Photo
- - - - -

Brainstorming some Audio Upgrade ideas...

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 MMC Racing

MMC Racing

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

Since most of us have Premium, this will be for upgrading the Bose "Premium" system which constists of 11 speakers. Here are the details:

Speaker Loc. Size Mounting Depth
Front Speaker 6.5 4
Front Speaker 3.25 2.85
Front Tweeter 1 1
Rear Speaker 3.25 3
Center Speaker 3.25 3
Subwoofer 9 3.5
Subwoofer 9 3.5

So I think we have some obvious choices here. Upfront, replace the 3 way setup in the doors with a high quality 3 way component set. I'm thinking focal or dynaudio - but insert your favorite brand. We'll need an amplifier to run these and depending on the crossover in the 3 way setup, we may be able to bi-amp the component set. That would be my first choice with a quality amplifier around 100x4rms.

As for the subs, I would scrap the current configuration completely. The left rear corner of the trunk has a lot of room to do a single 12" sub in a fiberglass enclosure. This maintains the most amount of trunk space, but would exclude putting a golf bag back there. For the golfer, I'm thinking a single rear firing 10 or 12" sub. I'm not a golfer, so off to the corner for me. To power this sub, I'll match it up with the correct sized amplifier, say a JL Audio 500/1. I would probably build up the trunk floor just enough to hold the amps and crossovers - with panels to hide them.

Example of side mounted sub - this is from a G35 coupe:
Posted Image

To interface with the factory radio, I'm thinking JL Audio Cleansweep or equiv.

Now the wild card is what do with the center speaker and the rear speakers. My first thought is to upgrade the driver, but leave it powered by the Bose amplifier. These are the areas I'm most unsure of right now.

So this is meant to be brainstorming.. Feel free to comment on what I posted or just lay out the upgrades you were planning.

-Mark

Edited by MMC Racing, 22 December 2008 - 03:29 PM.

2015 GT-R Deep Blue Pearl Premium

SOLD

#2 MikelMarion

MikelMarion

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

Do you know how much the stock speakers weigh each?

#3 MMC Racing

MMC Racing

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

Here is the system lay out from the service manual:

Posted Image

SOLD

#4 MMC Racing

MMC Racing

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:27 PM

Do you know how much the stock speakers weigh each?

No clue, but history tells me very little. Anything aftermarket will weigh more.

SOLD

#5 MMC Racing

MMC Racing

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:54 PM

After talking over options with a local car audio shop, I'm now thinking:

1 JL Audio 10w7 sub side mounted in fiberglass/MDF enclosure similar to above
1 JL Audio HD750/1 amplifier to run the sub
1 JL Audio HD600/4 amplifier to run the component set(s)
Boston Acoustics Pro60SE component set (dumping the current 3-way config)
Boston Acoustics Neo Type-M Imaging System
A line driver from AudioControl - probably a LC8
Dynamat as needed

I will probably dump the center channel speaker all together and only add back rear speakers if needed.

-Mark

SOLD

#6 Arch5

Arch5

NAGTROC design team

• Media
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2827 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:22 AM

Nice choices. I love Boston Acoustics!!! Had a set of Pro series for years. The clarity and quality is top notch. Their home speakers are incredible too.

#7 Neoseven

Neoseven

SpecV Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Interesting thread. Haven't seen anyone else actually discussing modifying the stock stereo system.

MMC, you really, really should check out ebay. There are a ton of knock-offs available there, and you can save yourself some big $. You can save yourself all that money, and it will look, and it might even sound just like the real thing. Who knows, it might even sound better. Maybe the Taiwanese companies that make the copies have "improved" on the original. Most of the time, you can't even tell the copy from the fake till you put them side by side. Not sure if you can get your knock-off amps there, but you can definitely get all those speakers you are going to require for at least half price, or less.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your sound system upgrade.

#8 MMC Racing

MMC Racing

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:08 PM

Interesting thread. Haven't seen anyone else actually discussing modifying the stock stereo system.

MMC, you really, really should check out ebay. There are a ton of knock-offs available there, and you can save yourself some big $. You can save yourself all that money, and it will look, and it might even sound just like the real thing. Who knows, it might even sound better. Maybe the Taiwanese companies that make the copies have "improved" on the original. Most of the time, you can't even tell the copy from the fake till you put them side by side. Not sure if you can get your knock-off amps there, but you can definitely get all those speakers you are going to require for at least half price, or less.

Childish

SOLD

#9 jaspergtr

jaspergtr

NISMO Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7390 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

mmc - haved you considered the jl free air sub at the stock location?

#10 MMC Racing

MMC Racing

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

mmc - haved you considered the jl free air sub at the stock location?

There have only been a few free air setups that I have liked over the years. I haven't pulled the stock mounting bracket yet, but I'd worry about trying to put 2 quality 8's in there. The bose speakers I'm familiar with are always very shallow with small baskets and I expect that to be the case in the GT-R. I'm sure a new mounting system could be done to fit 1 aftermarket 8" free air sub, but I doubt I'd get the impact I'm seeking.

For people concerned about weight, I'd go with a premade enclosure that you strap in the back. Make everything quick release so you can remove it on track days. Go with digital amps like JL's HD line or Alpines PDX line that are small and light.

-Mark

SOLD

#11 Neoseven

Neoseven

SpecV Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

Childish

Oh, sorry about that, I thought copies were a good thing.

#12 MMC Racing

MMC Racing

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:13 AM

Oh, sorry about that, I thought copies were a good thing.

This is what it looks like when you try to draw parallels between your exhaust crusade and other products:
Posted Image

In high end car audio, we care about sound and performance, not superficial looks. "Copies" on looks (what you are trying to parallel) never perform.

SOLD

#13 Justice

Justice

Sobchak Security

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3531 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:43 AM

DIYaudio might have some useful info. I'm a member over there.
14 Premium White/Red 2100 miles (for sale)
14 Premium Gray/Red 4700 miles (for sale)

#14 Neoseven

Neoseven

SpecV Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:40 PM

In high end car audio, we care about sound and performance, not superficial looks. "Copies" on looks (what you are trying to parallel) never perform.

Superficial looks. :cheers: :biggrin: Yeah, in the car world, we don't car how our cars look, nor how the parts we bolt onto our cars look.

Where as car audio products are important to you and copies are not acceptable, car performance parts are important to me and copies are not acceptable.

Or we could say, where as car audio products are important to you and copies are not acceptable, but car performance parts, not so important to you and copies are acceptable.

It's not just copies on looks anyway, although like any copy that is a part of it. I have seen references regarding speakers, on more than one occasion where copies outperformed or performed as well as the real thing at a fraction of the cost. That doesn't make it right for these Taiwanese companies to do this, but it still happens.

Edited by Neoseven, 25 December 2008 - 01:41 PM.

#15 chicagogtr

chicagogtr

R32 Member

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

:cheers: :biggrin:

+1

Edited by chicagogtr, 25 December 2008 - 06:06 PM.

#16 jaspergtr

jaspergtr

NISMO Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7390 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:20 PM

mmc - i was referring to the 6 1/2" jl free air sub that just came out a few months ago...

and neo - there is absolutely no parallel here, as the audio components are graded by performance only. nothing more. if you like the way it sounds (regardless if it's a copy - radioshack has to make a living too), it is the best for you. typically the better performing parts cost more. not the other way around (as in your topic of discussion).

that's like comparing a basic colt 911 to a kimber. the original would be the colt. the 'copy' would be the kimber, and out of the box, almost (all things being equivalent) all kimbers are better. somehow colt is still in business.

i could go on and on... but performance usually sets the price. quality is subjective. performance is proven and demands a premium.

Edited by jaspergtr, 25 December 2008 - 06:21 PM.

#17 Ev0H8t3r

Ev0H8t3r

GOTZIRA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:26 PM

this is not a top priority now, but keep me posted...would like to do this 2-3 years down the road...

#18 Neoseven

Neoseven

SpecV Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:41 PM

mmc - i was referring to the 6 1/2" jl free air sub that just came out a few months ago...

and neo - there is absolutely no parallel here, as the audio components are graded by performance only. nothing more. if you like the way it sounds (regardless if it's a copy - radioshack has to make a living too), it is the best for you. typically the better performing parts cost more. not the other way around (as in your topic of discussion).

that's like comparing a basic colt 911 to a kimber. the original would be the colt. the 'copy' would be the kimber, and out of the box, almost (all things being equivalent) all kimbers are better. somehow colt is still in business.

i could go on and on... but performance usually sets the price. quality is subjective. performance is proven and demands a premium.

Oh yeah, looks aren't important in the audio world. If this is true, better hide all of the speaker faces. I've seem some pretty ugly designs out there, speakers you would never find me putting in one of my show/street cars to save my life based on looks alone. Yeah, speakers like everything else have a cosmetic side. So do amps. Have you been to a car show in the last decade? :cheers:

Here is a home audio reference for you. Remember as you view these pages, it's all about performance, looks have nothing to do with it. :biggrin:

http://www.soundandv...f-speakers.html

Me, now that I've seen them, I got my eye on those Infinitys.

The looks mean nothing story is getting old. Looks mean a lot and are a big part of the decision making process. Every manufacturer of any consumer product realizes this.

Nice analogy for the 1911 pistol, but actually, not really. The Colt 1911, designed by Browning, is a legendary hand gun that give's roots to a lot more than just more 1911's. It's actually a hand gun I know very well. Kimber isn't the only company making a 1911. If am am buying a custom version of the 1911, it's not going to be a Kimber, but you can bet, it will be a custom, including the looks.

Edited by Neoseven, 25 December 2008 - 11:46 PM.

#19 Prado

Prado

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:51 AM

I think the car is a little noisy to start with. Hence I did a full sound insulation and some upgrade. So far, love the sound.

Would love to share the setup with all for reference My Setup

Feel free to comment

Edited by Prado, 26 December 2008 - 09:09 PM.

#20 GTRGGHH

GTRGGHH

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:44 AM

Nice analogy for the 1911 pistol, but actually, not really. The Colt 1911, designed by Browning, is a legendary hand gun that give's roots to a lot more than just more 1911's. It's actually a hand gun I know very well. Kimber isn't the only company making a 1911. If am am buying a custom version of the 1911, it's not going to be a Kimber, but you can bet, it will be a custom, including the looks.

Wow...there's finally one thing I found I could see eye to eye with you, Neo. Let me know if you are ever interested in a custom 1911 steel gun (Caspian frame), and a 6 inch slide Damascus slide/Ti recon frame(caspian parts, too), or a small custom Harrison Custom Commander size high polish blue slide, matte blue frame based on Nighthawk Custom Talon. Of course there are a lot other details on all these pieces....I'm now hoping to sell off my other hobby to support GT-R upgrade fund. :)

At the end of the day, I might just keep a custom built full size 1911 I got from EGW and my custom Smith revolver for my handgun collection. I doubt my wife is ever going to enjoy that one gun I built for her. Might as well get some money out of them if I could.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users