174 replies to this topic

#1 TymSwitzer

TymSwitzer

R32 Member

• International Vendor
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

As is usually the case, I don't get a chance to post much on the forums. Sometimes I wish I had more time to do so, but keeping busy in the shop has been the priority lately. We've been working on a lot of new developments over the last few months, and pushing things along on the Nissan platform has been a key focus for us to be sure. We've had a lot of requests from current and prospective clients alike to come up with higher powered builds for the R35. There are quite a few competent shops out there pushing for big numbers on the cars, so it was important to me to lay out some legitimate goals for what we were going to try to accomplish and not get caught up in some dyno sheet contest.

I had set a goal from the outset to make a 1000 hp R35 that could be usable on the street. I didnít want a race only car. I didn't want it to be too laggy for a larger turbo car, so that it would recover well on the gear changes. I wanted functioning climate control and to retain the heavy (but comfortable) factory seats. A car you could still enjoy the sound system in, and have a conversation while cruising down the highway with your passenger, without having to shout or text with your Blackberry because your teeth were vibrating loose from the constant drone.

I've built a lot of high powered race cars, but that's not what we wanted from this exercise. Originally I wanted this first high powered build to be an E85 car, but that just wasn't realistic given the car's home and availability of E85 fuel in that location. So, I decided on setting the car up for both pump fuel and high octane race gas (C16). I've set the car up so that the customer can throw a switch and it will automatically adjust boost, mixture and timing on each setting for the fuel being used. At this point, I can do a flex fuel version of the package, and will likely do so on the next one if the fuel is readily available for the client. All of the work for that is done.

I also wanted to develop this package making use of the components we've already supplied in the P800 kits. I had said in the beginning that I had made most of those components to handle 1000hp, specifically so that our customers would have the value added benefit of using of those components as they progressed from our P800 packages to 900 hp and beyond without having to reinvest.

I'm probably getting long-winded here, and there is certainly more to say about what we're doing with this project, but I wanted to let you guys know how we have been progressing.

Last Friday, before the 4th holiday weekend, we strapped the car on Buschurís Mustang dyno and managed a 951awhp/804awtq run before we literally started driving through the stock clutches. I had manipulated the clutches into locking up early and aggressively. This was done so that I could make progress with the tuning on this new combination without taking the car out of action for transmission modifications while Shep and I evaluated some of the current gearboxes we have running before settling on the final specs for that part of this build.

Here's the vid:

To be honest, I didn't expect the factory transmission to hold at these power levels. I did manage to get a couple of good runs out of the car if I would cool the gearbox down enough. It was right on the edge of slipping the transmission, but it still managed to hold to 950+ awhp at 30-32 psi. This car will easily hit 1000 whp once we mod the gearbox, which is the next step of the project.

I am very happy with the drivability already, even though I haven't spent much time at all fine tuning it for transient responses and such. I have been driving the car back and forth to the Mustang Dyno (thanks Buschur Racing for the dyno rental time) with the A/C and stereo on and it's driving like a normal GTR should. It's nice to have a combination like this that has good manners and doesn't stall. Let me repeat that: during all our testing, this 1000 hp GTR car has stalled exactly ZERO times ... that, in itself, I take to be a triumph! The car is also running cooler than any GTR we have built to date, so some of our other work has paid off as well.

I'm still on the safe side of the tuning as you will see in the video of the pull when you see some extra fuel being pushed through the engine. The car is still conservatively rich and I've gone easy on the timing as I progress.

Currently, we have no knock and the engine hasn't pushed an ounce of oil or water. We haven't seen any signs of stress so far on the engine and its compression and leak down numbers are actually getting better as the new rings seat. This engine has NOT been sleeved, which (so far) substantiates my opinion that sleeves are not necessary at these power levels if tuned properly. We have been concerned about weakening the block by machining it for the liners and it was our collective professional opinion at the shop that we should find out exactly where the factory cylinders truly become a liability.

Obviously, there are still a few unknowns here, but we've tried to take an intelligent approach to our engine program and upgrade what was needed - not try to float our egos by replacing perfectly good components with lesser or equal components just for the sake of doing so.

I canít wait to get a gearbox in the car that will actually hold, so we can turn up the boost and push further. Even at 100 less whp than our dyno session Friday, the car is utterly addicting at WOT on the street, breaking the tires loose all the way around when the boost hits in 2nd and even into 3rd at times on dry pavementÖ this car is a riot. I can only imagine how fantastic it will feel when we can put this latest addition of 100+ lbs/ft and hp to the wheels on the street.

More updates coming soon as we start to fine tune this project. My original goal was 1000hp at the crank in a street friendly R35 GTR that could be driven like a stock car when off boost and offer this extreme power level when requested. Iíd say weíve already achieved those goals at this point and any further progress will simply be a bonus. Iím delighted with the progress weíve made in the last few months and happy to say that the project is going exactly where we wished to go with it. The car is truly a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde affair at this point with mild manners at idle and cruise moving to violently aggressive acceleration when on boost.

Just thought I would share.

All the best, and I hope everyone else' projects are progressing well... I know our endeavors have been satisfyingly challenging over the last few months.
Tym Switzer
Switzer Performance Innovation

Posted Image

Email: [email protected]

#2 Skyliner

Skyliner

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6553 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

950 whp = 1100 engine horsepower! That's a serious answer to 9FF porsches... and Twin Turbo Lambos.

However, 32 psi is well over 2 bars of pressure. I am under the impression that it is too high!

#3 seanm

seanm

GTR Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5335 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

950 whp = 1100 engine horsepower! That's a serious answer to 9FF porsches... and Twin Turbo Lambos.

However, 32 psi is well over 2 bars of pressure. I am under the impression that it is too high!

Boost pressure is just a number. Ask a diesel truck guy if 2 bars is high.

Congratulations on the numbers. They are impressive.

Sean Morris

#4 Airwalk T

Airwalk T

GT-R R35

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

950 whp = 1100 engine horsepower!

1100 BHP? Holy Godzilla!! Watch out other contenders...and yes Veyron, Im looking at you :wavey:
I know I know - that one is old and done for but when a modded 85k GT-R can compete
with a technical marvel such as the Bugatti, it just goes to prove what an awesome platform the GT-R is.

Tym - what you and your team are doing with the car , absolutely rocks :irock: and keep up the good work.
Hearing the R1K GT-R roar on the dyno makes me surely look forward to clips with it on the street...can you say " eat my dust " ?

I for sure will have Switzer and their product line in mind , the day I get my GT-R :rolleyes:

Edited by Airwalk T, 07 July 2010 - 01:18 PM.

#5 Skyliner

Skyliner

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6553 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

Low 9s are coming sooner than I thought! Well done!

#6 NiCkGtR35

NiCkGtR35

E63 D1STURBD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1497 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

holy fucking shit. thats one sick GTR
"WHAT'S BEHIND ME DOESN'T MATTER"

#7 VEGASGTR

VEGASGTR

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8455 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

holy fucking shit. thats one sick GTR

+1 . very impressive!!

that car is no joke

does the owner have any intentions on running it in the 1/4?
current: 2014 VIPER

past:
2014 Z51 A&A supercharged 608whp on 91.
2009 GTR [email protected] 4.38 60-130
2006 S/C Z06
2002 Twin Turbo Z06

#8 ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

Saving up for my SPI fund starting today LOL

Awesome work guys. Hats off to you. One of these days I'll make my way out to Ohio.

#9 STI2EVO2GTR

STI2EVO2GTR

SpecV Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Pretty damn awesome. Can't wait to see a GTR break the 1000 mark, then I can't wait to see it at the track. You have an amazing shop Tym

#10 the King

the King

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6078 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

^^^ I hope not..lol. Amazing numbers and I like the reliability and quality build theme being emphasized here. Excellent work Switzer, excellent work....
Tommi Makinen Edition aka Evolution 6.5: full GSR trim, Coilovers.

#11 B.McKissick

B.McKissick

I don't have a GTR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

Lord have mercy, that is sick! I have a feeling 1krwhp is very close. Congrats Switzer!
Canon 5Dc + 135L

#12 Neil Switzer

Neil Switzer

SPI Performance Consultant

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2997 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

There is enough boost left to shatter that mark, but we need to get a trans behind this power first.

Lord have mercy, that is sick! I have a feeling 1krwhp is very close. Congrats Switzer!

"All around nice guy"

#13 B.McKissick

B.McKissick

I don't have a GTR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

You guys have any ideas for the trans?
Canon 5Dc + 135L

#14 DragoGT-R

DragoGT-R

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1840 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

Congrats on the nice numbers.

I'm assuming this is Mikes car ( Goush )

Mike glad to hear your car is almost finished.

Now it's time to get it to a track my friend....

:cheers:
AMS GT-R Alpha 9 package

Sold!

First R35 GT-R in the 9's

Video below

Best ET - 9.89
Best MPH - 146.96 MPH

Worlds Fastest Alpha 9 GT-R in the standing mile - 205.3 MPH

#15 Neil Switzer

Neil Switzer

SPI Performance Consultant

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2997 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

Absolutely, Tym has been working with John Shepard and Glen @ Dodson for quite some time on a solution for this car. As of right now it will be getting a full gear set and upgraded clutches as well as some other things.

"All around nice guy"

#16 Bullo

Bullo

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1818 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

So good to see and hear it roar.

I'd like to add that this was done in a very well known shop around here called Buschur Racing. For those who aren't familial with Buschur, their dyno is known for putting out very conservative numbers and is dubbed 'the heart breaker'
On most other dynos, this car would easily be well above the 1000 WHP mark.

Finally, I WANT, I WANT, I WANT.

Edit: It's spelled Buschur, not Buschar. Gotta get that right. :cheers:

Edited by Bullo, 08 July 2010 - 09:08 AM.

Posted Image

#17 ESCUE Polo

ESCUE Polo

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1830 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:02 PM

WOWWWWWWWWWW! amazing numbers. Just when I thought I found a nice turbo system, you come along again and shatter records. Great work, great shop! so no liners or sleeves? just pistons and rods I assume?

Tuned by Jack Cecil @ HorsePower Logic

#18 JO | SWITZER

JO | SWITZER

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

Absolutely, Tym has been working with John Shepard and Glen @ Dodson for quite some time on a solution for this car. As of right now it will be getting a full gear set and upgraded clutches as well as some other things.

http://switzer-spi.b...ner-dodson.html

SWITZER // CHICAGO IL
PERFORMANCE. INNOVATION.

http://www.switzerpe...einnovation.com

Skype jo.borras

Follow Switzer on Facebook.

#19 Justice

Justice

Sobchak Security

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3531 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Justice, 09 July 2010 - 09:08 AM.

14 Premium White/Red 2100 miles (for sale)
14 Premium Gray/Red 4700 miles (for sale)

#20 Shep

Shep

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

Awesome job Tym. That dyno is no joke either !!!

We are in contact with Tym and Glenn on a daily basis to come up with a combination that we feel comfortable releasing to the public for some of these crazy builds. This unit will have a full ppg gearset and a massive Dodson clutch setup to start off with.

It is good to see how well the engine does with the stock walls. This is what I am leaning towards on my car. I have heard this car in person and the engine is very quiet.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users