Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,905 Posts

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
Welcome - what gen A9 and motor/trans built ? Absolute beast on the street if so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome - what gen A9 and motor/trans built ? Absolute beast on the street if so.
The Alpha 9 kit was installed by AMS Chicago in 2015, and stock motor and trans at this point.... so it was tuned accordingly. Kind of been eyeing the Shep 2.5 to then support E85.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
Newer A9 so those are good for high 8’s and 1000hp. I wouldn’t waste your money on a stage II. Those are happy at 800/600 +/- and your weak link at that point is the rods.

Just remember not to drive it like a vette lol - don’t load the engine up for long periods of time in a low gear - just downshift.

Welcome and enjoy it - fun street car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Newer A9 so those are good for high 8’s and 1000hp. I wouldn’t waste your money on a stage II. Those are happy at 800/600 +/- and your weak link at that point is the rods.

Just remember not to drive it like a vette lol - don’t load the engine up for long periods of time in a low gear - just downshift.

Welcome and enjoy it - fun street car.
So are you suggesting to do engine work (pistons, rods, etc) before trans? Dyno sheet when A9 complete was done in 2015 shows about 690 hp / 610 tq. Attaching the graph

Attachments

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
690/610 is super conservative and probably close to wastage on those turbos, I’d get a flex fuel setup with a retune and run them at 800/600 +/- all day long.

If you build the engine then you’ll need to move to a OneK transmission anyways.

Decent step up at that point in terms of price and why most guys don’t do it. If your going to spend $60k why not swap the turbos out at make 1300+ ?

It’s one of those slippery slopes.

Leadtimes are crazy right now for parts, so I’d just call and ask Martin for a retune.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
690/610 is super conservative and probably close to wastage on those turbos, I’d get a flex fuel setup with a retune and run them at 800/600 +/- all day long.

If you build the engine then you’ll need to move to a OneK transmission anyways.

Decent step up at that point in terms of price and why most guys don’t do it. If your going to spend $60k why not swap the turbos out at make 1300+ ?

It’s one of those slippery slopes.

Leadtimes are crazy right now for parts, so I’d just call and ask Martin for a retune.
Thanks for the info. Even when it gets into boost now and pulls... its aaaadddictingggg

·
Registered
632 Posts
Droptopp is right. Do it right, once, the first time.

Avoid that Stage 2.5 and get the Shep 1k and be set to grow into it.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Congrats bro! I just picked up a stock 2009 with 13k miles a few months ago and planning on doing a similar build.

May I ask what you picked the car up for? Curious to compare to what I paid. lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats bro! I just picked up a stock 2009 with 13k miles a few months ago and planning on doing a similar build.

May I ask what you picked the car up for? Curious to compare to what I paid. lol
Nice, 13K for an 09, thats really low mileage. Mine has 34K, and I got it from a relative with a terminal illness... so i got the "family" discount.

Oh- and with the alpha 9 build with stock engine/trans... i put the trans in limp mode for the first time this weekend...

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
Nice, 13K for an 09, thats really low mileage. Mine has 34K, and I got it from a relative with a terminal illness... so i got the "family" discount.

Oh- and with the alpha 9 build with stock engine/trans... i put the trans in limp mode for the first time this weekend...
That happens usually from wheel hop causes from lack of traction.

If you feel hop, abort the pull.

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
6,014 Posts
Welcome!!

Happy Motoring…

1 - 17 of 17 Posts