Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Founder/Admin
26,253 Posts
From Motor Authority

The Nissan GT-R has just successfully completed its first Nürburgring 24 Hours outing in production trim, managing to finish first in its class and 30th overall in the grueling endurance race.

However, as these latest shots reveal, even on a relatively quiet day the Nürburgring race track can prove difficult to tame.

Pictured above is a 2013 Nissan GT-R used by Nissan for testing purposes.

While running some hot laps on the German circuit late yesterday, the driver of the GT-R lost control of the car when coming into a corner with too much speed. After running off the track, at an area known as the Schwalbenschwanz, the car eventually crashed into a barrier, causing the damage seen on its side.

Fortunately, the driver was able to walk away from the crash. However, we're sure his ego will have suffered a few bruises.

While it's unclear why Nissan is testing its GT-R so vigorously on the Nürburgring now that the race is over, it could be that the automaker is out to set an official time for the latest 2013 model. Currently, the 2013 Nissan GT-R only has an unofficial Nürburgring lap time of 7:21, which is stupidly fast for a car that starts at less than $100k but somewhat meaningless unless it's official.
\\\\\

·
Founder/Admin
26,253 Posts
i guess this was a 2013 "testing" but is it possible this is a 2014 ( 2013 global) car doing some shake down runs... is it me or does the intercooler area look different?
its also left hand drive but has the pedestrian impact hood release... i thought LHD cars dont have that...do they?

·
Founder/Admin
26,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks to me like there is some sort of additional oil cooler of some kind in front of the intercoolers.
exactly something is different with this car its definitely not the traditional production set up... you can see the piping running over to the passenger side

this was a nissan owned car so something was going on

·
Registered
468 Posts
Also running staggered setup?

·
Stealth
550 Posts
damn.... the intercooler does look odd... Gonna love those matte black rays tho.

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
I'm guessing they will break under 7:19. They should try it with the optional carbon brakes.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Cool thing about running a stock car at the Ring is that if one gets damaged, Mizuno just phones Japan to send over another one from the factory. Hope nobody was injured in the accident. You know you are pushing the limits when things like this occur.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Nothing gets past you guys. But I'm confused about a few things.
1) am I seeing 2 helmeted heads inside the car? If not, what is that in what appears to be the right side seat? A space alien? If so, why would they go for record with two people/space alien in the car? Intergalactic record?
2) if they are going for record, aren't they insistent that car is bone stock? That alone would imply this is a 2014 if the plumbing is in fact rearranged. It does look different down there but I sure can't tell what I am seeing.
3) whatsup with the BE Rays? I thought those were only on vSpec, track pack, and US BEs. But vSpec is out of production and US BEs have dry carbon wing, which this car doesn't. One more reason to suspect that this could be "2014"my. If it was a new track pack, I would have expected that cool new carbon lip and different wing as part of the package.

It does seem like it's about time to be working on next model year and presumably there will be changes coming.

·
Founder/Admin
26,253 Posts
not sure but it does look like a passenger and silver helmet

they wernt going for a record i dont think. they usually do that September when they do their yearly official model year development shake downs

im pretty sure its some type of cooler
those wheels are their go to wheel for R&D always have been.. i wouldnt read anything into them as it being a certain package..... they used them even before the specV existed back on the nismo clubsport development... they are just the wheel of choice when doing testing it seems.. when they ran the 7:26 in the 2010 GTR they were running a stock GTR but with those wheels

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's the power steering oil cooler

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Ok, once record run is off the table it all starts to make sense.
It will be interesting to see how quickly the 24hr endurance racer mods find their way onto new models. I guess we don't usually start getting significant next MY rumors until Fall, like around October, isn't that pretty much the pattern?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts