Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
R35 Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on the official press release for the 2013 GT-R, Nissan says the following:

"Improved intake efficiency - Air flow resistance has been reduced by adding an intake manifold fitted to the head of each unit and the use of resin in the enlarged air intake duct for the intercooler, and

Improved exhaust emissions efficiency and enhanced control - Air flow resistance has been reduced through a more compact underfloor catalyzer which improves emissions efficiency and reduces weight. For improved exhaust valve cooling performance, a newly-designed metallic sodium-filled valve has been adopted. Valve control timing, the air mixture ratio and ignition timing have been improved as well."

Does this mean the intake manifold has been integrated somehow into the head and is no longer a part that can be unbolted? Also, it seems like they are using a new type of catalytic converter, which maybe accounts for a significant portion of the increased cost and horsepower. Anyone know more about this?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I still have a few weeks to wait before I have a hood to pop, but MC usually has the skinny on this sort of thing. I am glad you brought it up, have been wondering about it myself. Any changes to the heads? Iirc, there were some rumors to that effect.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
I still have a few weeks to wait before I have a hood to pop, but MC usually has the skinny on this sort of thing. I am glad you brought it up, have been wondering about it myself. Any changes to the heads? Iirc, there were some rumors to that effect.
a newly-designed metallic sodium-filled valve has been adopted.
The RB26 used sodium filled exhaust valves. They help to draw some heat out away from the valve face.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
^ from that diagram you would not need any changes to heads to substitute sodium filled valves. Simple swap out. But Aren't the valve stems often a little fatter to maintain strength while being hollow? That would require different guides at least. And this would be on the exhaust side, am I right? But my main question is more along the lines of whether the headed are ported, etc, as part of the improved intake flow advertised. Probably not I suspect. Otherwise they would presumably be making a bigger deal about it.

·
GTR-KID
655 Posts
you guys realize that the 2013 is only rated @ +15hp more right? You guys are chasing a ghost!
...the majority of the improvements are in the tune.
Their woried about modding the intake and what not. if it is a one peice than alot would have to be changed compared to past years

·
R35 Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm actually just kind of curious as to why they would have re-done the intake manifold, especially since it probably only adds about 2-3 hp out of the 15 hp claimed gain for 2013.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm actually just kind of curious as to why they would have re-done the intake manifold, especially since it probably only adds about 2-3 hp out of the 15 hp claimed gain for 2013.
yeah, seems like the changes made didn't equate to much in terms of measurable performance. one more reason to wonder if it is more about setting the stage for something else to follow, eg, in my2014. not too early to start the next round of speculation, hehe

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just FYI, I did a bunch of research into this and the intake manifold did NOT change for 2013. The lower intake manifold is the same for 2009-2014 (14003JF00A) and the upper is the same for 2010-2014 (14010JF00B). The only difference is the upper intake manifold from 2009 vs 2010-2014. This was due to coolant running through the throttle bodies which Nissan did away with for the 2010 model year.

So if the intake manifold did not change, any idea what Nissan was referring to with the following (translated) statement: "Improved intake efficiency - Air flow resistance has been reduced by adding an intake manifold fitted to the head of each unit?" I'm thinking this got misconstrued during the Japanese to English language translation of the official 2013 (2012 Global) Press Release. I'm wondering what they were referring to that did change if it wasn't the intake manifold...

·
NJ Strong
1,296 Posts
who cares....friends dont let friends drive stock anyways...MOD FTW

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.