Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Thought I'd share with you guys my recent interior refresh of my 2010 GTR to the 2012 Radio/Climate control panel, and the 2012 gear knob. I would first like to thank Eric Stockton from Boulder Nissan for getting these out to me so quickly. Forewarning I will be going picture heavy in this post
Let's start off with my current setup, here is the current panel and my current gear knob:

As you guys can see I have the infamous gear knob peeling problem, hence the reason I ordered the 2012 gear knob. Here are the parts as I got them in the mail:

So I got the parts and headed to my local garage to have them installed and here are the results:

Now if you guys noticed there is something wrong with the install of the panel above.......yup we are missing the top panel finish of the radio panel. I noticed it when the guy at the garage first installed it but when I asked him he said this was because of the different model year. I drove home and kept looking at that top part, and was kind of bumped. It wasn't till I got home and checked NIckTo's post of his install that I realized there was in fact a piece that needed to be installed! I looked at the old panel that was removed and sure enough I found the piece attached to the top part here is a picture of it:

So I called up the guy I knew at the garage and he told me that he would get it fixed the next day since they are closed. I being the person I am couldn't wait till the next day the idea that there was something wrong with the install was bugging me. So armed with DIY instructions to remove the panel from a guy called "Charlies Charlies Charlies" (yes that is his nickname). I called up a friend and he was kind enough to help me go through the instructions and here you go the finished product:

Needless to say I had a good night's sleep that day knowing it was done correctly with the help of my own hand even

Hope you guys liked the pics and install!

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
Looks amazing buddy... Congratulations on a job well done... All you need now are the wheels and the rear bumper (with side diffuser air vents) and you pretty much have a 2012 GTR!!!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks amazing buddy... Congratulations on a job well done... All you need now are the wheels and the rear bumper (with side diffuser air vents) and you pretty much have a 2012 GTR!!!!
Thanks alot! Yeah I might end up with that lol
but I highly doubt I'm going to do the rear bumper. Simply because I have the Wald rear diffuser.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Looking good bro

Seriously considering doing the same

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
id swap over the silver lower collar from your 2010 gearknob

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
id swap over the silver lower collar from your 2010 gearknob
Thanks for the advice will defiantly do it next time I'm in the garage.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
looking good! The wheels will definitely complete it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like how it looks too and it does "fix" the issue I have most with the '09 interior. However, I just can't justify spending the $800+ for that part (I already have the knob through a warranty replacement), that is, unless you got it much cheaper

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did the carbon cover on the hvac panel and Nissan replaced my gear knob with a 2012 for free under warranty. You could have probably done the same since they cannot get the silver knobs any more apparently. It does look SO much better, good job!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I like how it looks too and it does "fix" the issue I have most with the '09 interior. However, I just can't justify spending the $800+ for that part (I already have the knob through a warranty replacement), that is, unless you got it much cheaper
I don't have any warranty so I needed to buy it. I thought it was worth it for a minor upgrade that really gives the interior a more refined look.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the carbon cover on the hvac panel and Nissan replaced my gear knob with a 2012 for free under warranty. You could have probably done the same since they cannot get the silver knobs any more apparently. It does look SO much better, good job!
Thanks Dave. Unfortunately I am not under warranty so I had to pay for it. Glad you liked it

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
601 Posts
Got a quick question for those with 2012 GT-Rs. Is that radio face plate made out of REAL CARBON FIBER? or is it treated plastic surface finisher that looks like carbon fiber? I checked the price and the lower center console plate costs only $124, which leads to me to believe the parts are fake carbon.

I am in the process of fabricating a real carbon fiber face plate but I suppose that would be quite pointless if the 2012 face is actually printed plastic.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Got a quick question for those with 2012 GT-Rs. Is that radio face plate made out of REAL CARBON FIBER? or is it treated plastic surface finisher that looks like carbon fiber? I checked the price and the lower center console plate costs only $124, which leads to me to believe the parts are fake carbon.

I am in the process of fabricating a real carbon fiber face plate but I suppose that would be quite pointless if the 2012 face is actually printed plastic.
no need to fabricate one dude

rsw.ne.jp sell there's pretty cheap to begin with

re 2012 it is real carbon - an overlay stuck onto the existing hvac piece

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
no need to fabricate one dude

rsw.ne.jp sell there's pretty cheap to begin with

re 2012 it is real carbon - an overlay stuck onto the existing hvac piece
Domino_Z is right on the money on this one. I went a different route than VashTS. I actually ordered all my parts from rsw and am very happy with the outcome as well. Check out the link for more information...

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?/topic/64146-cf-addiction-wing-interior-parts/page__fromsearch__1

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
how much is that HVAC panel?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how much is that HVAC panel?
Tshawa, it really goes back to personal taste ;) He has done a great job on his car but I really like the chrome finish on the new panel
Which is why I paid a little extra for it.

MF92 about $900

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks guys, great info. I will spare myself the toxic Epoxy fume and go with RSW.

*thumns up*

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.