18 replies to this topic

#1 DocNrock

DocNrock

SpecV Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3626 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

Here are a few recent mods I've made. I added the Stillen lip and side skirts and the GT-Motoring tow hook. I also went with a square 285 setup for track duty. I think the front 285's look great with the lip and skirts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2009 Obsidian Black Nissan GT-R Premium. 550 awhp, 544 awtq (Mustang dyno, 91 octane). Dyno tuned by Jon at Cobb SoCal

Auto Club Speedway ROVAL 1:51.450, Willow Springs (big Willow) 1:34.457, Buttonwillow 13cw 2:02.858, SMMR 3.1 2:41.811

Go: Akuma BM intakes with Outerwears prefilters, AMS FMIC, Harman Motive intercooler piping, iD 1000cc injectors, dual Walbro fuel pumps, NGK racing plugs, AAM decatted downpipes, Cobb catted Y-pipe, HKS Legamax exhaust, and Cobb AP with custom tune.

Stop: AP Racing J-hook rotors, Endless ME20 pads, Stillen stainless brake lines, Endless RF-650 fluid.

Handling: Stillen sway bars, Dunlop SportMaxx 285's x 4, KW Coilover Sleeve kit, custom track alignment.

Accoutrements: Traqmate Complete/Chase Cam, GT Motoring tow hook, ARP studs, Project Kics R40 lugnuts. Passenger seat mount Halon extinguisher.

#2 tyndago

tyndago

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

Looking good. Can't wait to hear your feedback on the wider front tires, and front lip at the track.

#3 descartesfool

descartesfool

R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2589 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

Which wheels and tires are you running up front? 285's on the OEM front wheels, or on a second set of rear wheels?

#4 DocNrock

DocNrock

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3626 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

Looking good. Can't wait to hear your feedback on the wider front tires, and front lip at the track.

Thanks Sean.

Which wheels and tires are you running up front? 285's on the OEM front wheels, or on a second set of rear wheels?

Dunlop 600's, 285, on the OEM front rims.

Edited by DocNrock, 25 January 2011 - 10:19 AM.

2009 Obsidian Black Nissan GT-R Premium. 550 awhp, 544 awtq (Mustang dyno, 91 octane). Dyno tuned by Jon at Cobb SoCal

Auto Club Speedway ROVAL 1:51.450, Willow Springs (big Willow) 1:34.457, Buttonwillow 13cw 2:02.858, SMMR 3.1 2:41.811

Go: Akuma BM intakes with Outerwears prefilters, AMS FMIC, Harman Motive intercooler piping, iD 1000cc injectors, dual Walbro fuel pumps, NGK racing plugs, AAM decatted downpipes, Cobb catted Y-pipe, HKS Legamax exhaust, and Cobb AP with custom tune.

Stop: AP Racing J-hook rotors, Endless ME20 pads, Stillen stainless brake lines, Endless RF-650 fluid.

Handling: Stillen sway bars, Dunlop SportMaxx 285's x 4, KW Coilover Sleeve kit, custom track alignment.

Accoutrements: Traqmate Complete/Chase Cam, GT Motoring tow hook, ARP studs, Project Kics R40 lugnuts. Passenger seat mount Halon extinguisher.

#5 'Q

'Q

Spec Mi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4308 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

Looks great Doc! Tires will help a lot

Facebook Admin/Content Creator:
Facebook.com/MEGTROC

Formerly known as member GT3240x2

#6 icarus

icarus

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1654 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

Looking good. The 285's should be OK on the 9.5 front rim... I used to run 275's on 9 inch rims (different car) at the track all the time.

#7 RedGTS

RedGTS

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

Looks excellent. The Stillen parts upainted blend in well on a black car, which is a nice bonus.

#8 David_Yu

David_Yu

R34 Member

• Media
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1403 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

Nice.

What's to stop the towing eye swinging around and damaging the paint of the bumper? Is the angle of swing restricted?
Any advantage over the stock towing eye (other than colour)?
Posted ImageShare your ownership experience on www.auto-journals.com ! Easy to use, great to read: Real Life with Cars

#9 aristo25

aristo25

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3581 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

Why people drive around with tow hooks hanging?? It's a Honda thing :doh:
2012 Mclaren MP4-12c Nova, ceramic brakes and carbon everywhere
2016 Range Rover Full size Supercharged
2016 S63 Coupe AMG
2015 Nismo GT-R (SOLD)

2010 GT-R Pearl White (SOLD: well traveled car: Belgium, Colorado Springs, Luxembourg, Florida, UK, Austria, Holland, Austria, Germany, France, Slovenia, Italia, Switzerland, Monaco)
2009 GT-R RED (SOLD)

#10 DocNrock

DocNrock

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3626 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

Nice.

What's to stop the towing eye swinging around and damaging the paint of the bumper? Is the angle of swing restricted?
Any advantage over the stock towing eye (other than colour)?

The eye is actually bolted tightly enough that you physically have to move it with your hand to change the "angle of the dangle." As far as advantages go, to me it just looks better than the stock piece, especially when left in place all the time. And more than one person has banged their knee on the stock tow hook, including Tim Bailey.

Why people drive around with tow hooks hanging?? It's a Honda thing :)

For me, it is in the rules to have one on the car while tracking. I'm just too lazy to remove it between track days.

Edited by DocNrock, 24 January 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#11 Jon H

Jon H

R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

Looking good Brent!

2017 GT-R

2015 GT3 (Sold)
2013 GT-R (Sold)
2009 GT-R (Sold)

BW CW13 - 1:50.6
https://youtu.be/CFau6MhJHa4

#12 rsfootball

rsfootball

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2049 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

Nice

#13 DocNrock

DocNrock

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3626 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

Thanks all for the kind words.

Does anyone know of a rear diffuser that actually has functional downforce improvement over the OEM diffuser setup?

#14 tre

tre

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:58 AM

Brent, you finally succumbed to the exterior visual mod bug :) Now you have some visual bling to go along with your added performance :) Everything is looking good!

#15 wwjd

wwjd

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1649 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:03 AM

Thanks all for the kind words.

Does anyone know of a rear diffuser that actually has functional downforce improvement over the OEM diffuser setup?

I only know my wing makes BIG different in terms of performance comparing to my friends fixed big wing. His car has more oversteering and less stopping power, it's noticeable without using a data log.
For diffuser, I have the Wald one, I don't notice any improve on before and after.
So, I think getting yourself a active wing would be better than diffuser.

#16 DocNrock

DocNrock

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3626 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

Brent, you finally succumbed to the exterior visual mod bug :rolf2: Now you have some visual bling to go along with your added performance :) Everything is looking good!

Thanks Tre, but you know me. If it didn't serve a functional purpose it would never have been considered. I have had some high speed understeer on track and the wider fronts along with the 2" "splitter" with a mini-canard on each side should help obviate that. My only worry is upsetting the aero balance of the car. By adding front downforce, it may lighten the rear, leading to oversteer or instability under hard braking. I don't know as of yet. I'll be track testing in February, although that will be at SOWS, not exactly a high-speed track.

I only know my wing makes BIG different in terms of performance comparing to my friends fixed big wing. His car has more oversteering and less stopping power, it's noticeable without using a data log.
For diffuser, I have the Wald one, I don't notice any improve on before and after.
So, I think getting yourself a active wing would be better than diffuser.

I've been talking with an aerodynamacist who thinks I can balance the cars aero with just a good functional diffuser. He didn't think the Wald one was functional, at all. I'd like to avoid a wing like the AM you have. While a very quality piece and clearly highly functional, I just don't like it personally for a daily driver. Nothing against your car, at all. Besides, a good diffuser would be far more "discreet." :)

Edited by DocNrock, 25 January 2011 - 10:22 AM.

#17 aristo25

aristo25

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3581 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

Understood :banghead:
The car is looking good.
2012 Mclaren MP4-12c Nova, ceramic brakes and carbon everywhere
2016 Range Rover Full size Supercharged
2016 S63 Coupe AMG
2015 Nismo GT-R (SOLD)

2010 GT-R Pearl White (SOLD: well traveled car: Belgium, Colorado Springs, Luxembourg, Florida, UK, Austria, Holland, Austria, Germany, France, Slovenia, Italia, Switzerland, Monaco)
2009 GT-R RED (SOLD)

#18 Davin

Davin

SpecV Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4166 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

Looks great Brent!

Not sure that I've heard too much about diffusers that have been tested/confirmed to contribute to improved aerodynamics. If there were I'd be curious to find out the benefits and if there's a compromise. Sometimes it's just cost. Other times getting downforce costs drag or has an impact on cooling elsewhere.

Looking forward to your comments on the square setup. Should be a significant change.

#19 DocNrock

DocNrock

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3626 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

Looks great Brent!

Not sure that I've heard too much about diffusers that have been tested/confirmed to contribute to improved aerodynamics. If there were I'd be curious to find out the benefits and if there's a compromise. Sometimes it's just cost. Other times getting downforce costs drag or has an impact on cooling elsewhere.

Looking forward to your comments on the square setup. Should be a significant change.

Thanks Davin.

A static wing will increase drag and will likely worsen MPG on daily driving. Aeromotions would be a good compromise as it can be run flat to decrease drag and get "wing up" when you need it. I just don't want a big GT-style wing on my car, unless absolutely necessary. A effective diffuser should not have that effect, and actually would be more efficient in drawing air out from under the car, improving rear downforce without the drag effect. Also, by increasing the velocity of that air, it *should* actually have a positive effect on cooling...in theory, of course. :)

My next track day will be at Streets of Willow Springs (not big Willow). It is a very tight 1.8 mile road course. With the 255's in front and the weight of the GT-R, it would be hard to avoid significant understeer at the limit. Thus, I am really looking forward to seeing how the front 285's behave at this track. Scroll to the bottom of the following link to see the track layout. http://www.speedvent...ail.aspx?id=309 . From talking to others who have run this track, you either love it or hate it. It seems like the Miata and S2000 guys love it, so I think that says something versus a car like the GT-R. A friend of mine with a Viper hates it. We'll see! :lmfao:

Edited by DocNrock, 26 January 2011 - 10:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users