Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the market for a 2009-2010 GT-R in the range of 65K or less. I found this 2009 on Autotrader: Link

I am skeptical of the miles, but the carfax appears to be clean (1 owner, leased vehicle, sold at auction).

I would appreciate any input as to what the car is worth, or if it is even worth pursuing. Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I would make sure the car was maintained properly and then I wouldn't worry about the miles....seems to be reasonably priced and maybe you could get it for low 50's....I would definately take a good look at the condition of the car and not go solely on the pics....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight. I agree with what you said about not going by the pics. The driver's seat side bolster looks a little worn in one of the pics, and I have requested additional close-up pics. One issue is the dealer is about 200 miles from me. I have tried searching the forum, but cannot find a clear answer: is an extended warranty available for a car with this many miles? Thanks again for the help. I've seen how helpful everyone is in the other "noob/help buying" threads and figured I would give it a shot!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I agree with what you said about not going by the pics. The driver's seat side bolster looks a little worn in one of the pics, and I have requested additional close-up pics. One issue is the dealer is about 200 miles from me. I have tried searching the forum, but cannot find a clear answer: is an extended warranty available for a car with this many miles? Thanks again for the help. I've seen how helpful everyone is in the other "noob/help buying" threads and figured I would give it a shot!
200 miles is nothing.....take a drive and look at the car....if you're expecting a perfect condition car you're gonna be disappointed....remember, it's got 54K miles so it'll show, it's gonna show some wear.....the plus is you're getting a GT-R for a good price.....if you want near perfect car you're looking at another $10-12K.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
200 miles is nothing.....take a drive and look at the car....if you're expecting a perfect condition car you're gonna be disappointed....remember, it's got 54K miles so it'll show, it's gonna show some wear.....the plus is you're getting a GT-R for a good price.....if you want near perfect car you're looking at another $10-12K.....
Very good point. My main concern is ending up with something that has been abused and will need work, where I could have spent the extra $10k up front and got a well taken care of car. Here is another I am considering : 2009 GT-R Premium Thought on this in comparison to the other? Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Very good point. My main concern is ending up with something that has been abused and will need work, where I could have spent the extra $10k up front and got a well taken care of car. Here is another I am considering : 2009 GT-R Premium Thought on this in comparison to the other? Thanks again for the help!
just becasue a car has high miles does not mean it was abused....anyways, the autotrader listing is gone....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't be another price driven buyer. It is better to pay more for the right car. 54000 miles may not be huge but it is 54000 unknown miles to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't be another price driven buyer. It is better to pay more for the right car. 54000 miles may not be huge but it is 54000 unknown miles to you.
Point taken. The car sold anyway. I would much rather spend the extra money for a low miles car, in the scheme of things, what is an extra 10k for the additional assurance?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Point taken. The car sold anyway. I would much rather spend the extra money for a low miles car, in the scheme of things, what is an extra 10k for the additional assurance?
Exactly, not saying you should overpay, but I feel it's worth paying extra for a low miles, unmolested example with a provable history. Others will always say there is/ or they got a better deal but that is irrelevant. It is your dollar and there is nothing worse than getting it home and second guessing it's previous history. Good luck. I gave up looking for used and ordered a '13.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I would make sure the car was maintained properly and then I wouldn't worry about the miles....seems to be reasonably priced and maybe you could get it for low 50's....I would definately take a good look at the condition of the car and not go solely on the pics....
Low $50's for a GT-R? Once that drops down a bit more, we'll start seeing the backwards ball cap wearing types, with coffee can exhausts, and crappy do-dadds affixed all over the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Low $50's for a GT-R? Once that drops down a bit more, we'll start seeing the backwards ball cap wearing types, with coffee can exhausts, and crappy do-dadds affixed all over the vehicle.
I sold my 09 with 32K miles last year for $54.5K.....so whether you want to accept it or not these cars are going to depreciate in to the low 50's and at some point the 40's.....

·
Registered
822 Posts
was that to a dealer or private party? Dealers buy them for 55k then sell them for 65k dont think were going to see low 50s for a while.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
was that to a dealer or private party? Dealers buy them for 55k then sell them for 65k dont think were going to see low 50s for a while.
Private party sale....

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
True, as all cars will do, there will be depreciation. But for now the GT-R is still a unique supercar, and one of it's many characteristics I like is the exclusivity of it. Once it becomes too common I'll probably look at getting something else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To the OP: Don't mess with dealers if your going to buy an 09. Look for a low mile unit that is owned by an older well off gentlemen. These guys usually take very good care of their vehicles, and hardly if at all abuse them. You shouldn't pay more than 63K for a low mile one, stock, garage kept. If in the pictures you see the guy has several other very expensive cars in his possession, then you've most definitely found your car. A decent place to take a peek at is dupont registry.

yea, because all the "baseball cap" coffee can kids you mention have 50K to just blow - not to mention the bankroll to shell out a few G in cash for maintenance items. Some of you guys are so out of touch its unreal. 50K for a car, to most people, is wicked fucking expensive. If you told any "normal" people that we spend 2-3K on a brake job - and that was the bargain price - they would literary shit themselves on the spot.

·
The Antagonist
1,302 Posts
yea, because all the "baseball cap" coffee can kids you mention have 50K to just blow - not to mention the bankroll to shell out a few G in cash for maintenance items. Some of you guys are so out of touch its unreal. 50K for a car, to most people, is wicked fucking expensive. If you told any "normal" people that we spend 2-3K on a brake job - and that was the bargain price - they would literary shit themselves on the spot.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
To the OP: Don't mess with dealers if your going to buy an 09. Look for a low mile unit that is owned by an older well off gentlemen. These guys usually take very good care of their vehicles, and hardly if at all abuse them. You shouldn't pay more than 63K for a low mile one, stock, garage kept. If in the pictures you see the guy has several other very expensive cars in his possession, then you've most definitely found your car. A decent place to take a peek at is dupont registry.

I am not out of touch, but I respect your opinion. For the average Joe, yes, I agree completely with what you're saying. On the other hand, if Daddy is paying the bills, then don't be surprised to see some Junior or Senior pulling into the high school parking lot with one of our babies. Nice deal if you have it, but I never had a car all through high school, and, in fact, didn't buy my first car until I was 20. It was a '64 Rambler which I paid $400 for. But at least it got me from Point A to Point B.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Honestly, that is bad advice. You can still get screwed that way too. I bought a Diablo from a guy and it was paid off and I had been to his house and seen a huge boat, SLR, muscle cars, escalates, etc and I ended up having a $20k + repair bill almost immediately. Do you due diligence regardless of private seller or dealer!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Honestly, that is bad advice. You can still get screwed that way too. I bought a Diablo from a guy and it was paid off and I had been to his house and seen a huge boat, SLR, muscle cars, escalates, etc and I ended up having a $20k + repair bill almost immediately. Do you due diligence regardless of private seller or dealer!
Yea I agree, but most of the time you'll find these cars are pretty good. There have been people that bought used cars from trusted family members who got hunks of junk. There is no 100% safe method.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts