of slotted OE rotors ... now make sure you taped your wheel weights or they will come off :)

#12 MindlessOath

MindlessOath

NISMO Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11288 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

I don't think they have the open slots for the 2012 GTR.

i see. the 2012 size must be new cause i had not seen it there not so long ago when i was looking.

also noticed this on the link you posted...
*This rotor is made to 388x34 vs OE
390x33. RB's two-piece rotors are
made to the exact diameter where the
pad contacts the rotor to eliminate the
rusty rotor lip that forms on the outer
edge of the OE rotors. We have also
increased thickness for better durability.

#13 WarrenR

WarrenR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

This is an excellent review covering not just the performance improvement, but also the availability and cost factors. Intellegent consumers are the majority of our customer base. Two threads were posted by us a while ago.
Racing Brake Technology - A Discussion about the truth of components
Brake Issues anyone?

RB is not a brand often mentioned in this forum like others, however we believe we are the most experienced and technology based brake company when it comes to dealing with "weekend warriors". We deal with non-professional racers like you, and stock cars like WRX/STi, EVO, Z06, NSX, RX7, RX8, S2000, M3, S4. We work around the stock improvement/upgrade to keep your cost under control and make your brake system more effective and reliable than offering exotic/expensive replacements or unnecessary auxiulary equipment.

Check us out from various fourms, Nissan factory racing team with 370Z is running RB two piece rotors.

Light weight two piece rotors were first introduced by RB in 2004 to Sti and EVO, when were the first affordable (comparing to Porsche and Ferrari) motorsports car equipped with Brembo calipers. Nowadays our two piece rotors program has expanded to all vehicles from Audi to VW. We now offer more two piece rotors than all the competitions combined, including replacement discs for Alcon, Brembo and Stoptech brake kits.

Shipping 2012 GT-R replacement rotor rings should be a good example to demostrate our capability in new brake development. - We deliver as others making promises...-
So if you have any questions on your GT-R brake, PM me or give us a call (714-871-6392 PST) or email us

We have street pad (ET series) that has excellent stopping power, low dust and is guaranteed agsint "Squeaking".

XT series is for HPDE and motorsports:

XT910 - Hybrid, for street and light tracking
XT960 - Track with limited street
XT970 - Dedicated track

We have a complete brake solution for GT-R (from street to track), and our brake products carry a money back satisfaction guarantee, it they fail to meet your expectation in performance or value.

Thank you.

Warren-RB

#14 RPM

RPM

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Racing brakes- Thank you for the additional info. Do you plan to have an open slot rotor for the 2012 gtr at some point?

#15 WarrenR

WarrenR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

Racing brakes- Thank you for the additional info. Do you plan to have an open slot rotor for the 2012 gtr at some point?

Please see below:

For both earlier models and 2012 we offer two alternatives:

1. Stock replacement rings and complete rotor assenmbly like OE with McLaren hardware - Surface Slots finish only.

2. RB center mount design complete rotor assembly - Our standard finish is "Open Slots"

An better rotor design is to keep the operating temperature low by dumping as much as heat off from the rotor as possible. Our patented convergent vanes design can trap the air inside the vanes and remove more heat from rotor than conventional vanes.

Cooling the rotor by installing other auxiliary deviuce such as cooling ducts or spray water are not in our list of recommendation. We rather to have the rotor temperature uniform across the disc surface from inner to outer edge and inboard to outborad which is a healthier operation than inducing cooling to a system which can cause uniform temperature across the rotor.

Although Sakred's rotors are OE's traditional surface mount design, but he still can run the brake w/o cooling ducts. The drawback with traditional surface mount is it does'nt admit cooling air from outboard, where plently of cold air is available (thru the wheel spokes) while our center mount design provides widely open air ports in both "inboard" and "outborad". We like natural air becausae it's free, unlimited supply and never break down on you.

Here is a link to the illustration stating the advantage on the center mount and convergent vane design.

Thank you.

Edited by RB Brakes, 12 April 2012 - 10:20 PM.

Warren-RB

#16 RPM

RPM

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Thank you. Very informative. It would be interesting to see hard data on the cooling effects of this rotor design vs other standard designs.

#17 gilly6993

gilly6993

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3893 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the great review.....RB, looks like you make a great product and will be sure to get a set when my brakes need changing on my '12....

2016 Lava Orange Porsche GT3RS

2017 Grigio Silverstone GTC4Lusso

2013 Ferrari 458 Italia SOLD

2015 Porsche GT3 SOLD
2012 NIssan GTR SOLD

2008 Ferrari Scud SOLD

2009 Nissan GTR SOLD

2010 Dodge Viper ACR SOLD

2007 Corvette ZO6 SOLD
2005 Corvette Vert SOLD

#18 drbobbybones

drbobbybones

Bone Stock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

subscribed. Definitely thinking about slots and ET pads for when I need them.
2015 Jet Black Black Edition (daily driver)
2012 Jet Black Black Edition SOLD
2011 Audi Q5 (wife/kids)
2002 Subaru WRX TurboXS Stage 4 SOLD

#19 doba_s

doba_s

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Sakred, can you update us on your experience at the Buttonwillow ? Maybe some pictures of the pads after the track day ?

#20 doborder

doborder

Greyzilla activist

• PipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

I am interested as well
Did u just get the xt960 for the front?
2010 GTR Willall titanium midpipe, AP J hooks, Endless ME20, Whiteline Swaybar, HP Logic Road Course Tune
HKS Transmission cooler, ETS intercooler, Koyorad, Descratesfool engine oil cooler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users