Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
R32 Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of contemplating and buying a r35, I am considering purchasing a 1990 Gt-r through International Vehicle Imports.

Its posted as stock #3698 (black). It is Surprisingly super clean, with 48k miles. I am still questioning the Sales associate about how everything happens/and about the car at this time. I am also going to ask for better pictures of the undercarriage/frame etc. He sents me a couple videos of the engine running.. and it sounds solid, but thats not much to go on.

I do not Live in California where the car is (Chicago). As much as id love to go see/test drive the car it is not possible.

Has anyone here Bought there r32 from them? How was the transaction if its similar to mine, being in a different state.

How does the Deposit to Hold the car work? Am I just giving these guys my $ if I do not choose to purchase it? .. I am planning on doing it via certified check.

Is there any type of inspection/testing I can get done/ask for?

If the car is Not Titled in the U.S. Yet.. should I back out of a deal?- I just want to make things easier. - Such as Registering the vehicle, they "should" provide everything I need, and besides the headache at Dmv.. what else should I be prepared for/need?

Given the fact that nothing is 100% just like a 25 year old car. What kind of things should I ask about the car?- besides the obvious (pictures/documention/videos). Since I cannot actually see the car/engine.

Yes I know its not the best idea to purchase a car I havent seen with my own eyes or driven, Im not asking about that. I am asking what things I should look for/need Before & After the transaction is completed.

There is a million things that could be wrong with the car, but what can I do to prevent buying a moneypit? I aready plan on doing a tuneup etc once its in my hands, followed by light mods but nothing serious. -So I am okay with SOME surprises if they arise, as long as its not a engine overhaul and electrical nightmare.

Any feedback (besides negative) is Greatly Appreciated. I will probably have more questions, its just 4am and at top of my head. Thanks!

·
R32 Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And even the engine (and the stickers) look super clean/stock. Do you think this Gt-r was modified back to Factory?

Car Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

And here are some pics btw sorry- Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Car Steering part

Attachments

·
951Zilla
320 Posts
Hello K405 welcome. I just recently purchased my GTR from overseas. Altho I don't have first hand owner experience, I have done a ton of research on the typical problems and the import process itself.

I am pretty knowledgeable about performance cars and the buying process for a GTR. I too bought a car sight unseen and I have to say yes it is a bit strange and stressful to say the least. From my research on the matter IVI was one of the dealerships/importers I was considering and almost went with. I am not far from IVI (30 miles) if you need someone to go look at the car for you and provide feed back from a neutral party on the status of the car. Shoot me a Private message if you are interested in scheduling a time to check it out.

·
Dream Crusher
2,818 Posts
Sean Morris is a good guy and very knowledgable when it comes to importing cars and Nissan Skylines. I vouch for him

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
After months of contemplating and buying a r35, I am considering purchasing a 1990 Gt-r through International Vehicle Imports.

Its posted as stock #3698 (black). It is Surprisingly super clean, with 48k miles. I am still questioning the Sales associate about how everything happens/and about the car at this time. I am also going to ask for better pictures of the undercarriage/frame etc. He sents me a couple videos of the engine running.. and it sounds solid, but thats not much to go on.

I do not Live in California where the car is (Chicago). As much as id love to go see/test drive the car it is not possible.

Has anyone here Bought there r32 from them? How was the transaction if its similar to mine, being in a different state.
I bought my Nismo from them and the car was exactly as presented - not the best condition but that was the reason why it was going for cheap and I knew what the situation was going in. I was from a different state but in Arizona though so I was able to come and inspect the car first.

How does the Deposit to Hold the car work? Am I just giving these guys my $ if I do not choose to purchase it? .. I am planning on doing it via certified check.
I put down a deposit on mine as well and got an invoice that clearly stated the deposit was returnable for any reason that the deal fell through. Sean Morris owns IVI and he's been a stand-up guy since I bought mine. I wouldn't expect any issues getting your money back as long as everything is stated clearly. He's been quick to answer any questions I've had on the car since buying it.

Is there any type of inspection/testing I can get done/ask for?
I inspected my car myself with the help of some friends so I don't know if they can arrange one for you without coming down to Cali. Your best bet is to have someone local check it out so that you get an independent appraisal. This car looks reasonably unmolested but R32 GT-Rs are complicated things so an inspection is your best bet. A lot of them also have unreliable mileages because the speedo is easy to swap out - most of the time it's for benign reasons though and not to cheat, like replacing the OEM 180kph speedo with an aftermarket one that reads higher. This car looks like it still has the stock speedo but its worth checking the papers and the actual car still to see if the mileage seems believable. Rust would be my biggest concern especially on the shock towers and fender wells where it's common but hard to see especially from just pictures. The engine would be my next concern. Ideally I'd want compression test numbers if I couldn't inspect and drive the car myself.

If the car is Not Titled in the U.S. Yet.. should I back out of a deal?- I just want to make things easier. - Such as Registering the vehicle, they "should" provide everything I need, and besides the headache at Dmv.. what else should I be prepared for/need?
All the cars IVI sells AFAIK are not titled in the US. They'll give you the needed paperwork and help you out with the process by phone but there will be legwork involved. They followed up with me regularly after the sale until all the registration details were worked out. A lot of your questions are answered on my blog so I suggest you read through it.

Given the fact that nothing is 100% just like a 25 year old car. What kind of things should I ask about the car?- besides the obvious (pictures/documention/videos). Since I cannot actually see the car/engine.
Check my blog for inspection tips and pitfalls of owning an R32 in the US.

Yes I know its not the best idea to purchase a car I havent seen with my own eyes or driven, Im not asking about that. I am asking what things I should look for/need Before & After the transaction is completed.

There is a million things that could be wrong with the car, but what can I do to prevent buying a moneypit? I aready plan on doing a tuneup etc once its in my hands, followed by light mods but nothing serious. -So I am okay with SOME surprises if they arise, as long as its not a engine overhaul and electrical nightmare.
Again see my blog

Any feedback (besides negative) is Greatly Appreciated. I will probably have more questions, its just 4am and at top of my head. Thanks!
I've tried to answer your questions above but there's a lot of info to cover. What I would suggest is you go to my blog at 23gt.blogspot.com- almost all of your questions are covered there in much more detail than I can repeat here.

IVI is a good company BUT you're on the East Coast. If I were you I'd look at someone more local like Japanese Classics or see about importing the car yourself straight from Japan and save a bunch of money. The main advantage with buying from a reputable US seller is that you can inspect the car yourself but if you can't do that then the extra money isn't that worth it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Check out Rivsu Imports as well. I plan to go to them for my next import since I will also buy a car unseen.

The biggest strength Rivsu has over the others is that they have a full service facility with experienced Skyline mechanics. And Rivsu will do the receiving of cars themselves and absorb potential risks. If a window is broken or a headlight is missing, they will fully service the car before delivery without extra cost to customer.

One thing to keep in mind is their list price already includes 6% vehicle sales tax. In Texas the vehicle sales tax is 6.25%, and that means I only need to pay the 0.25% difference when I turn that Florida car title in for a Texas car title.

·
R32 Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. Also reassuring me that IVI is pretty Legit. I am 90% sure I will try to get this gtr if everything else holds up.

Also for the Links/blogs.. Very helpful! Same with the PMs. I was really worried about the Legal side of everything, but with the feedback you guys shared.. I shouldnt have much to worry about besides the actual integrity of the car.

Im just hoping the car is still available by the end of the week to start the process!

Any other info is greatly appreciated as well to previous post readers/or new.

Thanks again

·
R32 Member
371 Posts
Check out Rivsu Imports as well. I plan to go to them for my next import since I will also buy a car unseen.

The biggest strength Rivsu has over the others is that they have a full service facility with experienced Skyline mechanics. And Rivsu will do the receiving of cars themselves and absorb potential risks. If a window is broken or a headlight is missing, they will fully service the car before delivery without extra cost to customer.

One thing to keep in mind is their list price already includes 6% vehicle sales tax. In Texas the vehicle sales tax is 6.25%, and that means I only need to pay the 0.25% difference when I turn that Florida car title in for a Texas car title.
I have been following Rivsu for about a year on/off. They just do not have the stock of gtrs in the states to select from. I am looking for a Black, ~50k miles, "near" new condition, I havent really seen one yet from them.. But i could be wrong seeing that I am going by pictures. I do not have the patients or funds to wait on a Specific one to import otherwise yes it would be easier.

If this Gtr doesnt come through I will definately be searching for another one to buy before summer arrives.

-Anyways for those that have had theres Delivered/Transported... How long did it take after the transaction was made? I know it would very by location... but seeing if its a somewhat imediate process to get it in my hands.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I have been following Rivsu for about a year on/off. They just do not have the stock of gtrs in the states to select from. I am looking for a Black, ~50k miles, "near" new condition, I havent really seen one yet from them.. But i could be wrong seeing that I am going by pictures. I do not have the patients or funds to wait on a Specific one to import otherwise yes it would be easier.

If this Gtr doesnt come through I will definately be searching for another one to buy before summer arrives.

-Anyways for those that have had theres Delivered/Transported... How long did it take after the transaction was made? I know it would very by location... but seeing if its a somewhat imediate process to get it in my hands.
Sounds like this car meets all your needs then. When I bought my car from IVI I had it in my driveway 3 days after I went there to make the payment and it took that long only because I paid on a Saturday lol. They shipped my car out fast. Of course I'm in Arizona, to the East Coast car transport would probably take 5-7 days pure travel time based on when I shipped my R35 to Georgia from here. It can take a while to arrange a shipper though depending on exactly where you're located and especially if you want a good enclosed transport with a lift instead of a ramp.

·
R32 Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like this car meets all your needs then. When I bought my car from IVI I had it in my driveway 3 days after I went there to make the payment and it took that long only because I paid on a Saturday lol. They shipped my car out fast. Of course I'm in Arizona, to the East Coast car transport would probably take 5-7 days pure travel time based on when I shipped my R35 to Georgia from here. It can take a while to arrange a shipper though depending on exactly where you're located and especially if you want a good enclosed transport with a lift instead of a ramp.
Excellent. Thanks for all the help GSX-R35!

·
R32 Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Electric blue

So this is all I found on Illinois/Dmv Website. Im hoping that is All they are looking for, besides the Nhtsa thats already prepared for.

-If I am Financing the car (no actual title to work with) How does the Bill of sale work? Or its just the Dereg. And the rest of the documents IVI provide.

Sorry for the noob questions, just trying to dot my i's before I go take a visit to them.

Attachments

·
R32 Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 176082

So this is all I found on Illinois/Dmv Website. Im hoping that is All they are looking for, besides the Nhtsa thats already prepared for.

-If I am Financing the car (no actual title to work with) How does the Bill of sale work? Or its just the Dereg. And the rest of the documents IVI provide.

Sorry for the noob questions, just trying to dot my i's before I go take a visit to them.
Nevermind.. The bill of sale is a Seperate piece of document given from IVI. Lol

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
View attachment 176082

You already answered your question about the bill of sale so I thought I'd just say something since you mentioned financing - it's going to be next to impossible to get normal financing on a freshly imported JDM car with no title. Conventional banks won't finance a car older than a certain age (I believe 10 years is the max). There are certain companies that offer collector car financing but they'll only finance cars already titled in the US. Even with a title, collector car financing might not be an option for a JDM car since it doesn't have a Blue Book value for the company to reference. That leaves only personal loans or special collateral-free loans for people with excellent credit or maybe a loan through a credit union if you have a good relationship with them. Just thought I'd let you know that in case you haven't worked out the payment side yet.

·
R32 Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You already answered your question about the bill of sale so I thought I'd just say something since you mentioned financing - it's going to be next to impossible to get normal financing on a freshly imported JDM car with no title. Conventional banks won't finance a car older than a certain age (I believe 10 years is the max). There are certain companies that offer collector car financing but they'll only finance cars already titled in the US. Even with a title, collector car financing might not be an option for a JDM car since it doesn't have a Blue Book value for the company to reference. That leaves only personal loans or special collateral-free loans for people with excellent credit or maybe a loan through a credit union if you have a good relationship with them. Just thought I'd let you know that in case you haven't worked out the payment side yet.
So why would they even offer it then if thats the case lol? I am also aware of this.. As I ran into the problem before about 7 years back on a 96 M3 lol.

IVI briefly Stated- if my bank etc wouldnt approve, they would use one of there Lenders. I am curious to what hes says when I actually call soon. Hopefully my good credit comes into play otherwise I have some thinking to do. I already was thinking depending how my Pre-Dmv visit goes to see how they handle it.. If Ugly then I would go check out Rivsu.

·
951Zilla
320 Posts
For awhile I was looking at financing options also so that I could have gotten one last year.

The banks I know that do it for skylines are.

https://www.lightstream.com/

http://www.woodsidecredit.com/

https://www.jjbest.c...-financing.aspx

I talked to "Taylor" at JJbest when I was inquiring about financing mine. His name was recommended on one of the boards as the contact to speak to about approvals over there. I was told the credit requirements are pretty substantial mainly due to it being considered a high risk loan. He mentioned that they needed to see "a strong 680+". This I couldn't do. My credit is still undergoing repair from the wrecking ball that was my 20's. I mentioned I could get a cosigner in the low 700's and put 50% of the vehicle value down up front. He said they still wouldn't be able to do it.

I know people have gotten signature loans from their banks and also and others that have used homes for collateral. Those are the only ways I know of.

It's a feat indeed 20-30k cash is a very steep order. So knowing how difficult it can be for most to round up the $$ for this thing and some asshole says "you should have waited for the R34 GTR" like they will be going around like hotcakes... just laugh at them. Lets see that same guy come up with 75-100K cash in 2024. I don't know why but I get that from alot of people who seem to be forgetting that they cost so much.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
For awhile I was looking at financing options also so that I could have gotten one last year.

I talked to "Taylor" at JJbest when I was inquiring about financing mine. His name was recommended on one of the boards as the contact to speak to about approvals over there. I was told the credit requirements are pretty substantial mainly due to it being considered a high risk loan. He mentioned that they needed to see "a strong 680+". This I couldn't do. My credit is still undergoing repair from the wrecking ball that was my 20's. I mentioned I could get a cosigner in the low 700's and put 50% of the vehicle value down up front. He said they still wouldn't be able to do it.

I know people have gotten signature loans from their banks and also and others that have used homes for collateral. Those are the only ways I know of.

It's a feat indeed 20-30k cash is a very steep order. So knowing how difficult it can be for most to round up the $$ for this thing and some asshole says "you should have waited for the R34 GTR" like they will be going around like hotcakes... just laugh at them. Lets see that same guy come up with 75-100K cash in 2024. I don't know why but I get that from alot of people who seem to be forgetting that they cost so much.
Lightstream is a good option if you have excellent credit. If you have a score of 800+ their APR is lower than most new car loans but you have to have superb credit. I talked to JJBest as well before but at the time they said they would only do financing for US-titled cars so it was a no-go for a freshly-imported Skyline.

As for the people who think it's that easy to get an R33 or R34 or that people are overpaying for R32s, they don't know shit lol. I've run into many of those myself. I'll be getting myself an R34 in the future but knowing the probably cost I'm planning for it already and stocking up the shekels ahead of time lol.

·
951Zilla
320 Posts
As for the people who think it's that easy to get an R33 or R34 or that people are overpaying for R32s, they don't know shit lol. I've run into many of those myself. I'll be getting myself an R34 in the future but knowing the probably cost I'm planning for it already and stocking up the shekels ahead of time lol.
I know Right? lol.. I am planning to attempt to get an R34 GTR also. That was part of why I wanted an R32 right now instead of a supra or built evo. Performance differences aside I figured an R32 would give me experience with the GTR platform and help me understand all of the nuances and caveats of skyline ownership. Besides if that MP3 R34 GTR that I dream of never does come I'll be perfectly content with the Godzilla that started it all.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
People think us lot have overpaid for R32s are due to posts like this. Listed for $22k and then dropped to $17k in about a month's time.
http://zilvia.net/f/...ad.php?t=617361

And for those people who think they can just snatch a R34 when it turns 25, less than 2 months ago a R34 M-Spec Nür was auctioned for $85k USD. Let's see how much that will be worth in 2027 lol.
People ARE overpaying for R32s in the sense that there are a lot of overpriced cars out there that people are buying anyway despite cheaper options being available. That car you linked to is a case of someone buying a car at the peak of the hype and now can't get his money back - something I predicted would happen and wrote an article about months ago. That's no surprise. The people I'm talking about that irritate me are the ones that still keep saying that R32s in great shape are thick as thieves in Japan for dirt cheap (think 5 grand or so) just based on the stuff their best friend's brother's barber who likes Hondas told him. Yeah, no. That hasn't been true for a long time. The R32 market is going to go into a market adjustment now that supply is meeting demand and more cars are eligible for import so values are going to drop on regular R32s but it's not going to go back to pre-25-year exemption prices especially now that minna-san and his otouto know that there are a LOT of impressionable Americajin out there willing to pay beacoup bucks for their discards.

That phenomenon is hitting the R34 market already since that's the big one everyone wants and there are a lot fewer of them. An R34 M-spec Nur isn't the best example since that's a rare version to begin with (only 250 ever made) but even fairly common V-specs in good nip are 50-60 grand now so anyone looking for an R34 when they turn 25 will have to play ahead of the curve to avoid getting ass-raped. Buying an R32 now can be viewed as good preparation for 8 years hence lol.

·
R32 Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well it will be interesting to see what happens then. My unofficial Fico score has been Above 700 for the past year, last month it was 772, and 780s the months before.

I will comment back on this arm and legs for r32s and the future prices of r33-34s. Heading to work lol

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.