Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my FBO GT-R to a local drag strip for my first run ever. I have done a lot of reading on here so my plan is to drop my rear tire pressure to 28psi (335 Michelin PSS), run it in auto mode in R C Off settings (I have to turn VDC off so I can launch with my current tune) and play with my launch RPM's as I go.

I am very particular about my engine oil being up to temperature before spooling the turbos. I am not familiar with the lay out of the track yet or the time delay between runs. I assume that if there is no where to drive the car to get the temps up I would be forced to let it idle?

Just looking for some suggestions. As I said this is all new to me so please go easy as I'm sure it's probably a dumb question to those with a lot of experience lol.

Thanks

·
Vendor
3,602 Posts
My guess is that your engine oil will stay within operating temp because of the drive to the drag strip. Your trans temps might be a bit low. If any of your fluids are to low for your comfort the drag strip usually has a service road that you can drive up and down at a slow speed. This allows all your fluids to get up to temp. After the first run your temps will usually stay within a safe operating temp unless you wait for hours between runs.

Letting the car idle will bring up the engine and coolant temps but in my experience the trans temps will take a long time if the car isn't moving.

Have fun.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
I drive mine right to the track and get right inline and run. As fbo you won't see a huge variance from cold to hot. Personally I wouldn't even bother letting it cool down. Then you'll know what you run on the street anyways and if your not happy with the time, then just let it cool down.

The PSS isn't the greatest drag tire and depending on prep and your botl, your launch rpm will vary.

As fbo e85 no botl and 4100 on 12" R888 was an easy launch for me. I would say try 3800 with no botl and if a small amount in your tune, try 3200.

Good luck and have fun. That's all that matters.

·
Super Moderator
3,590 Posts
Your coolant and your trans oil temperatures must be 140 degrees or higher, or LC isn't enabled. There's usually never a problem with this on hot days with frequent runs, but on cold days, watch...

Also, unless your tune is set for a higher amount, you're limited to 4 LC launches, before a re-set by driving 1 mile or more.

If you stop your car repeatedly (as you move up in line) BE SURE to have your switches (R-C-Vdcoff or whatever) in the correct position; very easy to forget re-setting them in the excitement...

Alexd

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Same here, i drive mine to the drag strip go straight to the line to go down the track, no difference from cooling for 45 minutes.
Its summer, the car will heat up within 5 minutes or less and will not cool down unless it sits for hours. 140 for the tranny temp thats the most important and again it will not fall below that from the drive unless it sits for along long time. Tranny temps fall very slow. It will not launch unless its that. On your tires do a 3800-4100 rpm launch you will be fine unless the track prep uber sucks.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the tips! Weather permitting I'm taking my car to a 10,000' runway this Saturday. Should be fun and will give me the opportunity to practice my launches on a decent surface.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts