Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've owned my GTR for only 2 weeks now and have driven the darn thing every single day. it's pretty much been my daily driver to work and back (20 miles round trip) for monday thru friday, as well as some fun spirited driving on the weekends. here are my observations thus far:

1. i'm ruined for life! yes, the way this car performs is my new benchmark. the previous owner warned me about this and i sorta believed him but i didn't realize it was going to be this much of an impact. i can only imagine you peeps out there with even faster GTRs. what car do you go from here? from a total package + performance perspective? i'm thinking this car may be my last car.

2. this car makes so much mechanical sounds. a part of me loves it and another part of me hates it. i come from Audis and BMWs so i'm used to "more refined" and "quiet" vehicles. my last japanese car was a Z32 300ZX Twin Turbo and that was almost 10 years ago. since that time, i've had multiple flavors of S4, X5, M3, and A8... still have my latest M3 and A8. i was very surprised to find out about the normal "noises" that a GTR makes.

3. maybe it's just my geographical area but i don't get much attention at all, or at least i certainly don't notice it. this is a good thing because i was worried that the GTR may draw unwanted attention. i'm starting to think that at least 80-90% of the population in my town have no clue what a GTR is. i think people do notice that it's an unusually-looking car and it's "different" but that's it. cops don't even follow me around, or people for that matter. i'm kinda glad, actually.

4. the GTR feels so outta place in my town. most streets in my town are 25 and/or 35 so when i drive around town, i'm pretty much babying my car from one end of town back to the other. traffic isn't really bad at all but there is traffic and when i'm in town with traffic, i'm not a maniac driver so i would have to say 80-90% of the time, i'm driving in the negative boost levels. might as well not have turbos but they sure are fantastic when i floor it! i feel like i'm holding the car back, like i won't allow it to stretch it's legs. the highway is fun but getting to 100mph is so quick that the time on the highway is short-lived from point to point.

5. launch control is already starting to get old. don't get me wrong, it's hella fun but i find that flooring the gas is just as satisfying as launching it. i've got about 8 launches so far. there's no safe place to do it in town so i usually have to drive a little bit into the outskirts of town within country roads to really go at it. it seems somewhat of a chore to go out of my way just to launch it. for me, it's more fun just flooring it while on the on-ramp getting onto the highway.

don't take any of what i listed as negative. these are just my own personal observations. the GTR has met and surpassed all my expectations to-date. i have zero regrets buying this car and will enjoy it as much as possible. i know i will eventually get over this car and move on to something else but this car has imprinted something special in me and everyone should experience the rush that this car delivers.

a lot of people talk smack about this car but until you actually own one or get to sit in one at full acceleration, you can't appreciate what this car truly is or what a "fast car" truly is. everyone, and i mean everyone that i have given a ride to has only walked away with a smile and amazement at what this car can do.

just this past week, i converted a long-time lover of Camaros into someone who can appreciate the GTR. he drives a 2014 ZL1 and after going out in his car first, i told him that the experience in his car is nothing compared to the GTR. he hesitated to agree but when we got in my car and the moment i floored the GTR and thereafter, he had the biggest smile on his face and admitted he was wrong about this car. once he got behind the wheel and was able to feel what the GTR could do, he further confessed that he was wrong to base his judgement on what he read and heard versus seeking one out and getting first-hand experience. to say the least, his Camaro is up for sale.

i plan to share this car with as many people as possible. there's too much misinformation around this car plus it's not everyday you get to see one or sit in one, right?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Agree with every single word you wrote brother...well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
490 Posts
Where do you live?

Sent from my SM-N910K using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
9 Posts
d.v.,
I am anticipating purchasing my first GT-R this month I thank for the post, you put a smile on my face and you've made my day!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've owned two GT-R's, as well as two S4's, and I agree with your observation about the Audi's being quiet and refined. That's why I went with an AWE Touring exhaust, resonated downpipes, and USP intakes, after my Stage II pulley/engine/transmission tune. Now the car's sound actually matches the performance. Still, I miss my GT-R. If you look at my signature element, you'll see I've owned other high performance vehicles. But nothing has compared yet to the GT-R for overall performance, and making me feel like I own the road in front of me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good summary. I have had mine for about 4 months now and agree with all your points except one (people not paying attention to it/you). I have had nice cars/fast cars for quite a while (Porsche, vettes, RS4, H1, etc.). One of my other rides is a H/C Z06 all blacked out. It got a little attention driving around (its much louder than the GTR) but this thing is off the charts. I actually thought it would be about the same as the Vette but its WAY more noticeable. People do dumb things just to catch up on the interstate, hang out of windows with the thumbs up. I had a guy in a civic last week try to run me from a dig at a red light. He was probably 17/18 and there was no way I was going to launch on the street/locals roads - he ended up just leaving in the middle of the red light to get a jump. I didn't persue at all.
Amazing car for sure - I just wish it didn't attract the negative attention.
Have fun with it!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I totally agree too lol. Punching it in first gear is basically just as cool as launching. And the car is so fast I barely get to 'drive' it.

I'm starting to understand the ' more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow' thing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yep I'm "ruined for life" too. Modding and the R36 are my only two potential ways to move up. Ruined! My son too. He says my GTR ruined his Subaru STI making it slow by comparison. Crap!

About nobody noticing your GTR, I agree with the others here that you probably just aren't noticing therm. Try leaving off your stereo, keeping you windows rolled down, and looking at the people in the cars beside you and behind you more. At a stop light actually look side to side and in your mirrors more. I find that I focus so much on the road and safe driving that I miss tons of these GTR fans. This is verified by most of my passengers who regularly point out many many more gawkers than I see on my own. In fact my son the other day said that there aren't as many fans when he drives the car compared to when I am driving. I laughed and had to point out that he just doesn't see as many.

Great observations and a good post.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm starting to understand the ' more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow' thing.
i never looked at cars from this angle, i'm gonna steal this mentality.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well said, I am a new owner as well and agree with everything you said. My additions / observations would be that its precise and well engineered in all aspects. Steering, braking, accelerating are all pretty much perfect in all scenarios. Had Z06, Caddy CTS-V, BMW twin turbo's, etc. and thought after the BMW I wouldn't find another car that "communicates" that feel to the driver as well as the BMW car did. So glad I was wrong. Really been having a great time driving it. The dual clutch transmission really feels like a manual to me as well. Plus its better in traffic! Love that you can adjust the trans, suspension etc with a switch! Believe it or not, I haven't launched it yet. Haven't found the need to. I probably will end up modifying somewhat because I know what a good set of DP's, exhaust, injectors, intake, and a good tune can do to this car. Can keep the car "safe" and approach 700 HP. Dream come true! ha ha ha

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep I'm "ruined for life" too. Modding and the R36 are my only two potential ways to move up. Ruined! My son too. He says my GTR ruined his Subaru STI making it slow by comparison. Crap!

About nobody noticing your GTR, I agree with the others here that you probably just aren't noticing therm. Try leaving off your stereo, keeping you windows rolled down, and looking at the people in the cars beside you and behind you more. At a stop light actually look side to side and in your mirrors more. I find that I focus so much on the road and safe driving that I miss tons of these GTR fans. This is verified by most of my passengers who regularly point out many many more gawkers than I see on my own. In fact my son the other day said that there aren't as many fans when he drives the car compared to when I am driving. I laughed and had to point out that he just doesn't see as many.

Great observations and a good post.
i appreciate your insights but i do this as well (minus the stereo and window, i'm always listening to trance music and the hvac is always running, i don't like driving with the windows down). when i'm at a stand-still for a red light, i check my neighbors all around me and most if not all of them are minding their own business. when i'm driving down the street at 35mph, there's really no need to focus a lot of energy on the road cause i'm going so slow anyways so i'm always eye-wandering at people and cars, and most of them are minding their own business.

i have ran into a few ricers in town but they seem "afraid" of the car and keep their distance? i've also ran into a few very well-modded cars and they also seem "afraid" and keep their distance too. almost like they're giving me a lot of room and respect, or perhaps they just want a better view and by keeping further away, they get to see more of the car? yesterday i ran into a C5 Z06 and he kept very far back and never sped up to meet me. i'm convinced the majority of the people in my town have no clue what a GTR is.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where do you live?

Sent from my SM-N910K using GT-R Life mobile app
i need to start using the multi-quote reply option... i'm in central Wisconsin in the Wausau area.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great review. I've had my GTR for a few months now and I will tell you that if you do some mods the sounds your hearing now will pretty much disappear. I too was worried for a while at every little rattle, grind, knock, etc I was hearing. I installed FBO (still on 93 for now) and wow... All I hear is how loud the car is now.

I also still daily drive the GTR everyday even though I have a truck that should be used for driving to and from work. GTR is just too much fun. I even driver it when it's raining out, I just cannot help myself.

So basically I was right where you are at 2 weeks in, and now 3 months later I am still loving it.

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Over a year in for me and its still the best car Ive ever owned. Ive had 2 Vipers, 2 NSXs, Supra, RX7 3rd Gen, Diablo 6.0, AMG Mercedes, Ford Lightning, 300zx TT, CTS-V , 2 Corvettes, 2 BMWs, etc. and this car is by far, the most fun Ive had. The only other car on the same fun level was the Diablo 6.0 so thats good company to be it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you've come a long way from your original post hahaha

glad to see your enjoying it
Yea, lols. I would've joined the GTR family sooner but wanted to do it right the first time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great review. I've had my GTR for a few months now and I will tell you that if you do some mods the sounds your hearing now will pretty much disappear. I too was worried for a while at every little rattle, grind, knock, etc I was hearing. I installed FBO (still on 93 for now) and wow... All I hear is how loud the car is now.
Here are specs on mine:

2010 Premium
Intake
Midpipe
Cobb stage 2 Tune for 93
Cobb LC4

She makes enough noises.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Over a year in for me and its still the best car Ive ever owned. Ive had 2 Vipers, 2 NSXs, Supra, RX7 3rd Gen, Diablo 6.0, AMG Mercedes, Ford Lightning, 300zx TT, CTS-V , 2 Corvettes, 2 BMWs, etc. and this car is by far, the most fun Ive had. The only other car on the same fun level was the Diablo 6.0 so thats good company to be it.
Now THATS perspective!

·
RED MONSTER
1,796 Posts
I've owned two GT-R's, as well as two S4's, and I agree with your observation about the Audi's being quiet and refined. That's why I went with an AWE Touring exhaust, resonated downpipes, and USP intakes, after my Stage II pulley/engine/transmission tune. Now the car's sound actually matches the performance. Still, I miss my GT-R. If you look at my signature element, you'll see I've owned other high performance vehicles. But nothing has compared yet to the GT-R for overall performance, and making me feel like I own the road in front of me.
Dang I remember your stories about replacing your GT-R, never knew that it would end up being an Audi.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts