30 replies to this topic

#1 TymSwitzer

TymSwitzer

R32 Member

• International Vendor
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

After tweaking the tune on this latest build, we had a chance to get it out for a couple of pulls on some country back roads to see how the new combination would put the power down. I'm very happy with the results so far.

The car managed to make quite a few rips at max power and never missed a shift. The only time the car seemed to get unsettled was when it was spinning the tires and the traction control would kick in. We kept it engaged during testing to keep the car settled and make sure we weren't abusing the driveline.

I estimate the current power at about 750 or so whp and approx 720 wtq. The shifts in the video clip were all made at 7000+ rpm to see if it would complete the shifts under full power.

Happy to report that I can see no evidence of clutch slippage in the data that I gathered today. The car is driving with what I would consider "stock like" driveability ... probably could be compared to R mode in stock form. The shifts are all firm and immediate.

I pulled a Video Vbox off the shelf and installed it in the car after I finished tweaking the tune this afternoon. The mph displayed is based on the vbox GPS signal. The inset video is supposed to show the dash display but that is as close as I could get the camera today. You should be able to see the tach swinging over 7K on each shift if you look closely.

I know there were a lot of people curious about the build and how it would run on the street... so I thought I would share.

Best to all,
Tym Switzer
Switzer Performance Innovation

Posted Image

Email: [email protected]

#2 celsius

celsius

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7508 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:52 PM

sweet video Tym! :rolf2: All runs were on RRR, right?

After tweaking the tune on this latest build, we had a chance to get it out for a couple of pulls on some country back roads to see how the new combination would put the power down. I'm very happy with the results so far.

The car managed to make quite a few rips at max power and never missed a shift. The only time the car seemed to get unsettled was when it was spinning the tires and the traction control would kick in. We kept it engaged during testing to keep the car settled and make sure we weren't abusing the driveline.

I estimate the current power at about 750 or so whp and approx 720 wtq. The shifts in the video clip were all made at 7000+ rpm to see if it would complete the shifts under full power.

Happy to report that I can see no evidence of clutch slippage in the data that I gathered today. The car is driving with what I would consider "stock like" driveability ... probably could be compared to R mode in stock form. The shifts are all firm and immediate.

I pulled a Video Vbox off the shelf and installed it in the car after I finished tweaking the tune this afternoon. The mph displayed is based on the vbox GPS signal. The inset video is supposed to show the dash display but that is as close as I could get the camera today. You should be able to see the tach swinging over 7K on each shift if you look closely.

I know there were a lot of people curious about the build and how it would run on the street... so I thought I would share.

Best to all,

TSM Elite Prime (4125lbs w/Audiophile sound / AC, etc.) 

1426 AWHP

8.75 @ 163MPH Tx2k19

190MPH Roll Race Tx2k19

#3 Swirlone

Swirlone

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

oh yea that was badass seriously fast ride. sounded like it shifted real smooth
GT-R= 2017 Premium Blaze Metallic// 2010 370Z 40th Anniversary #175 100shot Admin Tuned *SOLD*// 2008 Dodge SRT-4 Caliber Red Bone stock *SOLD*// 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, Blue w/ Silver Stripes *SOLD*// 2001 Acura Integra GS-R Coupe Benson Sleeved B16, Mnaley Rods, Arias pistons, MSD, PT6776sp Turbo,[email protected] qtr mile

#4 VEGASGTR

VEGASGTR

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8455 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

oh yea that was badass seriously fast ride. sounded like it shifted real smooth

Great work and the car was shifting like butter! nice work !! Car sounds like a beast

60-130 seemed in the high 5's :o

I can see a high 9 sec with proper launch... :rolf2:
current: 2014 VIPER

past:
2014 Z51 A&A supercharged 608whp on 91.
2009 GTR [email protected] 4.38 60-130
2006 S/C Z06
2002 Twin Turbo Z06

#5 Bullo

Bullo

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1818 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

Tym, your work never fails to amaze me.

800 WHP car, runs like its supposed to, nice and smooth power delivery... BEAUTIFUL.

Good job, Brother.

I can hardly wait to see this machine at the tracks.

Like [email protected] said the other day, "Slow down, let us enjoy our P800 for few months"
Posted Image

#6 Bullo

Bullo

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1818 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

Great work and the car was shifting like butter! nice work !! Car sounds like a beast

60-130 seemed in the high 5's :o

I can see a high 9 sec with proper launch... :rolf2:

Its much more then that, VEGAS.

Yes, this car will whoop some butt at the drag strip, but you can track it, because of its smooth power delivery, and then you can drive it home AS IS because you can fill it up at the pump.
Posted Image

#7 Kickhard

Kickhard

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

damn that car got to 180 pretty quick!!!!!!!!!!!!
Current rides: 2009 Nissan GTR Super Silver-2008 IS-F Star Fire Pearl /Black-2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Old rides: 2006 Chevrolet Silverado SS-2005 Subaru STI Black/Gold wheels-2004 E55 AMG-2004 Ford Lightning-2007 Mini Cooper S-2001 ML55 AMG-1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 800rwhp-1981 Mercedes 280SE euro spec

#8 TheBOSS

TheBOSS

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

Its much more then that, VEGAS.

Yes, this car will whoop some butt at the drag strip, but you can track it, because of its smooth power delivery, and then you can drive it home AS IS because you can fill it up at the pump.

Car looks smooth and certainly appears to be quick moving....

I dont know about the pump thing though..LOL

Not all of us have access to E85 on tap....

Edited by TheBOSS, 10 April 2010 - 07:17 PM.

#9 NNAS

NNAS

Kick_arse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

I can see that guy Tym is a very cool guy, he so calmly writes about the amazing work he has done with that car, 750 hp on pump is the new benchmark congrats

2000 Toyota Chaser- 1JZGTE
2002 Toyota Alteeza- 3SGTE
2001 Honda Civic - 15B

#10 VEGASGTR

VEGASGTR

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8455 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

I can see that guy Tym is a very cool guy, he so calmly writes about the amazing work he has done with that car, 750 hp on pump is the new benchmark congrats

E85 .. not "pump"...but yes its impressive.
current: 2014 VIPER

past:
2014 Z51 A&A supercharged 608whp on 91.
2009 GTR [email protected] 4.38 60-130
2006 S/C Z06
2002 Twin Turbo Z06

#11 TymSwitzer

TymSwitzer

R32 Member

• International Vendor
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

Thank you. Just to clarify, this particular car is running E85.

The furthest we have pushed 93 octane is about 710whp, with less torque.

Boss... I will assume that you almost paid us a compliment, so thank you. The car most certainly moves out... it's exhilerating to drive.

E85 is difficult to get in our area as well believe it or not. I am working out the details to make this a dual fuel car... just to give it more flexibility. We'll see how that goes.

All the best,
Tym
Tym Switzer

Posted Image

#12 Symbolic

Symbolic

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:43 PM

Exhilarating.

#13 LuckyEff

LuckyEff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4747 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:31 AM

Exhilarating.

we dont have E85 here in UAE =(
Toyota Prado <br />
Mercedes S 400
HYBRID<br />
<br />

#14 heacuva

heacuva

R33 Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:36 AM

we dont have E85 here in UAE =(

then do it my way and mix some toluene (20%) with your pump gas (80%) for relatively more aggressive tunes. Make sure not to breath toluene tho as it can lead to infertility.

#15 TheBOSS

TheBOSS

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:41 AM

Tym i give credit where credit is due.

I speak my mind when I see something that raises questioning.

It's simple as that. I am not a swinger nor hater..... Just a seeker of the truth :-)

The car moves out no doubt.

Question though- we all know how E85 is not the easist source of fuel to come by..... I mean you guys live in farm country and like you said it's hard for you to find the stuff. Why didn't you just tune for C16??

You can make the same power on it as E85, it's something everyone has access to, and you can switch from it back to 93 pump with no sweat.

Second question- why did you back down the power? Were you simply trying to max out your new turbos and see where they would take you.

Edited by TheBOSS, 11 April 2010 - 05:42 AM.

#16 Monaco

Monaco

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2158 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:45 AM

That car is wicked quick!

#17 thistle

thistle

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2067 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:09 AM

Nice job. Did you notice it richening up as it shifted to 6th gear? I've had a request to try to get rid of that but no dyno seems to be able to test that fast to get some logging done to narrow things down...

#18 TymSwitzer

TymSwitzer

R32 Member

• International Vendor
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:26 AM

Nice job. Did you notice it richening up as it shifted to 6th gear? I've had a request to try to get rid of that but no dyno seems to be able to test that fast to get some logging done to narrow things down...

No John, the A/F's remained on target throughout the entire run. The car was happy and it ran the same in high gear as it did in the lower gears. As you can see the car was pulling strong until the throttle was closed (out of room).

Boss... standard practice for me is to run with a margin of safety for my clients. The owner of this car will show it no mercy, so I've tried to leave a little headroom and not run it at the max capacity of the current calibration and hardware. At 800whp we're at the reasonable limit of the turbos without starting to overspeed them. We can, but there really is no point to ask more of them... especially when this car is stock engine. If I keep the compressors in the sweet spot of their efficiency range than I can get more consistent results out of the car from run to run.

E85 is a great fuel for turbo cars and as I mentioned, I wanted to test the limits of the fuel system for the higher powered combinations I've been working on. It worked out well. Also... the customer can buy drums of VP C16 or he can by drums of E85... the difference being mainly price. We can't go around the corner here and get VP any easier than we can E85, so it really doesn't matter much. That's the reason we've been a VP fuel dealer for the last few years.

E85 is showing up in more locations all the time, but you do need to watch the quality especially when the seasons change.

I tuned this car to run on what comes out of the E85 pumps around here. The cost is approximately 1/4th that of race fuel... so even though we burn more of it to do the same amount of work, it's still a win win.

We do racegas/pumpgas builds all of the time on many platforms. An E85 project was more of a challenge and it gave me the ability to do more testing and gather more data. The next higher powered build will be a pumpgas/racegas build, so it will be technically less challenging in that aspect. The cool thing is that I know at a minimum the fuel system will be up to the task of the power numbers we want to see.

Best,
Tym Switzer

Posted Image

#19 thistle

thistle

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2067 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:53 AM

Thanks Tym, that is interesting as AMS and I have noticed the programmed AFR seems to richen in logs when there is a shift to 6th gear at about 155mph but it isn't something you can log every day, if you are not seeing that it is very puzzling. Can I bother you to review your AFR logs again after a red line 5th gear ~155mph shift? Not disputing it doesn't run clean and pull all the way, I'm delighted it does, I'm just puzzled if you're not seeing this richening and others are, as I was hoping to find someone that can test 6th gear at very high speed to be able to program this out.

#20 yano

yano

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

Question though- we all know how E85 is not the easist source of fuel to come by..... I mean you guys live in farm country and like you said it's hard for you to find the stuff. Why didn't you just tune for C16??

in CO E85 is available at many gas stations at only $1.99-2.15 gallon that means a full tank is about $30 vs $150!!!!!!!
I don't even know where to get C16
so for my build I'd rather have it tuned for E85
2009 Nissan GT-R
Black/Black
JRZs RS-Pro Silent
PFC Brakes
SSP tranny cooler
SSP oil cooler
Akuma Intake
Willall Fluids
Clear Bra, Tint
next mods Turbo DP MP exhaust 18 or 19" track wheels and tires