Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather permitting, I'm going to try to get some runs in this weekend (Oct. 15th). Temperature is falling, and we may play cat and mouse with isolated rain storms. We'll see.

Anyway, I'm going to run in the auto mode, and experiment with suspension settings (R, normal, or comfort), if I can get enough runs in (it may be very crowded).

Incidentally, in the current Road and Track, where the GT-R ran the Veyron and the Porsche, the recommended settings were R-R-R (by whoever wrote the article), despite what Nissan has apparently said works best R-C-R).

I'm guessing what's best may really be dependent upon strip conditions; "Comfort" supporting greater weight-transfer to the rear before the transmission begins its forward wheel compensation. But, I'm guessing that if traction is good, then minimum rising pitch would be best...or "R" setting. There may be other factors; maybe I'll have a chance to see.

Planning to go to Byron Dragstrip (near Rockford, Ill).

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Planning to go to Byron Dragstrip (near Rockford, Ill).
Alexd
Would appreciate any opinions about tire pressure for stock run-flats at the strip (with a relatively stock car)...

Alexd

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Unfortunately, I have no tips for you.

But, you're running a Cobb tune, right? Try it with and without LC and please let us know.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
Would appreciate any opinions about tire pressure for stock run-flats at the strip (with a relatively stock car)...

Alexd
If the car is stock.. Then it's a simple RRR , i really don't think it will makema difference with C on .

Leave it in auto mode for your first few passes..

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, I have no tips for you.

But, you're running a Cobb tune, right? Try it with and without LC and please let us know.
It is an aftermarket E-Tune; not specifically Cobb. I probably won't do that because LC4 is 4000 RPM. Anything else is 2000 RPM, with additional added screwing around and delay by the car's computer...the difference would be too great.

Again, there might be a great number of other racers, and I might only get in a few runs. Therefore my interest in variables will be mainly the suspension settings, and maybe launching in Manual. (I'm hesitant to launch in Manual because things happen very fast in 1st gear, and I'm not sure reaction time to the RPM "Red Light" is sufficient to avoid going into cut-off...I don't have the experience yet)

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone yet on stock Run-Flat tire pressures, for the strip?

Alexd

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
It is an aftermarket E-Tune; not specifically Cobb. I probably won't do that because LC4 is 4000 RPM. Anything else is 2000 RPM, with additional added screwing around and delay by the car's computer...the difference would be too great.

Again, there might be a great number of other racers, and I might only get in a few runs. Therefore my interest in variables will be mainly the suspension settings, and maybe launching in Manual. (I'm hesitant to launch in Manual because things happen very fast in 1st gear, and I'm not sure reaction time to the RPM "Red Light" is sufficient to avoid going into cut-off...I don't have the experience yet)

Alexd
you can set the green pre shift light on the tach to come on at 6300 the orange comes on soon after... it can help train you mentally to not hit redline

but with that said... there is no shame in auto..its perfect everytime without fail.... manual unless its a highly tuned car is just really to make you feel like your really doing something... ive done alot with both and never had over a tenth or less different either way

if your out there just having fun then try both...but if you only have a few runs or your up against a competitive car... why bother auto mode is a guarantee.... just dont hold the launch too long where it backs down to idle... you will bog off the line and run a 2 sec 60 ft

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
27-28ish

just dont throw the low pressure light... it think it comes on at 24psi on the MFD and the MFD and a hand guage can sometimes be a bit off
Thanks! Just out of curiosity, what would happen if the low pressure light came on? Would it hobble the car someway?

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can set the green pre shift light on the tach to come on at 6300 the orange comes on soon after... it can help train you mentally to not hit redline

but with that said... there is no shame in auto..its perfect everytime without fail.... manual unless its a highly tuned car is just really to make you feel like your really doing something... ive done alot with both and never had over a tenth or less different either way

if your out there just having fun then try both...but if you only have a few runs or your up against a competitive car... why bother auto mode is a guarantee.... just dont hold the launch too long where it backs down to idle... you will bog off the line and run a 2 sec 60 ft
Thanks! I know about the 3 second or so limitation on LC4. And I just want to go quickest; no problem with using Manual because of driver ego.

I had (on another thread) asked about what RPM Auto shifts at, at WOT, and where Manual's RPM cut-off comes in...the idea being that if (for a guess) Auto shifts at 6800, and Manual potentially might be shifted at 7200, there could/would be an advantage with Manual power-wise anyway, if accidentally hitting the cut-off could be avoided. But so far, no known answers...

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Results:

Got there early; waited for track to open. At first, just a few cars...then everyone showed up. I just got in two runs, as a third one would have cost an additional 2 hours of waiting.

I paid no attention to who was in the other lane, nor did I care when I launched...just as long as I did it right. I mashed the pedal after the "tree" started; I didn't want to hope that the line-man would start things within LC4's time limits. Engine responded quickly enough, though PERHAPS an extra hundred RPM might have been there, if I had waited longer.

First run: 10.914/126.54 R-C-R Auto 1.724 (60') LC4
Second and last run: 10.904/126.57 R-R-R Auto 1.723 LC4

So, very consistent, and the suspension question remains unanswered, as far as today goes.

Conditions: 1000' (I think Above Sea Level) 60 degrees 60% humidity strong cross-wind (no tailwind) tracked hooked up well, no noticeable slip.
1/2 tank of 93 octane gas and other crap in the car because I had no pit crew, or place to store things. The 10.904 would have gone into the extreme high 10.899 or so, if I had dumped some weight. Stock Run-flats, set at 28 psi all around.

My car is a 2012 with 2300 miles on it. Performance mods are only two: Wonderful preliminary tune by AMS, adjusted further by their E-Tune consultation. And, AAM resonated mid-pipe (no cats).

I'm happy, but still searching for any further "bang-for-the-buck" mods. It will never be down-pipes or exhaust...I don't like noise; the mid-pipe is all I will tolerate. (Looking at air-filter-intakes and asking a lot of questions about MAFs and injectors)

Alexd

Attachments

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
congrats! those are nice consistent runs! those are dead on with one another pretty much...

your 1/8th mile times and resulting 1/4's keep my dream for a stock 10.99 alive!

did you get to try manual at all?

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
congrats! those are nice consistent runs! those are dead on with one another pretty much...

your 1/8th mile times and resulting 1/4's keep my dream for a stock 10.99 alive!

did you get to try manual at all?
I would have liked to try Manual, but only two runs...at least I changed the suspension settings between them.

In your case: remove your floor mats, drain your window-wiper fluid, empty your glove-box, run on fumes...get that weight down! Between runs (if hot) open your hood so that your air-intakes lose heat. And, as the weather gets colder, WATCH that you don't Disable LC because the transmission oil temp falls below 140 between runs. THIS ALMOST HAPPENED TO ME TODAY!

Alexd

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
i ran 3 of mine pretty close together so my trans temp was at 204 during my runs and even after it sat for the last one.. it was 185.... i did have the transmission light come on after i got off the line on my 4th run... as usual it upshifted quickly to 3rd... that didnt really ruin the run but the VDC coming on at the same time from bad wheel spin did

haha yeah actually my carbon floor mats are pretty heavy... my trick is i always fold my side mirrors in for my last run of the night!!

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha yeah actually my carbon floor mats are pretty heavy... my trick is i always fold my side mirrors in for my last run of the night!!
I never thought of that!!! Good thinking.

Alexd

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
I never thought of that!!! Good thinking.

Alexd
well it started as a joke when i had my 09 GTR as i was running 11.4s with just and exhaust and wanted to run a 11.3 with no tune and on my last run of the night i told a friend im gonna tuck the mirrors... and bam 11.3... so then this year i was at the 8th and trapped a 99.8 even though it was muggy and humid....... i tucked the mirrors and yup i hit 100...so its sort of a superstition i got know.. i just go with it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts