102 replies to this topic

#1 underpressure

underpressure

www.goturnstop.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

Will post up a more detailed procedure later tonight but for now.....

Dead soldiers everywhere

Posted Image

#2 Kunani

Kunani

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

Did you happen to see where the hoses connect to the transmission (for installing a trans cooler in series)? If so, what size are the connections and what type are they. Curious before I tear everything down before ordering a trans cooler.

#3 underpressure

underpressure

www.goturnstop.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:23 PM

Did you happen to see where the hoses connect to the transmission (for installing a trans cooler in series)? If so, what size are the connections and what type are they. Curious before I tear everything down before ordering a trans cooler.

There is an adapter plate which feeds the oil filter sized heat exchanger. Water/oil. So no direct plumbing connection. The connection is made via bosses/receiver holes w/ o-rings. I am working on making an adapter w/ thermostat built in, as I firmly believe this trans would benefit from some additional cooling.

Posted Image

Edited by underpressure, 08 September 2008 - 06:27 PM.

#4 wefordus

wefordus

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

How many quarts of transmission oil did it take? (6 as the photo shows?)

Was it what the shop manual states? (I thought that was 10.)

Edited by wefordus, 08 September 2008 - 08:10 PM.

weford
Houston, TX
Delivered 8-22-08 Gun Metal Premium GT-R with iPod & floor mats

#5 underpressure

underpressure

www.goturnstop.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:01 PM

How many quarts of transmission oil did it take? (6 as the photo shows?)

Was it what the shop manual states? (I thought that was 10.)

The shop manual states 10.5 quarts and the procedure is really weird.
here is the FSM layout.

Draining:
1.Remove the front diffuser. Refer to Exploded View.
2.Remove the heat insulator.
3.Remove the filler plug

(Posted Image).
4.Remove the drain plug (1) and drain tube (2) from the oil pan, and then drain the transmission oil.
Posted Image
5.Install the drain tube to the oil pan. Refer to Exploded View.
When I removed the drain plug no fluid more than a drop came out. Once I removed the drain tube the trans fluid flowed for quite a while as it drained. So what that says to me is the fluid level is set by the height of the drain tube.

Filling:

1.Remove the filler plug

(Posted Image)

and drain plug, and then fill with the transmission oil until it leaks from the drain hole.
  • Transmission oil
    : Refer to General Specification.

■ CAUTION ■
  • Always use the specified transmission oil. In addition, always use the filler after cleaning. If use/mixed use/misuse of the transmission oil other than the specified brand occurs, the original performance cannot be obtained or it may cause serious malfunctions.
  • Check that dust does not mix.
  • Always use paper towels. Never use waste cloth.

2.Install the filler plug and drain plug. Refer to Exploded View (filler plug), Exploded View (drain plug).
3.Start the engine and select the M range.
4.With depressing the brake pedal, shift the paddle shifter to the N range → M range, 1st gear (wait for 5 seconds) → M range, 2nd gear (wait for 5 seconds) → M range, 1st gear → N range at idle.
5.Stop the engine.
6.Remove the filler plug and drain plug, and then fill with the transmission oil until it leaks from the drain hole.
7.Install the filler plug and drain plug. Refer to Exploded View (filler plug), Exploded View (drain plug).
8.Install the heat insulator.
9.Start the engine and run it at idle. Run the engine until the oil temperature reaches 50C (122F) while checking FLUID TEMP in "DATA MONITOR" of CONSULT-III.
10.With depressing the brake pedal, shift the paddle shifter to the N range → M range, 1st gear (wait for 5 seconds) → M range, 2nd gear (wait for 5 seconds) → M range, 1st gear → N range at idle.
11.Stop the engine and wait for 5 minutes.
  • 12.Remove the drain plug. Install the drain plug when the transmission oil begins to drip (1 drop/1 second). Refer to Exploded View. ■ CAUTION ■
  • Perform from step 11 to step 12 within 25 minutes.
  • Repeat the procedure from step 6 if the transmission oil does not leak from the drain hole.
  • Never reuse drain plug.

13.Replace the filler plug gasket with new ones. ■ CAUTION ■Never reuse filler plug gasket.
14.Install the front diffuser. Refer to Exploded View.
Translation:
Install the drain tube and drain plug. Fill until fluid reaches the fill port. Replace fill plug. Run and cycle transmission. Then remove drain plug to remove excess fluid, allow level to drop to drain tube level. Replace plug. All good.

Well here in the interesting part. It took ~11qts of trans fluid to get to where there was overflow out the fill port. I then opened the drain plug expecting it to dribble for just a couple seconds. Oh no... started to recapture the fluid in empty bottles, got almost 4 qts back out of the trans before the fluid level reached the drain tube.
So I have no legitimate reason other than Nissan wants to make damn sure the trans oil pump it thoroughly submerged for the transmission to take 10.5 qts on a change. Then dump 4 qts or better back out of the trans. Otherwise this is the greatest marketing service ploy in the world to pad the bill. Throw away 4 qts @ 79.99/qt.
I am double checking everything in the morning then loading up to head to Mid-Ohio for NASA NAtionals. But best I can figure only 6 maybe 7 quarts of the magic trans fluid are needed for a routine change.

#6 Arch5

Arch5

NAGTROC design team

• Media
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2827 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

Will post up a more detailed procedure later tonight but for now.....

Dead soldiers everywhere

Posted Image

LOL! You're supposed to put the oil "in" the transmission...not on the ground.

:) j/k

I'm sure it's a bit of a pain without some sort of pumping system.

#7 underpressure

underpressure

www.goturnstop.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:09 AM

Yeah there is about $5 seeping into the concrete there.

Edited by underpressure, 09 September 2008 - 12:09 AM.

#8 MindlessOath

MindlessOath

NISMO Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11288 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:57 AM

http://blogs.yahoo.c...g/25406508.html
Garage Saurus are doing some MT cooling too. its just the begining but they say it gets really hot and needs help (it was hot on fuji speedway at least).

looks like they have to do some data on the presures because of the design of the whole thing... but well see what they come up with.

also as sewid said the cooler on the 24hour nismo R35 and the cooler going to be offered by zele is for the transfer case, not the actuall trans oil, and nismo made a custom difuser to direct airflow into it.

#9 Neoseven

Neoseven

SpecV Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

AS far as fluid change amount for the DCT mine took in 7 quarts before it hit the specified level, or drops per second out of the drain tube.

About this fluid, and man is it expensive, although, the shocker, dealer cost is approx $46 per quart so they have a steep markup, more than any I have seen per bottle of fluid. My dealer wants $90 per quart, looks like undepressure is paying around $80 per quart.

Anyone know where to get this liquid gold by the drum instead of these baby bottles? I like to change my fluids before and after each track outing for street cars that double with track duty. Same for the engine oil. Diff fluids I can deal with in small quantities, but I wouldn't mind a drum of that as well.

#10 underpressure

underpressure

www.goturnstop.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:25 PM

AS far as fluid change amount for the DCT mine took in 7 quarts before it hit the specified level, or drops per second out of the drain tube.

About this fluid, and man is it expensive, although, the shocker, dealer cost is approx $46 per quart so they have a steep markup, more than any I have seen per bottle of fluid. My dealer wants $90 per quart, looks like undepressure is paying around $80 per quart.

Anyone know where to get this liquid gold by the drum instead of these baby bottles? I like to change my fluids before and after each track outing for street cars that double with track duty. Same for the engine oil. Diff fluids I can deal with in small quantities, but I wouldn't mind a drum of that as well.

Retail is $80/qt. No where near what I paid. :lmfao:
The 10quarts called for by the FSM seems to be there mainly to help bolster the Dealer's bottom line.

Edited by underpressure, 13 October 2008 - 11:28 PM.

#11 wefordus

wefordus

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:03 AM

I see the trans fuild for less than $58 here:

http://www.thenismos...roduct_id=13133
weford
Houston, TX

#12 BamBam

BamBam

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:52 PM

Well, I am not sure myself.
But I brought this thread up to my GT-R service manager after I got hit with the huge bill for my last service.
He SWEARS it takes 10 quarts physically, not just in some cleansing process or anything. When I continued to disagree, he agreeded to cut the cost of 4 of the quarts out of my service charge, but stil swore up and down the tranny takes 10 quarts.

R32 Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for the site. Much better price. Also sells car cover, clear markers etc...
Does anyone know if the Nissan dealers will let us bring the fluids to change by their technicians.
Cheers.

I see the trans fuild for less than $58 here:

http://www.thenismos...roduct_id=13133

Edited by outofmoney, 19 October 2008 - 03:12 PM.

#14 davidm_sh

davidm_sh

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

Does anyone know if the Nissan dealers will let us bring the fluids to change by their technicians.
Cheers.

I asked the dealer near me that exact question along with 'will it affect labor rates' and they said it was fine to bring in the fluids and only have to pay the same labor rate.

#15 Jooyoung99

Jooyoung99

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

Underpressure. THANK YOU SO MUCH for this post.

The dealer charged my $1,400 for the first Transmission Fluid change. Now I got it down to $655 by bringing my own fluids and only buying 7 quarts instead of 10.

Thanks again.

Jason

#16 underpressure

underpressure

www.goturnstop.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

Underpressure. THANK YOU SO MUCH for this post.

The dealer charged my $1,400 for the first Transmission Fluid change. Now I got it down to $655 by bringing my own fluids and only buying 7 quarts instead of 10.

Thanks again.

Jason

Glad I could help. That price still seems very inflated though.

#17 Jooyoung99

Jooyoung99

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:35 AM

Glad I could help. That price still seems very inflated though.

When you're saying price seems inflated, are you referring to $1,400 or $655?

#18 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2362 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

Stupid question. How can you tell if the fluid level is at the drain tube? The tube is inserted into the oil pan, can you see it from the oil filler hole?

2018 SCCA Solo National Super Street 3rd Loser

Always looking for sponsorship to help out on events entry (autox/hpde) and such. Please PM me if interested. Super Street 09 GTR #924 / A Street Prepared 06 Evo #924

Follow me on Instagram: @garytsuikk

Subscribe to my youtube channel: https://www.youtube....LHxYspyZZxJZdYA

#19 wefordus

wefordus

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

You remove the tranmission drain plug. If fluid drips out at 1 drop per second then the level is correct.

To drain you remove the tube which is up inside the drain plug hole.

Edited by wefordus, 08 January 2009 - 01:38 PM.

weford
Houston, TX

#20 jmunjr

jmunjr

NISMO Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5184 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

The shop manual states 10.5 quarts and the procedure is really weird.
here is the FSM layout.

Well here in the interesting part. It took ~11qts of trans fluid to get to where there was overflow out the fill port. I then opened the drain plug expecting it to dribble for just a couple seconds. Oh no... started to recapture the fluid in empty bottles, got almost 4 qts back out of the trans before the fluid level reached the drain tube.
So I have no legitimate reason other than Nissan wants to make damn sure the trans oil pump it thoroughly submerged for the transmission to take 10.5 qts on a change. Then dump 4 qts or better back out of the trans. Otherwise this is the greatest marketing service ploy in the world to pad the bill. Throw away 4 qts @ 79.99/qt.
I am double checking everything in the morning then loading up to head to Mid-Ohio for NASA NAtionals. But best I can figure only 6 maybe 7 quarts of the magic trans fluid are needed for a routine change.

Ok so I got to ask about those who are only using ~6.5 quarts to change their tranny fluid. For practical purposes is all the old fluid purged? Is the 6.5 quarts actually the amount needed?

Basically if I go to my dealer and say here is 7 quarts do the change what is going to happen? I'm all about saving money but I want it done right too.
2009 Nissan GT-R, Premium Edition, Gunmetal/Black, Clear front & rear markers, HKS resonated mid-pipe, JRZ RS Pro Silent Coilovers, Forged sway bars, Alcon Superkit BBK, Kognition rear wing, Aeromotions front splitter, BSE transmission cooler, DIY front brake cooling ducts, flatulence-infused seat cushions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users