Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took a friend for a a ride in my car, outside temp is 39 degrees here so it's pretty cold. Tried to launch the car, tires spun, then got an error code for "touch point error, do not drive car untill message clears" or something like that. Drove a few miles and tried a launch again, same thing.

My car has just under 6k miles on it and I have had no issues so far. Do I need to have the touch points reset or is this another problem? Anyone else's have this happen?

·
Founder/Admin
26,479 Posts
you sure it wasnt clutch overheat warning? ive gotten that when launching in the cold low 40's with cold slick surface... and the tires never caught traction it spun for about 10 feet and i didnt let out of it for some dumb reason... warning popped up for about 30 secs then all was well... its not really a real clutch overheat it just detects the difference between the input and output of the driveshaft was too high... basically its saying calm down what your doing

its not a good thing for that to happen but at the same time its not an awful thing as it doesnt mean anything is broken or wrong... its almost like its babysitting you so you wont break anything... so in that sense its normal for launching like you did and spinning

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
MC, I wish I had taken a pic because I can't remember what it said. I got the caution triangle and the tranny symbol, but I'm pretty sure the message said something about touch points.

The light turned off after about 5 seconds both times, and the car drove fine. I'm sure it has something to do with it spinning on the launch, but still worries me.

Im going to try a launch next time I take the car out. Im just scared to take it to the dealer and tell them it gives an error when launching, as I dont want them taking the car out and launching it.

John, the car only has a midpipe.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
A customer had a problem like that and the car wouldn't launch.

I plugged my laptop into it and read the TCM warning history with my EcuTek software.

Warning history said "Y" indicating it got hot etc.

I cleared it everything went back to normal

If your still having a problem and worried about going to the dealer you can swing by our shop and I'll take a look for you

-John

·
Registered
420 Posts
^^^^Damn...now that's a good shop. Props to TheShopCT.

OP...I've never had that come up on my 12, but haven't tried launching it either in Michigan's cold ass weather. The tires slip under hard excel in 1st without the lauch in this cold weather.

Instead of trying to launch it again, I would let the vendor above scan it to make sure all is cool (just in case).

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John, thank you for that offer! I will let you know what I hear from the dealer. I'm just going to tell them I got a touch point error and I will have them look everything over, I don't want them launching the car to replicate it. The car is going in for the headlight replacement anyway.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
John, thank you for that offer! I will let you know what I hear from the dealer. I'm just going to tell them I got a touch point error and I will have them look everything over, I don't want them launching the car to replicate it. The car is going in for the headlight replacement anyway.
No problem - Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, car is at the dealer, and they didn't see any codes. I told them to reset the touch points, and I'm going to stop by tomorow and launch it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.