Photo
- - - - -

One year reliability/ durability review...

67 replies to this topic

#1 Bullo

Bullo

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1818 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

It's been over a year since many of us have had our cars. I remember when the car first came out, there was this cloud that hung over it due to all kinds of issues people were reporting, how the car is fragile, this and that, so how about some input on R35's reliability/ durability?

Personally...
My car has about 7-8k miles, at least 3-4K are track miles, rest of them are DD miles. My car has been modded quite a bit, it has Switzer P800 package. Majority of the time I have road raced the car with P700 power level. I have dragged raced it about 3 different times. Participated in the mile run event, gathered whole lot of data there, the point is, I have put the car through some stress and so far, the car has been running like a champ.

I haven't had any issues with the car. Car hasn't broken down once, so reliability wise its receives an A.

Since my car has been modified significantly, and has made nearly twice as much power as stock for almost a year now, and it has delivered as we pushed it, it receives an A for durability as well.
Of course, it a lot of it depends on how the car is tuned, and I give Switzer tons of credit for doing a great job, but Nissan has done an excellent job at building it as well. As Tym Switzer put, "GTR has the best power plant he has seen yet"

I understand that it won't continue to be as reliable as stock, and to push it any further will require additional mods, and we'll see how the car holds up, but as of now, I am very satisfied with it.

I know people have had issues with their cars and I think many people are interested in knowing what those issues were and your experience with the car, so let's hear it.
Posted Image

#2 MC

MC

NAGTROC CO-FOUNDER

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25976 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

had my car almost 16 months, besides that steering lock issue that bricked the car for a week, a rare mystery growl from the tranny every now and then and some annoying interior buzzes/rattles no serious reliability/quality complaints at all

i give it a 9 out of 10 as far as durability so far

2015 GT-R N1SMO "THE ONE"
2017 SENTRA NISMO

#3 Greg S.

Greg S.

Happy in Hermosa

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

13 months. 13,000 miles.

When I push START, it still makes me smile.
2013 BE in Pearl White; Xpel clear bra, tint & ClearPlex windshield protection<br />Aeromotions front splitter; Schroth 4-pt ASM w/Sparco harness bar<br />AMS catless DPs; 102mm GTC Titan titanium Exhaust; GotBoost intake kit, GotBoost I/C pipping,<br />SIR 1150cc injectors, AEM 320lph fuel pumps & hardwire harness;<br />SIR USM Turbos; Titek Wastegates; GT1R Oil/Water Separator<br />COBB AP -- Flex Fuel tune by Jon Drenas/5150

#4 grnvette65

grnvette65

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

i use mine as a DD; have to say no issues so far (4500 mi). excellent all weather car minus snow. very happy

#5 STI2EVO2GTR

STI2EVO2GTR

SpecV Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:54 PM

a rare mystery growl from the tranny every now and then and some annoying interior buzzes/rattles no serious reliability/quality complaints at all

i give it a 9 out of 10 as far as durability so far

Ditto

#6 REK125

REK125

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:19 PM

VIN 0061, delivered 7/10/08. 11,000 miles without any problems.

#7 [email protected]

[email protected]

SpecV Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4610 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

1 year and not one issue after 8800 miles. I drive my car hard and have tracked and drag raced it. Most of those miles have been at north of 520 WHP. SOLID A.
'09 GT-R titanium:
Follow My Build Here: http://www.gtrlife.c...__fromsearch__1

Innovative GT-R products at their finest

Posted Image

www.gotboostperformance.com
[email protected]
email and paypal

Posted Image

#8 wichitagtr

wichitagtr

Wichita GTR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:36 PM

Put 1k miles on mine with some minor mods. I drive it like a bat out of hell most the time :headshake:
Break in period for me was like 300 miles I could not wait any longer than that (like putting crack in front of a crack head and saying "don't smoke that) <WTF?!
Anyways, she has had no issues at all as of yet :doh:
My 2010 GTR Videos!

My Other Rides:
09 Mercedes G55 AMG - Daily Driver
06 Lexus IS300 - Hand me down to daughter
10 Lexus RX350 - Wife Ride
08 Ducati 1098
09 EZ-GO Golf cart - Goes 30mph finish 18 holes in 1 hr LOL!

Posted Image

#9 AJ PwR

AJ PwR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

I put 7500kms and tracked 3 times with full exhaust and a tune, so far so good :headshake:
MY09 GTR 526whp on stock boost
Setup by AJR www.aj-racing.com
Tuned by Tim Bailey www.cobbtuning.com

#10 r35.2010

r35.2010

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:48 PM

Bought my '10 in April, use it as a semi-DD plus for some weekend fun. Once I've learned its quirks (transmission noises, rattles, etc.), no complaints. Pushing 6K miles without any issues.

A coworker of mine just sent out some pictures of his Gallardo being towed after an oil pump failure. My response: "That's why I drive a Datsun!" :headshake:

#11 celsius

celsius

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7510 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:12 AM

It's been over a year since many of us have had our cars. I remember when the car first came out, there was this cloud that hung over it due to all kinds of issues people were reporting, how the car is fragile, this and that, so how about some input on R35's reliability/ durability?

Personally...
My car has about 7-8k miles, at least 3-4K are track miles, rest of them are DD miles. My car has been modded quite a bit, it has Switzer P800 package. Majority of the time I have road raced the car with P700 power level. I have dragged raced it about 3 different times. Participated in the mile run event, gathered whole lot of data there, the point is, I have put the car through some stress and so far, the car has been running like a champ.

I haven't had any issues with the car. Car hasn't broken down once, so reliability wise its receives an A.

Since my car has been modified significantly, and has made nearly twice as much power as stock for almost a year now, and it has delivered as we pushed it, it receives an A for durability as well.
Of course, it a lot of it depends on how the car is tuned, and I give Switzer tons of credit for doing a great job, but Nissan has done an excellent job at building it as well. As Tym Switzer put, "GTR has the best power plant he has seen yet"

I understand that it won't continue to be as reliable as stock, and to push it any further will require additional mods, and we'll see how the car holds up, but as of now, I am very satisfied with it.

I know people have had issues with their cars and I think many people are interested in knowing what those issues were and your experience with the car, so let's hear it.

+1...~3k miles and no issues..."knock on wood" :)

TSM Elite Prime (4125lbs w/Audiophile sound / AC, etc.) 

1426 AWHP

8.75 @ 163MPH Tx2k19

190MPH Roll Race Tx2k19

#12 Cashman

Cashman

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

Little over a year, 8200 miles and no problems. Drove it from Washington DC to Chicago to Omaha, to Vail Colorado and back with out a hint of a problem. Awesome car. :)
06 Ford GT Twin Turbo(1000rwhp)
09 Nissan GT-R Super Silver (590awhp)
10 BMW 750i
02 M3 Track Only
10 Lotus Exige S 240

11 BMW S1000 RR (200rwhp)

Coming Soon
About to Build something BIG

#13 Norm McAverage

Norm McAverage

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

7K DD miles.

When I had LC2 installed it triggered a few warning lights for 'evaporative emissions controls'.

No negative performance, just an annoying dashboard light to tell me I was driving the spotted barn owls to extinction.

Had to bring it back in for a recall on an 'emissions control valve', which dealer installed old part by mistake. So went back in again.

Other than driving with an annoying light for 2 weeks due to dealer not installing proper part at LC2 recall (like they were apparently supposed to on my batch) the car has been perfect.

Minor annoyances at worst.
Chapman philosophy: simplify, then add lightness.

Mizuno philosophy: add convenience and technology to gain confidence behind the wheel; make a GT car that's faster than every sports car.

#14 Rock

Rock
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:41 AM

Bullo, have you decided what you are going to do to beef up your clutch? I thought you reported that you were starting to notice some slip.

4k on my car and perfect.............I just love this thing!!!

#15 DJH1995

DJH1995

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:14 PM

11,000 km's.

Most satisfying car I have ever owned.

#16 Bullo

Bullo

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1818 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

Bullo, have you decided what you are going to do to beef up your clutch? I thought you reported that you were starting to notice some slip.

4k on my car and perfect.............I just love this thing!!!

Oh yes, Switzer is working on it as we speak.
I think GTR owners, who are looking to mod their trans, will be pleased with products and services Switzer will have available in near future. :biggrin:
Posted Image

#17 Bullo

Bullo

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1818 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

11,000 km's.

Most satisfying car I have ever owned.

This seems to be the reaction from most GTR owners.

However, I met a guy, who owns an 09, apparently his bottom end bearing let go. His engine is being rebuilt by the dealer. I forgot what the story was, but I think either the dealer or the owner used the wrong oil.

I am not sure if hes on these boards, but would be nice know what exactly happened.
Posted Image

#18 Mick

Mick

Formerly R35_395

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1069 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

I am coming up on 2 years of ownership in January.

Apart from the gearbox going down in the early days, it's been a good daily ever since but the interior noises have got much worse in the past year.
I got a bad one that sounds like the dash is going to fall on my lap.

I give it a 7.5 out of 10 overall.

#19 DocNrock

DocNrock

SpecV Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3626 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:14 PM

A few months and about 4000 miles. Heavily modded, and love it.
2009 Obsidian Black Nissan GT-R Premium. 550 awhp, 544 awtq (Mustang dyno, 91 octane). Dyno tuned by Jon at Cobb SoCal

Auto Club Speedway ROVAL 1:51.450, Willow Springs (big Willow) 1:34.457, Buttonwillow 13cw 2:02.858, SMMR 3.1 2:41.811

Go: Akuma BM intakes with Outerwears prefilters, AMS FMIC, Harman Motive intercooler piping, iD 1000cc injectors, dual Walbro fuel pumps, NGK racing plugs, AAM decatted downpipes, Cobb catted Y-pipe, HKS Legamax exhaust, and Cobb AP with custom tune.

Stop: AP Racing J-hook rotors, Endless ME20 pads, Stillen stainless brake lines, Endless RF-650 fluid.

Handling: Stillen sway bars, Dunlop SportMaxx 285's x 4, KW Coilover Sleeve kit, custom track alignment.

Accoutrements: Traqmate Complete/Chase Cam, GT Motoring tow hook, ARP studs, Project Kics R40 lugnuts. Passenger seat mount Halon extinguisher.

#20 ShahulX

ShahulX

Who Dat !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7797 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:17 PM

so far so good... 15 months now, 8500 miles, 4 track days.... my tranny shifts a little funny here and there but that may be tuning and an ever changing temperatures here

Current car : 2011 Boxster Spyder- (6MT, cf sport buckets, sport chrono, pagid yellows, gt3 brake ducts, fabspeed race) Audi B6 S4 cab (sprint blue), 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited

Former cars: 2009 NISSAN GTR PREMIUM ( Delivered !! 8/05/08 Ivory Pearl with Black leather )
2010 Evolution X, MK6 VW Gti, Subaru Outback and Forester XT 5mt, evolution 8 gsr, 94 supra, tsx 6mt, 2 preludes, rsx type S, 99 & 01 miatas, ridgeline, passport, integra, 06 accord, 07 crv, 00 eclipse gt

[/b]
[/color]

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users