Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I'm excited to enter the GT-R world officially after dreaming and working hard for years!

Proud owner of a 2013 Black Edition with just about 40k km's

What this thread is all about: I wanted to get *updated* opinions of people, on where to go to get stuff done to the godzilla

So, I plan on seldomly taking the car to Vancouver (because of the bugs, possible rock chips, etc.), therefore it's important for me to find reliable (and reasonably priced) service providers and suppliers - them "connects", you know.

At the moment the car's great - but very soon (very, very - asap) I want to get the windows tinted, the car wrapped, and the headlights swapped out for '15+ headlights.

First thing: the tint, I'm sure a "connect" would probably be the same quality/price as any guy i find highly rated on Google.. Right? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Second: the lights. Now, from where I stand, knowing what I know, I could either buy them online (most likely an American retailer, estimated USD $3k for the set) - or get them from a local dealership. I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow for a price quote, but does anyone have any suggestions as for any other supplier I haven't thought of?

My passenger side headlight has a leak, so the condensation is bugging me X-|

I hate to ask - would Lordco be a good place to shop for parts?

I used to work on cars and stuff, and I used to swear by Lordco.

Lastly, the wrap - I think I'll probably make an exception and take it to a recommended shop in the lower mainland (Richmond most likely), unless I can find the same quality/price in Kelowna!

This is for now.

Eventually I'll need to look into seeing what tools I'll need to get most of the fluid changes done myself. Also, where to get said fluids (which brand, supplier, etc).

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I found my tuners/mechanics - www.classifiedmotorsports.com

Please let me know if anyone has had any experience with them working on r35's.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,135 Posts
Send me a pm and i'll sign you u p to our local vancouver facebook page for r35 owners.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Update: quote from Kelowna Nissan for '15 headlights - $2400 each (plus taxes)

Might just get them from the states - $3k USD ($3.9k CAD), plus what, 12% duties? It'd still be cheaper them the local dealership i'm thinking..

Send me a pm and i'll sign you u p to our local vancouver facebook page for r35 owners.
Will do! I don't have a fb profile, but I'll get the wife to join.

·
Super Moderator
9,135 Posts
Update: quote from Kelowna Nissan for '15 headlights - $2400 each (plus taxes)

Might just get them from the states - $3k USD ($3.9k CAD), plus what, 12% duties? It'd still be cheaper them the local dealership i'm thinking..

Will do! I don't have a fb profile, but I'll get the wife to join.
There is a guy that sells oem ones for less than that. There is also the Spyder headlights and tails as an option.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a guy that sells oem ones for less than that. There is also the Spyder headlights and tails as an option.
I've given the Spider one's a lot of thought, and I just feel like oem ones would just add more value longterm, if that makes sense.

I'll pm you about the fella selling oem's

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
5,953 Posts
I've given the Spider one's a lot of thought, and I just feel like oem ones would just add more value longterm, if that makes sense.
I concur, I like to buy OEM in regards to items like these.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Brakes:
getting new rotors, AP racing J-hook's
Not sure about the pads just yet - might go with basic hawks since the most aggressive I get is doing highway pulls or a bit of aggressive city driving.

Headlights:
Currently on hold

Bolt-ons:
Spoke to [email protected] and went with the recommendation of going midpipe > intake > injectors > downpipe.
When I was looking at the midpipe alone, I liked the HKS, AAM resonated ones. But then a friend pointed me to exhausts (catback), and I fell in love with the Amuse R1 setup. A close second choice would be the Tomei Titanium expreme.
Now I have to decide with I'm going with a $1k midpipe or a $5k exhaust setup (for Tomei, more for Amuse R1)..

Extras:
I found these illuminated badges that actually seem pretty cool!
ROWEN is the brand apparently, here's a link to it: http://www.rowen.jp/shopdetail/000000002929/disp_pc/
The videos on YouTube have me convinced..but boy is it pricey for a badge.. But from what I gather, they use OEM badges, so the fit is A+

I recently got rock chips touched up - luckily I found myself a great local business, mobile and super friendly. Great pricing as well.

Got the windows tinted - 20% (the local guys didn't have the 10% I usually like, as it's close to the 5% 'limo' tint but not as dark)

Will upload pictures/videos as I go along, later..

Side note; I tried the 12Volt.Solutions' remote starter + smartphone link. The installation was a breeze - only if it worked.. :( I didn't want to be too persistent with the troublesome unit, so I got a refund from them. They're good people, I'll definitely go back and give it another go a few months down the road, once I get rid of the taste left by the last unit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also went out to get acquainted with the local tuning shop! Apparently there's only 2 in entire Kelowna (for "imports").

I went to Classified Motorsports. Friendly staff. Ended up buying a can of Boostane just 'cause.. Lol.
They're COBB certified, for what that's worth. Seem to know what they're doing - with subies.
Apparently I'm the second of only 2 R35's in the city. Mines all black, and as luck have it the other one's white!
I wonder if I should do a 'public' call/shout-out to get this guy to say whats-up.. Maybe he won't even give a f***

·
Registered
69 Posts
For what it's worth, here's an update:

(things slowed down more than I wanted, due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic)

Bought the car in April 2019, 40k km's on it. sitting at about 49,500 (just under 31k miles)

8.5k km's were put on the car as it was purchased. About 1k after installing intakes, using COBB's OTS stage 1 map (ACN91/CAN94, ECU+TCM)

I did the oil chance service myself at 45k, and decided to switch to a magnetic oil drain plug.

Fixed the leak in the passenger side headlight (Thanks to Wicked and his tutorial)

Side note: Cobb's OTS map is fine on regular mode(with the transmission/vdc switches, in terms of dynamic advance (only parameter i regularly keep an eye on, to see if there's knocking - if I'm observing the wrong parameter or if you sense a lack in my knowledge, please indulge! my primary emphasis is on keeping things stable, reliable)

but when i go into save mode on the transmission, I often see up to -4 degrees of Dynamic advance when doing my rolling soft-launches or highway pulls.

Anyone have any feedback on this? I'm not as concerned because on regular mode, not much if any dynamic advance..

I've recently switched from using ESSO 91 to Shell 91, as Shell is the only gas that doesnt have ethanol in it, according to the local tuner, but havent had even a full tank worth of run in before i started installing bolt ons (and now it's sitting as i await the local tuner to get his dyno fixed)

Bolt on's purchased ( * denotes installed)

COBB 3" big SF carbon fiber intakes *

ID1050x injectors *

AEM 340lph pumps *

VRSF catless resonated midpipe 3.5" SS cerakote'd *

VRSF catless downpipes 3.5" cast bellmouth, cerakote'd (in the process of installing as we speak - having trouble with the pre-cat bolts)

So far I've installed everything myself, MAJOR thanks to ALL the info on this website, back by the plethora of DIY videos on YouTube

Incoming upgrades: (to be installed before the tune, within the next couple weeks)

Flex Fuel kit (custom, SJL Custom Auto from Ontario)

COBB fuel pressure sensor

I'll be replacing the spark plugs as well, just so the tuner has a fresh set of plugs to play with. Also, i'll be doing a full trans+diff fluid service myself, before the tune (replace/service trans filters as well)

Tune: decided to go with Classified Motorsports as their a block from me, and happen to be COBB certified protuners for Subie's and GTR's

(~ CAD $1k for a custom, dyno tune)

Underlying reasons for this update:
I've been doing a lot of readin on "reliable hp/tq" out of stock engine/trans - and I quoted that because it seems like more of a perspective than a fact, unless one's building their block/trans.. but i want to have as much as I can lined up (even if its still on paper) to be ready for when i'm ready for that 1000whp/950tq awd reliable daily tune/setup.

I know my current injectors/pumps will be limiting for that goal - also i havent mentioned the turbo+IC stuff, so just to be clear: I've got a long term goal, but I'm also working through short term goals - and I'd love to be safe/prepared for both.

I plan on hitting up a local (within british columbia) for a set of custom, bespoke turbo's (rated for up to 1000whp using stock housings) - shop's called Spectrum Motorsports in the Lower Mainland.

I'm hoping guys from BC, or Canada even, will chime in - with updated (2020) experience/knowledge, preferably specific to Canadian ownership.

(I'd love [email protected] to tune my car, as he's probably the best tuner within close proximity, that I know of, but again - this coronavirus puts a damper on travel)

I'm pausing on the brake upgrade until I *NEED* it..

Anyone heard of the tuner? Any recommendations on parts?
I know. should get an aftermarket intercooler - Spectrum Motorsports is testing outa custom IC for R35's, using Garrett cores, so I'll patiently wait on them as they'd probably be my best bet for best pricing on a Turbo+IC package, rated for 1000whp

When I am ready for the Turbo+IC upgrade, I'll be (hopefully) getting *at the very least* a full transmission build (all 6 gears) from SJL Custom Auto, as they seem to have a decent reputation, and have helped me alot with free advice, like properly matching my front tires to my new rears, so i dont risk damaging the front diff..

Tires:

I was oem (255/40r20 front, 285/35r20 rear), but upgraded rear's to NT555's @ 305/35/r20 for more grip, as the previous set only had 3mm tread left and i was fishtailing/spinning out in mild rain/snow at about 60km/h speeds... Now I have to "tire match" and upgrade fronts to 275/40r20's (waiting on the fbo - minus turbo+ic - stage to complete, including tune)

I've been told the injectors/pumps will limit me in terms of power if running ethanol, but apparently I can hit 800whp on pump gas?

I don't plan on going above 700hp/600tq with the current modifications - is that even feasible in your opinion?
I want to avoid bent rods or blown transmissions for now - I don't track the car, and only do occasional street racing (from light to light). I've never ran into roll races as I don't seek them, nor am I driving as much as I'd like to (but I'd be interested in roll racing, and launching the fack out of my car, come this summer)

Gas in Kelowna SUCKS! Vancouver has better gas then us.. That's why I was thinking of getting a FlexFuel tune (91 pump to E85), and run shell91+boostane per tank until I run into E85 pumps (one in abbottsford as far as i know, besides U.S.) or buy drums from my local tuner.

The car's a black edition, so i intend on keeping certain elements stock: wheels, spoiler, interior (for the foreseeable future) - mentioned this just in case someone wants to comment on my tires.

(will throw out more info as time comes)

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you decide to swap out your emblems let me know! Im looking for stock ones :dance:
As much as I wanted those Tommy Kaira badges, I've decided to retain as much of the exterior as possible in factory condition (minus the wrap, but that's superficial)

I had to convince the wrap guys to put the Nissan emblem back on, lol

I've even put the headlights/tail lights upgrade on hold - I'm a boost addict now, and I needs to have MOAR BOOST

·
R35 Owner
381 Posts
Doug @ WGP tuned my car. Pulled 813 whp with tires spinning at 621 TQ on E70.

I would recommend building your car in steps. I went from pretty much stock (aside from intake and exhaust) to FBO E85 with Turbos upgraded within 6 months of ownership. Build it slow and enjoy every minute of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well put.

That's what I'll do. I'll finish the bolt Ons for what I have. Get the tune.
Then work towards the "1000whp rated" turbo+IC, then get the new tune, so forth.

I'm just so damn ansy.. But I can't go broke with this obsession.

Doug @ WGP tuned my car. Pulled 813 whp with tires spinning at 621 TQ on E70. I would recommend building your car in steps. I went from pretty much stock (aside from intake and exhaust) to FBO E85 with Turbos upgraded within 6 months of ownership. Build it slow and enjoy every minute of it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Going to be selling the arm 340lph pumps soon - decided to go with the Visconti fuel basket, stg2, with twin walbro 525 pumps, with the hardwire kit to go with it.
Reason: I don't want to handle the issue of not being able to service oem fuel filters later - since I'll be sporting a flex fuel tune, from what I read the factory post pump filters don't last long with e85 due to the water/moisture it attracts

Purchased items coming:
-Set of new spark plugs
-Torque solution thermal gaskets for both throttle bodies and intake manifold
-Flex fuel kit (custom, SJL custom auto)
-Fuel pressure sensor (SJL custom auto)

To be purchased, just waiting on invoicing:
-Visconti fuel basket (stg2, twin walbro 525)
-Visconti fuel basket hardwire kit
-Custom intercooler (22x9x4, billet ends, Garrett cores)

I have to hold off on the transmission and differential fluid change since the car isn't running - once I get the tune, that's the first thing I'll do, before even running logs for refinement of the tune.

As stated, the headlight leak is fixed, so that's going back on.

New tires going on as soon as this coronavirus lockdown ends..

More updates to come

BTW for pictures I'd recommend following my Instagram - I can't upload them to these posts and hosting them is a hassle I can't be bothered with.
Pictures won't be of anything anyone hasn't ever seen, but for whatever it's worth, if you're curious.

Just dying to hear the car run again - the new pipes should definitely make it sound like a new car :)

Sourced e85 locally, by the drum - to my door - it works out to CAD $3 per litre, taxes included. That's about USD $8 per gallon for you American brothers, with the current exchange rate. *Sigh* good thing it's a flex fuel tune..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.