96 replies to this topic

#41 Goodwood

Goodwood

Caretaker of GODZIRA!

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2679 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

What absolutely drives me batshit is when I get approached and asked about my car. After spouting off the usual specs, the inquirer then proceeds to tell me about a Jeep CJ (insert any POS $5k car), he rebuilt that now runs high 12's in the 1/4. Dude, I didn't ask about your car, you asked about mine! Why do I have to endure these mega-boring stories about them!? How can I get away w/o offending Gomer??

#42 audioenvy

audioenvy

NISMO Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5710 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

What absolutely drives me batshit is when I get approached and asked about my car. After spouting off the usual specs, the inquirer then proceeds to tell me about a Jeep CJ (insert any POS $5k car), he rebuilt that now runs high 12's in the 1/4. Dude, I didn't ask about your car, you asked about mine! Why do I have to endure these mega-boring stories about them!? How can I get away w/o offending Gomer??

You can say "wow, that's cool man! Congratulations." and then go about your way. You own a classy car; be a classy owner.
Flex fuel 8-second street car tuned by Bill @ SprayItRacing

#43 Barney Fife

Barney Fife

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

This is a great thread. I am astonished by the amount of attention my GT-R receives . . . far more than my Porsche.

On a related subject, do most GT-R owners leave or remove the rear Nissan badge?

Edited by Barney Fife, 18 July 2012 - 07:16 AM.

"There are three types of people in the world -- those who can count, and those who can't." ~Warren Buffet
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~Terry Pratchett

Motor Trend Magazine (June 2012): 2013 Nissan GT-R Black Edition vs. 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S Comparison (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1206_nissan_gt_r_black_edition_vs_porsche_911_turbo_s_comparison/viewall.html)
"We spent a great deal of time trying to figure out if the extra $71,000 you'd invest in the Porsche paid for anything objectively meaningful over the Nissan's still-lofty $107,600 base price. It doesn't, and even if money were left off the table, the 2013 GT-R is the better car."

2013 Nissan GT-R Black Edition, Gun Metal
2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S
2009 GMC Denali
2009 Porsche Cayman S (wife)
2012 Mini Cooper S (wife)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
2009 BMW E63 M6
2003 Porsche 996 Turbo, 720 AWHP

#44 jgardner

jgardner

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

In the first week of owning my GT-R I was approached by two different people who assumed it was some Mustang variant. Generally very few people know what the car is, that is unless they're a 13-30 year old male who grew up playing a lot of video games. The normal response at gas stations is that it's a unique looking car, but they don't know anything about the car. This isn't too surprising though, most people don't know anything more about vehicles then their approximate gas-mileage.
2012 Nissan GT-R | 2012 Nissan Juke | 2008 Acura MDX

#45 audioenvy

audioenvy

NISMO Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5710 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

I went two weeks without my GT-R while I was travelling and forgot about the attention. The last couple of days have reminded me.

My wife is NOT impressed at all. When we go out and people notice the car, she takes it as a sign that I should not have bought the car, LOL.
Flex fuel 8-second street car tuned by Bill @ SprayItRacing

#46 batman1820

batman1820

R33 Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

You can say "wow, that's cool man! Congratulations." and then go about your way. You own a classy car; be a classy owner.

+1
Posted Image

IG: omg_gtr_ Admin Socal GTRs FB: PM to join.

#47 alexdavis

alexdavis

SpecV Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3543 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

+1

Agreed, might as well be nice.

Maybe I'm in a different area of the Country, but I've never yet had anyone approach me with a misunderstanding as to what make and model my car is...and that's over 50 comments.

Alexd

bOeuB0b.jpg

2012 Gun-Metal GT-R Alpha 6 ([email protected]) originally tuned by Chris Black

Cobb, AAM mid-pipe, Gotboost 3", ID1000, FF manifold, 100 octane, stock DPs

Front camera, Whistler Remote, Reverse Beep eliminator, Running lights with headlights

Upgraded to Alpha 9 with MPSS tires: 9.7/148 all day

Fun to daily drive, thanks to AMS's Jacob Compton

UPDATED TO OMEGA 12, cannot race anymore at NHRA strips

#48 '11R35GnMtl

'11R35GnMtl

R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

I've had mine for only a few days, and I'm afraid someone's going to break their neck driving by when they realize what's parked in my driveway.

#49 Sukairain

Sukairain

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

On a related subject, do most GT-R owners leave or remove the rear Nissan badge?

Why would you remove the Nissan badge? Nissan built the GT-Rs - the heritage started back in the Prince Skyline days back in the 50's. I would remove the GT-R badge before taking out the Nissan badge.

2010 R35 GT-R pearl white - Daily Driver
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Cobb AP006 + Midpipe (Cobb Pro Tune)
Dynamat
Front/Rear Camera BL99

#50 EvilGTR21

EvilGTR21

24>23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1166 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

The funniest one was when someone actually thought my car was a mustang.

#51 dut

dut

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

I've had mine for only a few days, and I'm afraid someone's going to break their neck driving by when they realize what's parked in my driveway.

Yea, seriously. I see people going the other direction nearly stop and stick their head out the window looking back at my GTR. Lol.

Why would you remove the Nissan badge? Nissan built the GT-Rs - the heritage started back in the Prince Skyline days back in the 50's. I would remove the GT-R badge before taking out the Nissan badge.

I removed the Nissan badge the same day the car was delivered to my house. To me, it has nothing to do with "Nissan" but has to do with it being an eyesore. I'm thinking of removing the GTR badge as well, but still not sure on that.
FUUCCCC AAM

gtrlife_sig.jpg
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2015 Black Edition | Track Edition Front Lip | KW V3 Coilovers | Advan GT Wheels - Mag Blue | Asnu 1100cc Injectors | Asnu Fuel Pumps | GotBoost 3" Intakes With Repaired Broken Bracket | GotBoost FlexFuel Kit | Titek Downpipes | Custom resonated Mid Pipe | Custom Exhaust - Fuuuck AAM | Cobb AP 007 | E85 Flex Fuel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#52 franzcars

franzcars

GTR-KID

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

All of your stories make me so jelouis. We've had out GT-R since May 4,2012 and filled it up a couple time and never get any comments except me getting told im so lucky since im 15 and driving the a GTR. We've had maybe 10 people take pics on the road. We've put 1700+ miles on it so it's not like we dont drive it much
2013 Premium Deep Blue Pearl Gone but never forgotten, Memorial Day 2017
New GTR
2009 SS Jack's Built ETS 3582R. From Motown to The Lou, and we're proud CP/Carrillo/Linney 4.1L, GSC cams, Volk te37's, Fore triple, Carter Motorsports 2200's, Jacks custom Trans

#53 MarkG

MarkG

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

When I had to have my tint revised (thanks to a ticket from the local highway patrol), the guy who was doing the tint asked me about 5 times what kind of body kit was on my car. I finally was able to help him understand that it was not a 350z with a body kit, but a completely different car. Guess he wasn't much of a car guy.

I've also had this exchange several times when people come up to me:

"Wow, nice car!"

"Thanks."

"...........................................................What is it?"

And a few times I've seen people lean down to look at the badge. One time a guy got his face so close to the front badge I thought he was going to put his head through the grille.

Edited by MarkG, 09 July 2012 - 06:53 AM.

'17 GTR Premium Red/black
'17 Jaguar F-Type SVR Black/black
‘18 BMW X5M Donnington gray/black

#54 TheHitman™

TheHitman™

The World Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7254 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

Yea, seriously. I see people going the other direction nearly stop and stick their head out the window looking back at my GTR. Lol.

I removed the Nissan badge the same day the car was delivered to my house. To me, it has nothing to do with "Nissan" but has to do with it being an eyesore. I'm thinking of removing the GTR badge as well, but still not sure on that.

Why would you remove the GT-R badge?
hitman7.jpg

2016 Audi RS6

Violent Blue 2012 GT-R Black Edition (SOLD)
2009 GT-R Premium (Gone but not forgotten)

#55 dut

dut

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

Why would you remove the GT-R badge?

Complete the shaved look.

Posted Image

Posted Image
FUUCCCC AAM

gtrlife_sig.jpg
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2015 Black Edition | Track Edition Front Lip | KW V3 Coilovers | Advan GT Wheels - Mag Blue | Asnu 1100cc Injectors | Asnu Fuel Pumps | GotBoost 3" Intakes With Repaired Broken Bracket | GotBoost FlexFuel Kit | Titek Downpipes | Custom resonated Mid Pipe | Custom Exhaust - Fuuuck AAM | Cobb AP 007 | E85 Flex Fuel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#56 CR-8-10_GTR

CR-8-10_GTR

R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1116 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Awesome thread, enjoyed reading some of the posts as I can totally relate to it. I also get asked, "How fast have you driven it?" or "Is this the new Z?"
I think more girls are starting to notice. Just the other day outside of Lucky, a guy with his girlfriend were walking out and saw me walking to my car, she shouted out "Sweet car dude!" I often wondered why the car wasn't advertised more...but I guess it's not really needed. It would be nice if it was the feature car in a new car movie, though...
But of course, along with all of the attention it gets, it does get a lot of negative attention as well. Folks want to steal your wheels, key your car, etc...
2010 Nissan GT-R, Gun Metal "Gigi", Premium - current, Mods: HKS Legamax Resonated Midpipe, Clear Front Side Markers, Full Car Clear Bra, Tinted Windows, Stillen Front Skid Plate, HKS Drop In Air Filters, Cobb AP w/TCM, 2012 Turbo Inlets
2014 Chevrolet Volt White "Daily Driver" - current
2005 Honda Accord Silver "Daily Driver" DX - sold 2014
1994 Mazda RX-7 White "Imogen", PEP - sold 2009
1995 Honda Integra Red - sold 2008
1990 Nissan R32 Skyline Silver GTS - sold 2008
1990 Nissan R32 Skyline Charcoal GTS - sold 2008
1990 Dodge Neon, White "Daily Driver" - sold 2006

#57 Goodwood

Goodwood

Caretaker of GODZIRA!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2679 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

Just to be clear, I've never brushed someone off as they were telling their story. I stand there and take it, although I do need a way to get on my way. Don't want them coming back and keying my car later 'cause they thought I was a prick! :wink: Maybe I'll try your suggestion.

#58 the King

the King

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6078 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Those who shave the badge, would you shave the leaping or prancing horse.
Tommi Makinen Edition aka Evolution 6.5: full GSR trim, Coilovers.

#59 TheHitman™

TheHitman™

The World Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7254 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

As far as this thread, I bet some of you guys have seen my thread about the kid who hit me and the Cop who put my car on the police report as a 375z. LOL
hitman7.jpg

2016 Audi RS6

Violent Blue 2012 GT-R Black Edition (SOLD)
2009 GT-R Premium (Gone but not forgotten)

#60 228gtr

228gtr

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

I went two weeks without my GT-R while I was travelling and forgot about the attention. The last couple of days have reminded me.

My wife is NOT impressed at all. When we go out and people notice the car, she takes it as a sign that I should not have bought the car, LOL.

my wife says the exact same thing. They must be sisters from another mother.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users