Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Prepped:

Installation on the 2009 requires removal of one screw at the bottom of the 2009 valve body used to secure one of the wires crossing under the valve body. I'm leaving it hanging by it's other two points, but I'd like a detail of a 2012 valve body detail to see how Nissan accomodated that.

I've cross posted this from my Service and Maintainance thread and NickTo's update for you guys who just care about transmissions.

http://www.nagtroc.o...post__p__818834

http://www.nagtroc.o...h/page__st__100

Shawn

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Any details on the benefits of running the 2012 pan on the older cars?
Not yet. Likely that the updated baffles modify flow in the lower portion of the trams to optimize cooling. Also, there is a reduced fluid capacity for unknown reasons. I will report back on general temps later this year. This sort of redesign usually comes for a significant reason.

Shawn

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a detail of why I couldn't get the 2012 pan to fit the 2009 without removing the screw that secures the wire:

2009:

The boss that holds the screw (see next to the filter?) appears to be slightly shorter than on the 2009, and the screw appears to be low profile.

Thanks to Storm for the 2012 pictures.

And enshiu for the 2009 pictures.

Shawn

·
Registered
413 Posts
Shawn, what about just grinding down the top of the head of the offending screw so that it assumes the same profile as the 2012 one? it doesn't seem that they would be torqued down too much. Would it require removing too much metal?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shawn, what about just grinding down the top of the head of the offending screw so that it assumes the same profile as the 2012 one? it doesn't seem that they would be torqued down too much. Would it require removing too much metal?
Unknown. The pan was within milimeters of fully seating with the screw in place. Probably 1-2mm off the screw would have done the job. They were not torqued much. I just left it off - the wire is pretty secure under there - there isn't much movement.

I may have full track test of the new configuration within a month. Carolina Motorsports Park is opening up.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Looking at the old and new pan designs, I would suspect the design change has more to do with improving draining when doing a fluid change such that less fluid stays in the pan and also the shape of the baffles might reduce noise and vibration of the mostly flat surface of the pan. Large thin flat surfaces such as the bottom of the pan are subject to multiple modes of vibration, and the specific location of the new baffles might reduce the amplitude of these vibrations and thus reduce the radiated noise from the pan. Their shape and location should improve the re-circulation of the fluid into the filter inlet with a little less stagnation of the fluid in the corners of the pan.That might allow them to use less fluid as less of it is staying in the pan and not moving around much. Also in high-G cornering, the new baffles might keep more fluid around the inlet of the filter to help reduce any chances of fluid starvation. The baffles are not likely going to improve cooling, as I can't see how they would accomplish any heat rejection improvements. Of course only the transmission designers know for sure the main purpose of the re-design of the transmission oil pan. So all in all likely a worthwhile and extremely easy and cheap improvement at your next fluid change.

Makes you wonder about the benefit or lack of benefit of the deep sump design of the aftermarket billet pans with their flat bottoms! One of the many reasons I went with the HKS DCT cooler as it retains the OEM oil pan with its baffle design on the tranny.

Thanks Shawn for posting that up.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Makes you wonder about the benefit or lack of benefit of the deep sump design of the aftermarket billet pans with their flat bottoms! One of the many reasons I went with the HKS DCT cooler as it retains the OEM oil pan with its baffle design on the tranny.

Thanks Shawn for posting that up.
No problem. I'm still hoping for some heat change. There were fairly multiple internal changes here, and one would hope they had that it mind.

Interesting that HKS was one of the manufacturers with a billet pan with flat bottom, eh?

Shawn

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shawn are the bottom of the old vs 2012 pans viewed from the outside noticeably different at all? Curious if that would confirm if I got a 2012 transmission as my replacement..
Yes. On the bottom of the pan of the 2009, you can see the indent of the welds. They are in an X pattern. On the 2012 they appear in two curves. You have to look closely, but they are there.

Shawn

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
No problem. I'm still hoping for some heat change. There were fairly multiple internal changes here, and one would hope they had that it mind.

Interesting that HKS was one of the manufacturers with a billet pan with flat bottom, eh?

Shawn
Not exactly flat bottom. HKS cast pan has the 'X' patern on the bottom like the OEM pan.

I think SSP is the first one with billet pan with flat bottom.

I also thought the X pattern was to add strength to the weak stamped metal pan and some sorta stopper for the filer to be in place. I never really thought about the oil flow characteristic. Interesting. Let us know if any changes are observed.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
The bracing on either oil pan will add strength and reduce vibration and noise from the thin flat section. The original X design makes a symmetrical pattern, and pan would resonate at the same frequencies from each similar section. New layout is assymetrical, and thus resonances would be different from each section of the pan, and not add up at specific frequencies. But I think the orientation change is to improve oil getting to the filter inlet on the middle of the large flat filter assembly, by holding the oil more toward the center once it gets there from the edges of the pan. As for cooling improvements, I can't see how that would change, since there is no more airflow on the outside, and no more coolant flow from the engine, and heat rejection comes either from the air or the coolant. I have never seen the inside of the HKS pan which they sell for increasing strength of the case with their exterior honeycomb design. Are there any pics of the inside of that pan showing the X pattern?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
That is a good looking piece of metal. So looks like that HKS pan contains the same amount of fluid as the OEM pan, and is not deeper. Nice, and expensive! I would have bought the HKS diff cooler, but so pricey too! Almost $3k.

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
That is a good looking piece of metal. So looks like that HKS pan contains the same amount of fluid as the OEM pan, and is not deeper. Nice, and expensive! I would have bought the HKS diff cooler, but so pricey too! Almost $3k.
it does allow slightly more amount than the oem pan iirc.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The HKS pan also includes fitments for a pump based oil cooler.

Funny, I thinks.

Shawn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.