Photo
- - - - -

Early on-road perf numbers for Switzer P700 GTR kit...

50 replies to this topic

#1 TymSwitzer

TymSwitzer

R32 Member

• International Vendor
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

Hello all... many of you have been in contact with us regarding our P700 kit for the GTR.

For those of you that were curious as to how the car was going to perform on the road... spool up, etc... I put a Video Vbox (we're a dealer for VBOX, so it worked out :irock: ) in JR's car while I was working on the calibration further. We still have a few things we're trying to smooth out which is to be expected. However, I'm pretty happy with the car's initial performance so far considering we've still got the car running a very, very conservative calibration and we've got the boost backed down a bit from where it was on the dyno. This was simply in the interest of being cautious going from the dyno to the road tuning... not knowing if the tune would be "real-world" right out of the box. At any rate... I threw together a clip from a couple of Video Vbox runs I was able to get while we were out on some back country roads doing some road tuning.

The car is still running 93 octane.

Standing start 0-60 (no launch control, just WOT from standstill): 3.35 seconds
60-130mph: 6.97 seconds
Standing start 1/4 mile for trap speed: 11.28 @ 132 mph

Please keep in mind that this is a work in progress. I am also not willing to abuse the car... so the launch control has not been used.

Here's a link to the video:

Take care,
Tym Switzer
Switzer Performance Innovation

Posted Image

Email: [email protected]

#2 Tritech

Tritech

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:17 AM

What exactly is involved in the P700 kit?

#3 Nitrouz

Nitrouz

R34 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1550 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:28 AM

How accurate is the Vbox? 132mph trap is a terrific achievement given the relatively young R35 aftermarket.

Edited by Nitrouz, 23 March 2009 - 01:28 AM.

2013 FBO E85 FF Racerom Phase4 GTR - Masterfully tuned by Ben Linney (GTC Racing Technology)

#4 Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:23 AM

Looking good Tym! :irock:

#5 TymSwitzer

TymSwitzer

R32 Member

• International Vendor
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:57 AM

How accurate is the Vbox? 132mph trap is a terrific achievement given the relatively young R35 aftermarket.

The VBOX is the very same GPS equipment that the magazines use to evaluate vehicles. VBOX also makes the Performance Box and Driftbox. We started using the Performance Box and Driftbox last year when we started doing evaluation testing of the Porsche packages we had developed. 60-130 times have become a popular way to see how much "real world" power you're making as it judges the acceleration of the vehicle while reducing the influence of launch technique and traction issues. I became a fan of the VBOX hardware after using it during those initial tests. After running the car at the dragstrip and seeing that I was getting the same results on the VBOX vs. my timeslips, I found that I had the relative accuracy of running at the dragstrip anytime I needed to. I also hate waiting hours to make one run at the dragstrip on a typical track night!

The main reason I have come to use the VBOX is due to the fact that this is what the magazines use during their evaluations. Dyno's are fine for roughing in a tune and giving a rough idea of where you're at with your power levels... but I care how the car performs for the end user of our work. I also like apples to apples comparisons.

For example... Motortrend tested the GTR with launch control and got the following numbers:

0-60 3.2 sec
0-100 8 sec
0-130 14.1 sec

Yesterday while tuning, our numbers without launch control:

0-60 3.35
0-100 6.97
0-130 11.19

Their VBOX 1/4 mile time w/launch control and best of however many runs:
11.6 @ 120

Our VBOX 1/4 mile time w/no launch control and only 1 attempt:
11.28 @ 132

Without splitting hairs or getting too excited about particulars, I can say that we have a very efficient pump gas combination at this point which really isn't giving up much in terms of response over the stock turbos.

Like I said, I have some things to work through at this point... I learn something new on this platform every time I take it out.

I will say one thing, once we get everything smoothed out to my satisfaction... this thing will be a weapon.

All the best,
Tym Switzer

Posted Image

#6 Keller

Keller

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:59 AM

Very nice video Tym. How do you feel the GT-R performs vs. a 911 TT with similar power ratings? Boy does your set up move after 120 Mph. I've noticed that a stock car hits a wall in upper 4th gear due to boost drop. Looks GREAT!
2016 McLaren 675LT
2019 BMW M2 Comp
TJ Jeep Wrangler (Project:)
1975 Ford Bronco

PastRides
2016 McLaren 650S
4 GT-R's. (09,10,13,14)
991 Porsche Turbo S
Mercedes G63 AMG 2015
Jaguar F-Type R
AndTo many others to mention...

#7 TymSwitzer

TymSwitzer

R32 Member

• International Vendor
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:16 AM

Very nice video Tym. How do you feel the GT-R performs vs. a 911 TT with similar power ratings? Boy does your set up move after 120 Mph. I've noticed that a stock car hits a wall in upper 4th gear due to boost drop. Looks GREAT!

Initially I will say that they are both incredible machines each in their own right. I honestly need to spend more time in the GTR to give you an honest evaluation, however. The GTR is a different driving experience altogether from the 911TT in my opinion. I think acceleration runs in the 997TT takes more driver skill than the GTR for example.

When I did that 1/4 mile run on the video clip, that was in Auto mode. All I had to do was stop the car, let off the brake and floor it when I was ready. 11.2 @ 130 plus. All I had to do was keep it pointed straight. In the 997TT, I would have been driving my ass off, lol. :irock:

It will be interesting to see how the Porsche feels once they go to their PDK gearbox (similar to the operation of the GTR) in the new 911TT.
Tym Switzer

Posted Image

#8 Nitrouz

Nitrouz

R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1550 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:46 AM

terrific achievement so far once again! Glad to hear that the Vbox is very accurate. With those numbers, the GTR finally has a top end!
2013 FBO E85 FF Racerom Phase4 GTR - Masterfully tuned by Ben Linney (GTC Racing Technology)

#9 nanokpsi

nanokpsi

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:06 AM

How much power would you say this is down over the 692awhp tune?

The times seem good so far. I am looking forward to seeing what it will do with the tune on "kill".

#10 TymSwitzer

TymSwitzer

R32 Member

• International Vendor
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

How much power would you say this is down over the 692awhp tune?

The times seem good so far. I am looking forward to seeing what it will do with the tune on "kill".

Based on the current state of tune, I would say about 600-625awhp or so. This is a guesstimate, so don't hold me to closely too it.

Right now, we're running the car in "stun". ;)
Tym Switzer

Posted Image

#11 tyndago

tyndago

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

132 mph is good mph.

So you think it might go 140 mph with some more boost ? Keep it off that 22 psi ceiling in the stock sensors/ECU ? http://www.2009gtr.c...map-sensor.html

#12 Bullo

Bullo

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1818 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

Yummy.
Posted Image

#13 [email protected]

[email protected]

SpecV Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4614 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Impressive! Can't wait to see the results when it goes from "stun" to "kill" tune.
'09 GT-R titanium:
Follow My Build Here: http://www.gtrlife.c...__fromsearch__1

Innovative GT-R products at their finest

Posted Image

www.gotboostperformance.com
[email protected]
email and paypal

Posted Image

#14 TymSwitzer

TymSwitzer

R32 Member

• International Vendor
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:15 AM

To all watching... it's been an interesting week around here, no doubt about it. We've got quite a few projects all going at one time, but we did manage to make the latest updates and changes that we needed to make on JR's (Bullo's) GTR.

I had been having some issues getting the transmission to respond properly to the new power while on the road. I am happy to say that after many hours of calibration work, we've got the car shifting normally and properly.

I've also got an experimental calibration in the car running the blow off valves vented to atmosphere. So far it's doing very well... not sure if I'll keep them VTA or not... once I get more data on the car, I'll make my final decision in regard to that.

I would say that we've probably pushed this platform a bit further than most at this point so we've definately run into some hurdles and glitches along the way (standard procedure, lol) ... but I am happy to report that this combination has reached my original vision and expectations.

The car is linear and powerful, controllable and keeps pulling as long as you're comfortable staying in the throttle.

I look forward to seeing JR get the car out on the track.

I have some more fine tuning I'd like to do on the calibration, but I'm going to wait until I get some feedback from JR.

Hopefully he'll get the opportunity to come out and drive the car (for the first time) this afternoon.

Best to all,
Tym Switzer

Posted Image

#15 [email protected]

[email protected]

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12530 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:49 AM

Tym, what size injectors are you running? Are you tuning with Cobb Pro Tuner Software? Left you a voicemail...call me when you have a moment. :biggrin:

Edited by [email protected], 28 March 2009 - 10:50 AM.

Sharif Abdelbaset | GM | Calibrator | Driving Instructor
[email protected]
498 Cobb Parkway South, Marietta GA 30060
Forged Performance will meet or beat any competitors pricing!

#16 s1gins

s1gins

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

While I understand real world driving is what matters...do you have the this versions dyno along with a compare to the original (pre mods) dyno?

#17 yano

yano

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

The VBOX is the very same GPS equipment that the magazines use to evaluate vehicles. VBOX also makes the Performance Box and Driftbox. We started using the Performance Box and Driftbox last year when we started doing evaluation testing of the Porsche packages we had developed. 60-130 times have become a popular way to see how much "real world" power you're making as it judges the acceleration of the vehicle while reducing the influence of launch technique and traction issues. I became a fan of the VBOX hardware after using it during those initial tests. After running the car at the dragstrip and seeing that I was getting the same results on the VBOX vs. my timeslips, I found that I had the relative accuracy of running at the dragstrip anytime I needed to. I also hate waiting hours to make one run at the dragstrip on a typical track night!

The main reason I have come to use the VBOX is due to the fact that this is what the magazines use during their evaluations. Dyno's are fine for roughing in a tune and giving a rough idea of where you're at with your power levels... but I care how the car performs for the end user of our work. I also like apples to apples comparisons.

For example... Motortrend tested the GTR with launch control and got the following numbers:

0-60 3.2 sec
0-100 8 sec
0-130 14.1 sec

Yesterday while tuning, our numbers without launch control:

0-60 3.35
0-100 6.97
0-130 11.19

Their VBOX 1/4 mile time w/launch control and best of however many runs:
11.6 @ 120

Our VBOX 1/4 mile time w/no launch control and only 1 attempt:
11.28 @ 132

Without splitting hairs or getting too excited about particulars, I can say that we have a very efficient pump gas combination at this point which really isn't giving up much in terms of response over the stock turbos.

Like I said, I have some things to work through at this point... I learn something new on this platform every time I take it out.

I will say one thing, once we get everything smoothed out to my satisfaction... this thing will be a weapon.

All the best,

You'll get my car when I am ready to upgrade for sure!!!!!!! :biggrin:
2009 Nissan GT-R
Black/Black
JRZs RS-Pro Silent
PFC Brakes
SSP tranny cooler
SSP oil cooler
Akuma Intake
Willall Fluids
Clear Bra, Tint
next mods Turbo DP MP exhaust 18 or 19" track wheels and tires

2006 Lexus GS 300
2008 Lexus RX 400
2011 Jeep Rubicon on it's way

#18 Bullo

Bullo

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1818 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

So Tym called me yesterday and said that I can come check out the car and drive around for little bit if I like to. Without a doubt, I jumped on the opportunity and drove out to him and went for the first test drive since it has been modified.

Short time after talking to Tym, we both jumped in the car and took it for a drive. The car still had all the data loggers hooked up to it. Tons of wires and sensors all over the engine bay and inside the car. It looked like a surgeons operating room, but I ignored all the electronic mess on the car, as it was a necessary mess and took it out for a drive as Tym told me that "its safe for you to drive it in anyway you like". Tym came along to gather data on the car, to further tune it to suit my driving style.

Car was running on the higher boost settings that Tym has prepared. According to all the data, it was making well over 700 WHP. Tym has been working out all the bugs for the last week or so NONSTOP, as we all know, the car has some very sophisticated sensors and ECU that are hard to overcome. So I was curious to see how it would react, whether there would be any kind of any hesitation or any cuts and what not.

So after few miles we were at a very lightly traveled country side road. Tym said "Go for it" so I did. I drove it down to 30-40 MPH to 2nd gear and floored it, went through 3rd and 4th gear... car accelerates like a bullet without any hesitation at all, I nearly swallowed my tongue.

However, as I was going through the gears I noticed that car didn't shift as fast as I remember it does. I gave it few more tries, I still wasn't satisfied with the the way it took its time to adjust after shifting, BUT soon I realized the car's gear box wasn't in R mode. Of course I made that adjustment right away and now the Gears and Trac in R mode I gave it another try. All I have to say is HOLY SH!T. Considering the amount of power this car makes, I have never driven a car that drives and shifts so smoothly, yet accelerates so violently. I accelerated and slowed down quite a few times to see if there would be any hesitations of any kind, but no, absolutely no hiccups whatsoever.

I made a run from dead stop to 140 or so, car does not stop pulling until you take your foot of the gas. Again, its like a bullet, but its so smooth while accelerating, too smooth with shifts. I mean once you modify cars beyond certain level, you have to compromise some things, BUT this car feels and drives like stock car with an exhaust when you are just cruising, I LOVE THAT PART.

No matter what gear you are in or what RPM (above 3) car has power to spare. I can't express enough about the power curve, it keeps climbing.

Needless to say, I am a very happy camper. Absolutely thrilled now that I have actually experienced the car. I mean you can run all kinds of tests and dyno runs you want, nothing is like the real world driving.

When I first approached Tym, I kept telling him "Tym I do not want to lose the driveability of this vehicle", he understood, but once we started modifying all sorts of things on the car, I did have some doubts about it, but now, after driving it, NO DOUBTS or NO REGRETS what-so-ever with the performance of the car.

I went out last night with buddies to celebrate one of my friend's B-day. We were all car guys there, so I couldn't stop talking the car and came home with a new name "JTR". great.

Anyway, I also like to share my experience with Tym so far and on the work he has done. I am ABSOLUTELY satisfied with his services and all the parts he has developed. What a great chap to work with and a friend to have.

Car is pretty much ready for me to pick up, it needs to be detailed, due to all the salt and other crap we have on our roads. I hope Tym prepares it quickly, I'd love to track it some time soon

:cheers:
;]

Edited by Bullo, 29 March 2009 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Goodwood

Goodwood

Caretaker of GODZIRA!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2679 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

Congrats Bullo, I can't even imagine this car with this much whp! Are you at liberty to say what this much extensive modding has cost? Do you even know at this point? :cheers:

#20 Bullo

Bullo

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1818 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

Congrats Bullo, I can't even imagine this car with this much whp! Are you at liberty to say what this much extensive modding has cost? Do you even know at this point? :cheers:

Thank you Sir,

As for the pricing, I would much rather have Tym reply to this. Each car and each package would be different, because he builds cars to suit the owner's desires.

But I will tell you this, pricing of his products is lower when compared to whats out there at the moment; moreover, when you compare performance of Switzer products to other manufacturers, the prices make even more sense.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users