Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Guys and Girls,

Just wanted to officially post some graphs on the difference between the 2012 GTR and 2009 GTR's that we have dyno'd. We will also show some of the gains from modifying them.

The 2012 was brought to VEX 100% stock with apx 6000km on the car. Our Baseline is below

As estimated we see significant gains vs prior generations of GTR's. Also as estimated a simple boost increase from a 2011 creates similar gains.

We Then Installed AMS Downpipes and a COBB Midpipe with High-flow Cats. This customer retained his OEM Axle-back exhaust (Sorry for the poor quality pictures!)

At the time our customer purchased his Accessport he wasn't aware that VEX Did tuning in-house and went for a custom e-tune from the USA. This custom tune runs a peak of about 20.4psi of boost, which is significantly higher then we would normally run on pump gas.

We have compaired the results from this e-tuned 2012 GTR to our in-house tuned 09 GTR. The cars are similar in modifications, but the 09 GTR retains OEM Downpipes, but additionally has COBB Intake's and a Stillen Down-pipe back exhaust. Both cars tuned on Husky 94. You will notice gains on the 2012 below 3500rpm from the downpipes. They help the turbo spool that much faster! You will also notice that our midrange and overal numbers are VERY similar but the in house tuned GTR is running significantly less boost.

2012 E-Tune is running a peak of about 20.4psi, where as our 2009 GTR is only running about 18psi peak boost. At our altitude the gains are negligable, but overall stress and heat would be increased running higher boost then needed.

In conclusion there is still great gains to be had, at our altidude in Calgary with a 2012 GTR. With a full exhaust and a great tune the magical 500whp could be obtainable! Also those with older generation GTR's are only a good tune, and possibly an exhaust away from the same power to the wheels!

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is the exact correction used

weather station data
Ambient Temp. 70.1 degF
Humidity 39.8 %
Press. 26.27 inHg
Inlet Air Temp. 71.6 degF
Corr.used ATMC1 1.140

Ambient Temp. 54.1 degF
Humidity 21.8 %
Press. 26.44 inHg
Inlet Air Temp. 61.7 degF
Corr.used ATMC1 1.113

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sounds about right. Here at 6k ft the CF on my local Dyno Dynamics is anywhere from 1.28-1.34. We've found that using half of the actual CF gives us numbers that are pretty accurate when using a HP calculator (weight vs trap) and very close to UNcorrected numbers on local Dyno Jets. I was very impressed to see my car make 525whp/610wtq recently on a cold day with a 1.14 CF. Just some food for thought since those that use Dyno Dynamics Dyno's know they read low

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
550hp at sea level is absolutly possible we took our technical training from Tim Bailey at COBB in Portland and similar cars did exactly that. But at high altitude the turbochargers just aren't as effecient, we are not maxing out the MAF's, nor are we maxing out the fuel system.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good! We should have some pictures pretty soon of our exhausts!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ryan,

Is this on Sunny's dyno? I would like to see what my car puts down on a local dyno to compare against Tim's at Portland's elev. I was putting down just under 530 with downpipes, mid, catback and cobb intakes. Could you please PM me a cost to do injectors, pumps and retune for the spring?

Tom

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
How much boost were you guys running for the in-house tune? The horsepower is nice but the torque seems to be lacking throughout the entire rev range. Perhaps the difference is the downpipes and the 2012 inlet pipes. Glad to see a great option for tuning our GT-Rs though

edit: ahh, my mistake I thought the boost line was the torque line. To get similar horsepower using 2-3 less psi of boost is fantastic!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.