53 replies to this topic

#1 Skyliner

Skyliner

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6553 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:39 AM

Edited by Skyliner, 28 March 2011 - 02:39 AM.

#2 Skyliner

Skyliner

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6553 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:49 AM

They were neck and neck for the first 5 minutes.... Then the GTR takes the lead in the race.

Edited by Skyliner, 28 March 2011 - 03:01 AM.

#3 descartesfool

descartesfool

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2589 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:52 AM

Great video.

Interesting how after the carousel the GT-R gains about 2 seconds, and then that the ZR1 can't make up for lost time on the long straight, where I thought it might have had an advantage.

#4 jonnyt5050

jonnyt5050

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

Right at youtube video time 6:15, the ZR1 loses grip for a split second and the driver throws up his hand.

That's the difference in these two.

(although the GTR did manage a slight step ahead just before that moment).
2009 SuperSilver

Mods
====
Power: Greddy Ti 80mm exhaust, HKS Resonated Midpipe, Greddy Type 6 FMIC, HKS Intercooler Pipes, HKS SSQV BOV, HKS EVC 6, Jotech tune (496 awhp w/91 Octane)
Cooling: HKS DCT Cooler, Boost Logic Oil Cooler, Spec-V coolant tank, Evans NPG+ Fluid
Handling: Stillen Swaybars, JRZ RS Pro Silents (750lb/600lb)
Braking: AP J-Hook rotors, Forged Perf. SS brake lines, Endless MX72 pads
Wheels: Street: 20" Rays RGT57 Gram Lights w/Dunlop All-season / Track: 19" Volk RE30s w/Toyo R888s
Track accessories: Bell GT2 helmet, Moonface towhook, GoPro HD camera, Harry's Laptimer iPhone App, Sparco 4 point harness

#5 pi-man

pi-man

OnTrack Maniac

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1654 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

Right at youtube video time 6:15, the ZR1 loses grip for a split second and the driver throws up his hand.

That's the difference in these two.

(although the GTR did manage a slight step ahead just before that moment).

Yeah, I think that was the final straw. The GT-R was already ahead by about 1.5 seconds going into that turn but that ZR1 slip sealed the deal. I was a little surprised that the ZR1 didn't seem to make up time on the long straight though.

#6 thebishman

thebishman

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

Did I miss something here?; (I did get up to have a cup of tea 2/3rds of the way through).

These cars were not on track at the same time, yes?

If they weren't, then were the videos shot on the same day; with the same driver; did the driver have way more experience in one of the vehicles versus the other, etc?

So yes, it's an interesting edited video; but if it's trying to prove the GT-R is faster around the 'ring than the ZR1, it fails.

Bish

#7 Skyliner

Skyliner

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6553 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:59 AM

Did I miss something here?; (I did get up to have a cup of tea 2/3rds of the way through).

These cars were not on track at the same time, yes?

If they weren't, then were the videos shot on the same day; with the same driver; did the driver have way more experience in one of the vehicles versus the other, etc?

So yes, it's an interesting edited video; but if it's trying to prove the GT-R is faster around the 'ring than the ZR1, it fails.

Bish

Both drivers are competent and know their cars. Weather conditions were also similar. Yes, the ZR1 could have been closer. What really matters is that these two cars are very very close, despite the 100 hp / 0.2 ton advantage of the Vette.

#8 amfaster

amfaster

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

Both drivers are competent and know their cars. Weather conditions were also similar. Yes, the ZR1 could have been closer. What really matters is that these two cars are very very close, despite the 100 hp / 0.2 ton advantage of the Vette.

What is that Suzuki vs a GM engineer? I don't suppose you would say the same if it were Jan vs a Nissan engineer as the results would surely be different.

Suzuki vs Jan would be a better matchup.

#9 Skyliner

Skyliner

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6553 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

Jim Mero, GM's development engineer is a very experienced driver. According to Corvette forums, he had over 1200 laps around the Ring and he is also a race car driver. He is definitely in the same or similar class as Toshio Suzuki.

#10 1 Matt

1 Matt

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

This video has the making of bringing any mixed manufacture car forum to the brink of all out war! ;)

#11 thebishman

thebishman

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

So the title of your thread here is complete fantasy, like pretty much every post you make.

Your OTT fanboyism means that anything you post about this great car, the GT-R, is suspect.

Now where's that ignore button.

Bish

#12 STI2EVO2GTR

STI2EVO2GTR

SpecV Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

Jim Mero, GM's development engineer is a very experienced driver. According to Corvette forums, he had over 1200 laps around the Ring and he is also a race car driver. He is definitely in the same or similar class as Toshio Suzuki.

:) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH :doh:
Johnny or Jan could take 5-8 seconds out of his time.

Edited by STI2EVO2GTR, 28 March 2011 - 03:48 PM.

#13 voodoo

voodoo

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

I remember an interview with Jan when he said he believed he could run the ring in under 7.20 with a stock ZR1. I doubt that GM is going to pay for another trip to the ring for any C6 vette.

:) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH :doh:
Johnny or Jan could take 5-8 seconds out of his time.

No Guts - No Glory
2014 Stingray Z51
2014 BMW M6 Coupe - SOLD
2011 Audi R8 5.2 Quattro - SOLD
2010 DODGE VIPER ACR - SOLD
2010 CORVETTE ZR1 - SOLD

#14 Skyliner

Skyliner

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6553 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

So the title of your thread here is complete fantasy, like pretty much every post you make.

Your OTT fanboyism means that anything you post about this great car, the GT-R, is suspect.

Now where's that ignore button.

Bish

There is no fantasy.... The title did not imply any of the thoughts that you made about this video. The opposite is true. You just didn't bother to read the subtitle: Synchronized Edited videos inside. :doh: :doh: next time read carefully! It's all in plain English.

#15 MindlessOath

MindlessOath

NISMO Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11288 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

i dont doubt for a secound that the zr1 can go faster and the driver who did drive it, is very experianced! there are many cars in the past that could go faster than what was already recorded for them. differnt drivers, lots of time in the car, must have a good day with no issues on a dry track etc.

they are both fast as hell cars.

/end

#16 vtknight

vtknight

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2942 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

I hear the critisms of fanboyism - but to be fair - I don't see that here.

This is a syncronized video. I can't say that the ZR1 is quicker or slower than the DBA - but if GM wanted a better time - they should have brought a better driver (I'm glad "Jan" thinks he could lap the NBR in under 7:20 - give him some airfair and a car and let's see).

At least Nissan puts their best guy behind the wheel instead of making excuses about driving skill later on - which by the way - the engineer from GM was point for point until almost 5:50 of the video. He then made the one glaring error - but was already behind by then.

There seems to be so many people here thinking that the ZR1 is so much faster than the DBA - I don't know if there is evidence to support that. Fastlaps doesn't have the ZR1 with more wins/faster times than the amount of CBA times - does the GT-R always have the better driver?

I know the ZR1 is very fast - but I'm not so sure that it is superior to the DBA on a (or at least every) track.

#17 Norm McAverage

Norm McAverage

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

Nissan is already saying they could go faster too.

I think GM is busy marketing the Carbon package for the Grand Sport and the Z06 at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jan et others sent back to the Ring this spring/summer. Would make sense to do what Nissan does and bring a whole slew of cars for a Ring day.

Manufacturer laps aren't my favorite source of the info though.

Horst von Saurma did 7:34 in a DBA first-drive, and will try again in a Supertest.

He also did 7:38 in a ZR1 Supertest. That was the 2010 model. Perhaps the new one can shave the 4+ seconds it's gonna need to keep up with Horst's first try in the DBA. But then again, perhaps Horst will do better a second time around. Time will tell.

Edited by Norm McAverage, 28 March 2011 - 07:32 PM.

Chapman philosophy: simplify, then add lightness.

Mizuno philosophy: add convenience and technology to gain confidence behind the wheel; make a GT car that's faster than every sports car.

#18 amfaster

amfaster

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

Do you know what factory racing driver means? Think about all of the other drivers Nissan initially had testing the 1st gen GT-R, then Suzuki came in and blew them all away. Do you remember that?

#19 Guibo

Guibo

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:25 AM

The 2010 GT-R was already faster using the same method:

Mero may have had 1200 laps, but that's not 1200 laps in the ZR1. So, not quite the same as Suzuki whose lived and breathed in the GT-R for multiple years now.
Also, GM said the ZR1 hit a strong headwind on the final straight. Based on the driving of this ZR1 (sort of messy in some places), I'd say Jan's claim is pretty believable.

#20 Norm McAverage

Norm McAverage

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:05 AM

And Mizuno said the GT-R lap was damp...

Given perfect conditions, perhaps more time could be shaved from both cars.

But the question is less which one of these is faster, because they are so close it will likely be the drivers' race; and more just astonishing what both can do for what you pay for them.

Regardless of which car 'wins' by a tenth or a second or whatever, I still think the GT-R is the better package.

Edited by Norm McAverage, 29 March 2011 - 05:07 AM.

Chapman philosophy: simplify, then add lightness.

Mizuno philosophy: add convenience and technology to gain confidence behind the wheel; make a GT car that's faster than every sports car.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users