99 replies to this topic

#1 gyoja

gyoja

SpecV Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

I've been on the phone all day today with various departments at Chevron throughout Canada and the US. I eventually got a hold of a person that took the time to listen to the issues we've been having with our vehicles and the 94 octane Chevron fuel here in BC. He asked that I put an email together and forward the information we've gathered to him so that we can start documenting the problem to get the appropriate people in Chevron to provide a response.

So, here's what I can document so far.

- I have a 2012 GT-R that I've filled up with BC Chevron 94 since brand new as there are no other 94 octane alternatives.
- I usually fill up at the stations in North Vancouver, but occasionally at other chevron stations throughout the lower mainland
- I've encountered low boost mode on several occasions in the past 4 months while the car was completely stock
- Nissan service techs have said that there is nothing they can do to help with the safe mode issues - the problem from their point of view is the gasoline
- I've recently tuned my vehicle on cobb 91 octane stage 1 and from datalogs it looks like the vehicle continues to go into safe mode
- Response from various tuners have been that BC Chevron 94 underperforms compared to west coast 91 octane fuel in the US

I know of a few other GT-R owners at this point that have had similar issues (Tman, Nitrouz, DMG Godzilla, Goush'zGTR, Freezeg35st/srt8, to name a few), but if you've encountered similar issues, please let me know. I really need to get as much info as you have on your own trials and tribulations with BC Chevron 94 octane

Thanks,
Amir

Edited by wankeldude, 12 September 2012 - 01:51 PM.

2012 GT-R Black Edition
3.8 10:1CR built by Bill and Tommy at Indy Speed Shop
Heads by Curt Brown, Pocket port, Kelford 231-A-K2 cams, Tomei springs
AAM GT1200R - GTX3076
AAM Race Intercooler
Billet gears1-6
Fore Innovations triple walbro 485
ID2000
SD Flex Tuned by Ben Linney
1116whp Mustang 34psi E80

#2 Nitrouz

Nitrouz

R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1550 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

our Chevron 94 has 0 ethenol. Back when I had a GTR and I was datalogging for a custom tune, I tried all the different pump gas brands...best I found was the Husky 94 which is not available anymore unfortunately. This is due to Husky having the 94 octane WITH ethenol, which is a knock deterrent (hence the high boost capabilities of E85 in the states). Since then it was always Chevron 94, but can't even run the 91 octane canned map with the Cobb AP. So I ended up going across the border to point roberts once a week to fuel up.

Edited by Nitrouz, 12 September 2012 - 01:31 PM.

2013 FBO E85 FF Racerom Phase4 GTR - Masterfully tuned by Ben Linney (GTC Racing Technology)

#3 Tman

Tman

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1469 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

Thats been my struggle since day one, thats why we are planning to have Jack fly out here to tune our cars.
Our fuel simply put-sucks!!!

2009 SS. Full bolt-ons,T1r sleeve kit, Cusco sway bars etc.(sold)
2010 SWITZER-USE/Syvecs, 2014 trans/diff.(sold)
2012 BE, Blue.(sold)
2015 BE, gm.

2016 Nismo, black.

#4 gyoja

gyoja

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

so why don't we add our own pure ethanol to the 94 octane chevron fuel? put in 6 litres pure ethanol for every 54 litres of chevron 94?
2012 GT-R Black Edition
AAM GT1200R - GTX3076
AAM Race Intercooler
Billet gears1-6
ID2000

#5 FrankyGTR

FrankyGTR

WHITE NINJA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4183 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

the 94 at petro canada has up to 10% ethanol
are you a GTR owner? join the owners facebook group,just ask me (3) Franky Gtr Love

#6 gyoja

gyoja

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

there is no other source of 94 octane fuel in BC. The highest "mainstream" fuel octane outside of chevron 94 is 91 octane. Petro can and Husky both pulled 94 octane out of BC.
We've also tried a few "no-name" stations with 92 octane as well with no luck.

We are thinking either the problem is fuel that has been sitting at the station for too long (since obviously BC consumers don't use enough 94 octane) or the fact that chevron 94 has zero ethanol.
Given the rigorous testing and analysis at the refineries and terminals, I highly doubt the fuel is anything other than what is advertised, but maybe it's just been sitting for too long and destabilizing a bit?
2012 GT-R Black Edition
AAM GT1200R - GTX3076
AAM Race Intercooler
Billet gears1-6
ID2000

#7 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8883 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

so why don't we add our own pure ethanol to the 94 octane chevron fuel? put in 6 litres pure ethanol for every 54 litres of chevron 94?

Hmmm.......
Redemption 2.0 Tuned by Ben Linney = Smooth as Fawk!!
Switzer 90mmSS Exhaust = Loud as Fawk!!

#8 The Stig

The Stig

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

That, or maybe add some MP109 with every tank, as long as that won't compromise our fuel system.

In any event, good on your for spearheading this Amir, it's something that will benefit us all if we can figure out the optimal source/solution.

Edited by The Stig, 12 September 2012 - 02:48 PM.

Some say that I break into people’s houses at night and leave two mysterious extra keys in a kitchen drawer.

And that as a result of buying Pirelli condoms this week, I now have seventeen children.

All we know is, I'm called The Stig

#9 bdub

bdub

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

I tried using 91 oct chevron and found that it produces alot better compared to 94. However, since i have upgraded turbos i'm just going with the USA chevron 92 for now. Amir, you can add me on the list as well. I've had my turbo parts for a year and spent thousands of dollars diagnosing what caused the knocking issues on my car, only to find out that it was the fuel. I have done everything from changing my bell housing to replacing 02 sensors and other crap.

Anyways, point of my post is, you guys should: TRY CHEVRON 91 OCT if you are unable to get 92 from WA.

#10 gyoja

gyoja

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

thanks bdub. Will be datalogging 91 octane as soon as I can empty my tank of the 94 octane.
2012 GT-R Black Edition
AAM GT1200R - GTX3076
AAM Race Intercooler
Billet gears1-6
ID2000

#11 The Stig

The Stig

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

I wonder if there's a difference between Husky 91 with Ethanol, and Chevron 91 with Ethanol?
Some say that I break into people’s houses at night and leave two mysterious extra keys in a kitchen drawer.

And that as a result of buying Pirelli condoms this week, I now have seventeen children.

#12 gyoja

gyoja

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

I am fixin to try all fuels and datalog. Will know which one is the best based on timing, a/f ratio and fuel trim.
2012 GT-R Black Edition
AAM GT1200R - GTX3076
AAM Race Intercooler
Billet gears1-6
ID2000

#13 Nitrouz

Nitrouz

R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1550 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

I tried using 91 oct chevron and found that it produces alot better compared to 94. However, since i have upgraded turbos i'm just going with the USA chevron 92 for now. Amir, you can add me on the list as well. I've had my turbo parts for a year and spent thousands of dollars diagnosing what caused the knocking issues on my car, only to find out that it was the fuel. I have done everything from changing my bell housing to replacing 02 sensors and other crap.

Anyways, point of my post is, you guys should: TRY CHEVRON 91 OCT if you are unable to get 92 from WA.

Brian, who tuned your car with what fuel initially after the turbo upgrade?
2013 FBO E85 FF Racerom Phase4 GTR - Masterfully tuned by Ben Linney (GTC Racing Technology)

#14 bdub

bdub

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Ben Linney tuned my car with 92oct from WA.

#15 DGDS88T

DGDS88T

Stealth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Why not just use Shell v-power? You have 91 tune anyways. Try the v-power for a while so you can be sure the safe mode issue it's cause by the fuel. Or better, get a custom tune with chevron 94. DBA gt-rs are known to have the safe mode issue.

Edited by DGDS88T, 13 September 2012 - 04:29 PM.

10' ZR1-Sold
12' Black BE- Traded
08' G35xS - DD

#16 gyoja

gyoja

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

Why not just use Shell v-power? You have 91 tune anyways. Try the v-power for a while so you can be sure the safe mode issue it's cause by the fuel. Or better, get a custom tune with chevron 94. DBA gt-rs are known to have the safe mode issue.

I've had some bad luck with Shell in the past, but will definitely be adding it to the list of fuels I try and datalog with.
So far today I filled up with 91 octane Petrocan w/ethanol and went and did some logging. No safe mode issues at 15 or 16 psi were logged. I also briefly ran 17psi without any problems. So there may definitely be something to this 91 octane with ethanol thing.

i wish so much that husky 94 with ethanol was still around! :-(
2012 GT-R Black Edition
AAM GT1200R - GTX3076
AAM Race Intercooler
Billet gears1-6
ID2000

#17 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8883 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

i wish so much that husky 94 with ethanol was still around! :-(

Time for BC's first E85 station ;) lmao

#18 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8883 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

I am fixin to try all fuels and datalog. Will know which one is the best based on timing, a/f ratio and fuel trim.

I'm curios to find out how the Supersave 92 octane did in comparison to the rest of the 91's with ethanol especially with what you had mentioned about all the gas coming from the same refinery.

Edited by **DMG Godzilla**, 14 September 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#19 Church

Church

Sophisticated

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2980 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Chevron is the WORST fuel for high performance cars. It is a good fuel for keeping your engine internals clean, but not for power. The detergents in the gas cause detonation at high power levels.

Mobil has ALWAYS produced the most hp in every car I have owned an dyno'd. Sunoco is a close second.

#20 The Stig

The Stig

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

I'm curios to find out how the Supersave 92 octane did in comparison to the rest of the 91's with ethanol especially with what you had mentioned about all the gas coming from the same refinery.

I tried Supersave 92 for a few tankfuls, and still had a few Low Boost Events unfortunately. But a more objective analysis would be good, I agree.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users