The goal of my build is to make 580+whp for under $3K so I will be providing pricing information and detailed pictures for each step. Below is my mod list and build plan:
- DIY 3" intake with high flow filters ($170)
- DIY 3.5" exhaust (from Cobb midpipe to stock exhaust where it splits into two) ($186)
- Cobb AccessTUNER Race ($695)
- Baseline tune - ME TUNED
- ID1000cc injectors ($375 shipped - used 2400 miles)
- Denso 265lph pumps ($300 shipped)
- Baseline dyno run on Dynojet
- Curt Brown Ported 2013 turbo inlets ($450)
- Curt Brown Ported intake manifold ($500)
- Tune - ME TUNED
- Dyno run on Dynojet (before/after results with Curt Brown ported components)
- DIY front mount intercooler
- DIY intercooler piping
- Tune - ME TUNED
- Dyno run on Dynojet (final results)
So I started the build today with the DIY 3" intake with the components as follows:
- two 3" 30deg mandrel bent aluminum tubes (purchased from CX Racing Ebay store for $60 shipped)
- two 45deg silicone transition tubes 60mm to 76mm (purchased from best.racing-building Ebay store for $29 shipped)
- two used K&N RU-5111 filtes from forum member ($30 shipped, used for mockup and determining custom filter size)
- two aluminum MAF flanges from GM# 19166574 ($26 from GM)
TOTAL COST: $170 (assuming new RU-5111 filters - $55)
The quality of the tubes from CX Racing are top notch and come polished.
I started on the drivers side by removing the stock intake box. In order to gain clearance for the silicone tube you need to flip the harness connector so that it places the harness on the backside of the bracket as shown below.
I then installed the 45deg coupler and installed the tube to determine fit. The aluminum tubes come with ~9" legs and the leg on the turbo side is left alone and I only needed to cut the filter side. The tube is a 30deg bend, but to make it come out the front perfectly straight it would need to be ~26-27deg bend. No big deal as it just angle the filter front towards the center of the car or you can use a 3-4deg cut to make the filter face straight. I will be running the filters slightly angled as it creates more room for a longer filter.
For the driver's side pipe I had to cut off ~2.5" to make the filter fit.
Made a simple cut and the intake is done (minus maf) so you can see the outcome below.
On to the passenger side pipe using the same approach. The only difference is that I had to modify the bracket holding the harness and ground wire. Essentially, I cut the bracket to shorten it and then TIG'd it back together to gain clearance for the silicone coupler.
Repeated the cutting and fitting for the passenger side pipe.
I have a total of 2hrs invested at this point which included removing and reinstalling the stock airboxes. I will weld on the flanges Friday to show the finished product. The next mod will be injectors and pumps.
Edited by 240Z TwinTurbo, 26 February 2014 - 09:26 PM.